Thread: need help with a glitch in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default need help with a glitch in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Deets: I'm playing the PS2 version, "Greatest Hits" release. The cover art doesn't look like the cartoony prince running along the walls but rather shows a more realistic looking prince standing there and staring off wherever (it actually looks exactly like the cover art to The Forgotten Sands).

The glitch happened in the baths. There's a room with three pressure plates that open three doors. Farah stands on one, you push a statue into the other, and run up a wall to get to the last one. Okay, what happened was I saved, did this puzzle and was about to continue on, but something came up so I turned it off. So when I turned it back on, I expected I would have to do the puzzle again...

But this time, Farah's pressure plate isn't doing anything. One of the three doors simply won't open. I've tried reloading the game, running back to a different room and re-entering, and even killing Farah and then re-winding time but all to no avail.

So has anyone ever experienced this glitch before? This is such a popular game its a surprise nothing I've read ever mentioned this. And is there a way to circumvent it, or am I just going to have to restart the game from scratch?

Insert Coin (Level 0) orakio_rob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know nothing about this bug, but your post reminded me of the many bugs I've found playing "Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within" on the Gamecube.

The game froze once; the music suddenly stopped playing every time I went through a certain sequence; and a bug very similar to the one you've just described kept me from fighting the final boss. I entered the chamber where I would take a teleporter to the last boss... saved the game... and then the teleporter just wouldn't work. Man, I was furious.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Deets: I'm playing the PS2 version, "Greatest Hits" release. The cover art doesn't look like the cartoony prince running along the walls but rather shows a more realistic looking prince standing there and staring off wherever (it actually looks exactly like the cover art to The Forgotten Sands).
    Yeah, they did this for the release of Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, i think it was just a marketing idea/trickery. There was nothing new about the disc either, just the artwork, and disk artwork, data was the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So has anyone ever experienced this glitch before? This is such a popular game its a surprise nothing I've read ever mentioned this. And is there a way to circumvent it, or am I just going to have to restart the game from scratch?
    I haven't heard about this specific glitch, but Sands of Time is well known to be glitched in several areas (the infamous elevator section forces you to go back to a previous save...if you have one). IIRC, the glitches all revolve around quitting the game between specific sequences and the game auto-saving. It sounds like that's what you might have done. You should have multiple saves, right?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yep. I normally don't multiple save for really linear games but I'm changing this practice as of now.