Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 3DS MASSIVE Price Drop - 250 to 170

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Still waiting until the thing is successfully hacked and under $150.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Still waiting until the thing is successfully hacked and under $150.
    People want Nintendo's (or anyone's, really) systems to be open-source so badly that I cannot for the life of me figure out why they don't just give it to people what they want. Do they seriously not see that there is the possibility for a bonanza of bucks and indie goodness to be had, regardless of the risks of piracy (which IMO are probably a bit overblown)?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    People want Nintendo's (or anyone's, really) systems to be open-source so badly that I cannot for the life of me figure out why they don't just give it to people what they want. Do they seriously not see that there is the possibility for a bonanza of bucks and indie goodness to be had, regardless of the risks of piracy (which IMO are probably a bit overblown)?
    How would being open source benefit Nintendo in any way? Even assuming you gain a few thousand new owners comprising the usual group of folks who buy open source handhelds and who won't abuse it, you also bring in tens of thousands of "casual" pirates (i.e. people who are too lazy or aren't willing to risk bricking their system, but will gladly pirate if there is no risk or work). Pirate is a massive problem for Nintendo and every other console manufacturer worldwide and it does significantly impact their bottom line. Reducing even the minimal protection they have against it won't make it better, it will make it far worse and offset any minimal good will and additional sales they make to open source fans.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Multi-billion dollar international corporations need protection from the general public? That's a turnabout of the tripe I usually come across, and not in a pleasant way. It's actually, somewhat sickening.

If their revenue is hurting, it's their problem. Scapegoating is very popular though. Easy as hell too. Much harder than figuring out how you screwed up and how to get back in the swing of things. You only do that when you have to, and when you're a major business interest, you never have to. Ask the banks.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    How would being open source benefit Nintendo in any way?...Reducing even the minimal protection they have against it won't make it better, it will make it far worse and offset any minimal good will and additional sales they make to open source fans.
    Valve / Steam seems to be selling plenty of games, despite the fact that the operating system(s) upon which they offer them are not theirs whatsoever. Maybe "open source" is too much of a stretch - better way to word it might be "more open." Plenty of those games available on Steam are "pirate-able", to boot, and lots of people do pirate them (Terraria is one example) - but the developers are still raking in a ton of money, and Steam / Valve is likewise profitable.

In short: it may just benefit Nintendo because their system would completely dominate the market. Who in the world would develop for anything besides the Nintendo DS, if there were no barriers to its development and everyone had one?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

For my part, it's less an interest in an open-source system or whatever and more just me becoming increasingly pro-piracy the older I get.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I think it is a different deal. The one I'm talking about requires you to be a PowerUp rewards member. I found out about it online but when I checked my rewards account the coupon was there and it doesn't list differing values for each system.
    This somehow makes it tempting to take the plunge though I'd miss my GBA games; I guess I could always get a nice GPA SP to take the place of my DSLite
    I can confirm this, you have to actually go to the Powerup Rewards website to get coupon. Its a pretty sweet deal and I'm actually going to take advantage of it now. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Traded in my DS lite earlier today. There are some things I like and don't like about the 3DS but overall it feels like a much higher quality product then my DS lite. At a 100 bucks I am not disappointed so far.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 08-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Multi-billion dollar international corporations need protection from the general public?
    Multinational corporations don't exist. It's a legal fiction. What you're referring to is "lots of people doing a series of interrelated jobs."

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No argument from me on that.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Edit: Traded in my DS lite earlier today. There are some things I like and don't like about the 3DS but overall it feels like a much higher quality product then my DS lite. At a 100 bucks I am not disappointed so far.
    I just did the same myself. I was going to get one anyways eventually and the 99.00 deal just kind of made it too hard to pass up. Currently its charging and its killing me. I just want too put my screen protectors on and play. I got Steel Diver and Galaga; what did you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I just did the same myself. I was going to get one anyways eventually and the 99.00 deal just kind of made it too hard to pass up. Currently its charging and its killing me. I just want too put my screen protectors on and play. I got Steel Diver and Galaga; what did you get?
    Same here my DS lite despite infrequently being used was getting a little ragged anyways and this is definitely a nice upgrade. I really like how solid this console feels in comparison to my DSlite and how much better put together it is.

That being said the layer cake design all the press seem to love is rather meh in my eyes and the dpad's location and feel are a little strange to me. The one thing driving me cray though is the stylus location has gotten old really fast. It was much better having it tucked in on the side then having it on the "top" of the console. Other then that its pretty cool and well worth the 100 bucks I spent on it so far.

Actually I've been playing Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin (the best in the series!)

The only game I'm remotely interested in at the moment is Ghost Recon Shadow Warrior so I may pick that up but not at the moment. Any title that I really want on the console aren't out yet and wont be for at least half a year so I really just picked this up as an upgrade for my DSlite until more titles come along.

Edit: I also suggest you put those screen protectors on as soon as possible. I've had the console for a day and I am already seeing the vertical lines on my top screen from the raised bevel around the bottom screen. The first thing I did after opening the box is put on the screen protectors so its just scratching those..but at least on my cosmo black it is a problem.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 08-14-2011 at 04:56 PM.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Edit: I also suggest you put those screen protectors on as soon as possible. I've had the console for a day and I am already seeing the vertical lines on my top screen from the raised bevel around the bottom screen. The first thing I did after opening the box is put on the screen protectors so its just scratching those..but at least on my cosmo black it is a problem.
    Yeah that was a concern, I screwed up my cut-to-fit protectors (I usually do don't know why I keep trying them) so I ordered a fitted set from Amazon. Til then I'm keeping that little peice of packing in between the screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that was a concern, I screwed up my cut-to-fit protectors (I usually do don't know why I keep trying them) so I ordered a fitted set from Amazon. Til then I'm keeping that little peice of packing in between the screens.
    i was having the same problem with those vertical lines on the top screen, came across a good idea thats brilliant in its simplicity, goodbye vertical line smudges!:

http://kotaku.com/5827483/the-xbox-3...ds-screen-woes

If you own (and use) a Nintendo 3DS, you've probably noticed that the system's top screen can get marked up and scratched rather easily, just by closing and carrying it around for the sake of Street Passing.

Nintendo has recommended that 3DS owners place a cloth between the screens to prevent any damage, but some gamers just weren't satisfied by that hit-or-miss solution and opted instead to think outside the box. One NeoGAF MacGyver yanked the rubber feet off an Xbox 360 and adhered them to the top corners of the 3DS. That keeps the top and bottom screens of the 3DS from touching when the system is closed, and therefore alleviates the scratches and marks on the top screen.

The folks at MS Xbox World even checked with Nintendo, and discovered that this simple action, which is reversible considering the feet can be removed, keeps your 3DS warranty intact.
    Last edited by dairugger; 08-15-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Clever idea, but it's ashame consumers have to do something like this just to protect their screens from normal use.

After the better part of a decade of Nintendo portables with a flip up screen (The GBA SP models and the entire DS line), there isn't an excuse for this problem. It isn't exactly rocket science to design it where the screens don't touch anything when the system is closed up.

Makes it all the more easier for me to wait for a hardware revision.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-15-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this scratching thing that only happens to some 3DS's and not others? I'm really rough with my launch 3DS.. carrying it in my pocket, leaving it on the bathroom floor etc, and it's screens are still pretty pristine (whenever I clean them of course).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Interestingly, I've been seeing a few buy it now auctions pop up on eBay for Ambassador Ready 3DS systems, priced at around $300 a piece. Not sure if people are actually buying them or if the auctions are being pulled, but they seem to vanish within a matter of hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    i was having the same problem with those vertical lines on the top screen, came across a good idea thats brilliant in its simplicity, goodbye vertical line smudges!:

http://kotaku.com/5827483/the-xbox-3...ds-screen-woes

If you own (and use) a Nintendo 3DS, you've probably noticed that the system's top screen can get marked up and scratched rather easily, just by closing and carrying it around for the sake of Street Passing.

Nintendo has recommended that 3DS owners place a cloth between the screens to prevent any damage, but some gamers just weren't satisfied by that hit-or-miss solution and opted instead to think outside the box. One NeoGAF MacGyver yanked the rubber feet off an Xbox 360 and adhered them to the top corners of the 3DS. That keeps the top and bottom screens of the 3DS from touching when the system is closed, and therefore alleviates the scratches and marks on the top screen.

The folks at MS Xbox World even checked with Nintendo, and discovered that this simple action, which is reversible considering the feet can be removed, keeps your 3DS warranty intact.
    Thats a good idea, but I found a better method on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXc4...eature=related

The rubber bumpers on the 3ds are actually in their own recessed grove instead of being just atached to the surface of the system. All I did on mine is use some dual sided mounting tape and shoved it into the recess then put back on the bumper. This way you have no adhesive to take off of your system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really happy about the price drop. Otherwise the 3ds would be beyond my budget. I probably still won't buy it this year, but next year it will be a more than likely purchase as long as the economy doesn't get too much worse. I really do love Nintendo consoles and want it to have some serious success this holiday season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a good idea, but I found a better method on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXc4...eature=related

The rubber bumpers on the 3ds are actually in their own recessed grove instead of being just atached to the surface of the system. All I did on mine is use some dual sided mounting tape and shoved it into the recess then put back on the bumper. This way you have no adhesive to take off of your system.
    thats a pretty good idea, ill have to try it out once i get some double sided tape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hit up your local Ikea and grab a (free) tiny sheet of the rubber bumpers they use on cabinet doors.