Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gameboy Advance SP - headphone/charger splitter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was thinking about this again recently. Has something better-constructed and more readily-available materialized in the last two years?

I did find http://dx.com/p/2-in-1-rf-stereo-wir...dvance-sp-4491 , which looks like you can plug in a charger and headphones simultaneously, but it's impossible to tell – the headphone jack might only be for the built-in radio. Also, it's sold out.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 01-05-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Nothing crappy about them, really. Except that they won't let you charge while you're using them.
    The one I have reverses the stereo. Right channel comes out left headphone, etc. That's a little crappy.

(yeah replying to a 2011 post, I know)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So I found this Gamester Headphone Audio Out Adapter. I contacted the seller and was informed that the side not shown does indeed have a female charging port along with a headphone jack, meaning this should in theory allow simultaneous charging and use of headphones.

A bit more digging suggests that this doodad is a component of the Gamester Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP Starter Kit.

I think I might try ordering one of these, but have any of you encountered something like this before? Do you have pictures? Does it actually work as suggested?

EDIT: Pictures are available in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsffjNIrQg . No indication of its functionality, though.

The adapter also appears to be inside the "Phat Pack":
    http://www.amazon.com/GAMESTER-Game-...ref=pd_sxp_f_i

And there's a manual at http://service.mattel.com/instruction_sheets/73810.pdf which touts a "dual input of both the headphones and the power adapter".
    Last edited by Jorpho; 01-27-2014 at 08:45 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    That's what I don't like about the GBA line. There really is no ideal hardware for it. The original has no backlight or rechargeable battery. The SP isn't built as well (power switches lose conductivity over time) and has no headphone jack. The micro is too small. The DS and DS Lite don't support the link cable and don't have ideal button placement. At least the micro is good for non-action games like SRPGs and JRPGs.
    There's a solution to this problem

It's not something people really notice. Either that, or I'm unlucky. But while the system has been on for a while, if you wiggle the power switch around a bit, you'll see the LED turn from green to red to green again. It just seems that the switch mechanism is cheaper than the original's or micro's.
    The power switches on the original GBA and the SP are prone to being touchy. There's a pretty simple solution to the problem though. If anyone needs to restore one, let me know and I'll explain how to repair the switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    The power switches on the original GBA and the SP are prone to being touchy. There's a pretty simple solution to the problem though. If anyone needs to restore one, let me know and I'll explain how to repair the switch.
    Prithee, what's the solution? No need to tease. (Or would you prefer to start a new thread?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prithee, what's the solution? No need to tease. (Or would you prefer to start a new thread?)
    Yeah, I would't mind hearing the fix either since I've got an SP that has the exact problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, it was just more than I wanted to write out at the time.

The problem seems to be that the switch either becomes logged with dirt/dust/debris, or suffers from a little corrosion, care if its rather open design. This is what I/we do and it seems to solve the problem about 95% of the time. You'll really want a syringe with a needle attached. If you don't have a diabetic aunt or a serious drug problem, then you'll have to find another method by which to deliver the fluid. 91% or greater isopropyl injected right into the switch itself. Saturate it really well, then quickly flick the switch back and forth a few dozen times (a tweezers is really helpful here). Then blast the switch with canned air until you're certain that it's nice and dry, then give it a go. Like I said, this solves the problem almost every time. A large percentage of the GBAs that I purchase have this issue and this is the solution which has proven both very successful and quite simple. Absolute last ditch effort is doing the same thing with Tarn-X, followed by the isopropyl to clean up the Tarn-X (which is very important, as Tarn-X will actually cause corrosion if left sitting for too long). With this combo, I can safely say that 99% of power switch issues with the GBA & GBA SP can be resolved

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

What about this one: Is there a splitter for both charging your PSP Go and using the video output cable that uses the same port as the charger?

Or when the battery is dead in x years will it be impossible to use the video cable ever again?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wiggyx, my backlit SP has this problem. Thanks for the information.

If anyone wants to pursue this, I found this handy picture tutorial a while back. Was considering buying a SP for parts to cannibalize the switch from but I'll instead try to resurrect the original power switch.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo...lacement/12889

One peculiar thing it started doing the last time I used it though was that it had started turning itself off during gameplay (Prior to this, the switch would just immediately lose contact when powering it on, but once I had it on it would stay on). I assumed that this was just a symptom of the power switch progressively getting worse. But then it gave me a low battery light and charging it took just a few minutes before it again showed a full charge.

Could the battery issue also be related to the power switch itself? Or should I perhaps plan on also replacing the battery even though I doubt it has ever seen more than 20 charges since I bought this system new the last year that they could easily be found at retail around Christmas time (So it's one of the youngest Game Boy Advance handhelds out there).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, good to know the switch thing is so straightforward. Thank you for that.

But I guess the only way I'm going to get to the bottom of this Gamester thing is to order it up and see what happens...

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    No, it was just more than I wanted to write out at the time.

The problem seems to be that the switch either becomes logged with dirt/dust/debris, or suffers from a little corrosion, care if its rather open design. This is what I/we do and it seems to solve the problem about 95% of the time. You'll really want a syringe with a needle attached. If you don't have a diabetic aunt or a serious drug problem, then you'll have to find another method by which to deliver the fluid. 91% or greater isopropyl injected right into the switch itself. Saturate it really well, then quickly flick the switch back and forth a few dozen times (a tweezers is really helpful here). Then blast the switch with canned air until you're certain that it's nice and dry, then give it a go. Like I said, this solves the problem almost every time. A large percentage of the GBAs that I purchase have this issue and this is the solution which has proven both very successful and quite simple. Absolute last ditch effort is doing the same thing with Tarn-X, followed by the isopropyl to clean up the Tarn-X (which is very important, as Tarn-X will actually cause corrosion if left sitting for too long). With this combo, I can safely say that 99% of power switch issues with the GBA & GBA SP can be resolved
    Much appreciated. I'll have to try that. Would have been good to know about three years ago. :P
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No prob, folks. I've gutted more than my fair share at this point, and have little reservation about trying most anything to bring one back to life, so I've tried all manner of wacky idea before figuring this out. Glad I could help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, there is one made by Madcatz. Here's a picture of it:

Can anyone at least figure out which Mad Catz kit might have included this thing? It's not the Starter Kit SP, nor does it appear that it was sold separately.

EDIT: Ahh, it's the Macro Kit! Unfortunately no one is selling one.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 01-29-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks wiggy! I will have to give it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, my Gamester Starter Pack SP arrived today, and preliminary tests are favorable! I can play stuff on my EZ-Flash IV while charging and using headphones at the same time, and the power light stays a steady green. There is no discernible difference in sound quality, even in my nice oversized "cans". If it was really that easy to make a functional adapter like this, then I have to wonder: why the heck are they so hard to find!?

In case you're wondering, if I plug my standard SP headphone adapter into the Gamester adapter's power jack, then it basically acts as a Y-splitter and I can get sound from two pairs of headphones at once.

I'm a little concerned that there might actually be some kind of loose connection within my SP, as I eventually managed to get the SP to shut down while I was plugging adapters in and out of the power jack. Maybe the problems I've been having can be attributed to wiggling the headphone adapter the wrong way? Also, at one point this happened (click for big):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gbasp.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	7372
    That's a B&W Game Boy game (played from a genuine Nintendo Game Boy cartridge), except instead of appearing in a square in the middle of the screen, with black bars on either side, the image has been stretched horizontally to fill the entire GBA SP screen! I can only surmise that some circuit or another got interrupted briefly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The R and L buttons toggle normal aspect ratio and stretched (don't know if you knew that or not).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh. Oops. No, I did not know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You can also pick whatever colors you want too between a D-pad direction alone or coupled with the B or A button. The GB micro also has shortcuts too like holding I think L+volume to up/down the brightness. Nintendo likes to hide or not so hide in plain sight interesting features.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone at least figure out which Mad Catz kit might have included this thing? It's not the Starter Kit SP, nor does it appear that it was sold separately.

EDIT: Ahh, it's the Macro Kit! Unfortunately no one is selling one.
    Yep, I ended getting that one on Ebay for pretty cheap, not quite a year ago. Does the job.
    Though, wiggy's modded model GBA would be the best