Thread: Advice on getting into the games industry?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Advice on getting into the games industry?

Anybody got any SERIOUS advice on getting into the games industry?
    ((Director/Producer/manager Field?))

Ok, so I've decided to get into the games industry for my career,
    looking for some Serious Advice to getting into the industry to running my own games company.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Well first question would be have you started/finished college? What experience do you have? Have you looked into possible programs that are offered and do the schools have a working relationship with the industry?

I don't think its as simple as "im going to start a game company" unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Anybody got any SERIOUS advice on getting into the games industry?
    As a matter of fact, I do.

Don't ask advice from people who probably have no idea other than the obvious(what Robocop2 stated.) Your best bet is to go to a specific college that's aimed towards that line of work. More than likely you won't be doing any development or management either. Like any other company you're more than likely to start on the lower ranks until you prove yourself.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I suggest getting a job in QA to get at least a glimpse of the industry from the inside, particularly for a smaller publisher.

It's a strange industry to be sure and by no means an easy one to work in.

Almost everyone I've ever worked with on the development side has spent time in QA. From producer on down.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There are a couple industry folks around including ProgrammingAce. You could reach out to him for some advice. Having said that, there is no one path into the games industry. Just like the entertainment industry in general, having the right technical skills, being in the right place at the right time and getting to know the right people are the keys. Unfortunately, there is no single sure fire way to have all those things come together. The only thing you can really fully control is getting a good education at a good school in programming or engineering or a related field with a good mix of business and creative courses. Even then, you're competing against thousands of other people with similar backgrounds. It's tough, but you just have to keep at it and do everything you can to get your foot in the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I suggest getting a job in QA to get at least a glimpse of the industry from the inside, particularly for a smaller publisher.

It's a strange industry to be sure and by no means an easy one to work in.

Almost everyone I've ever worked with on the development side has spent time in QA. From producer on down.
    This. It's how myself and everyone I know got started.
    You just have to bust your ass and work your way up and around for a few years to get at something like a producer spot.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im currently undergoing a Certificate 4 in multimedia, for which I am excelling.
    ((Also includes 3D modelling in Maya))
    plan to get into business management after my course finishes.
    I realise how tough the industry is and how many "kids" in their early 20's like myself want to get in and all find themselves working behind front counters in game stores forever.

Im also trying to get work experience in the field if possible being in Australia with no big game companies around.

I Was thinking Of Creating my own game using low cost dev softwares to showcase my Skills for those already in the Game industry world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In any form of employment, it's all about the contacts you make. Get to know people who work in the industry!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You could always mail Nintendo a letter asking them if they would allow you to have your own development studio with watermarked subliminal messages on printed into the letter. Water marked text (like this.)

Dear Nintendo, (want some crack?)

I have (crack rock) always wanted to become a (crack head) video game developer. I went to school and stuff(I left you some crack, yo.) Hire me(Hire me.) Plz(Plz.) K, thks(K, thks.)

P.S. There is a small pouch full of crack while you "think" about it(P.S. There is a small pouch full of crack while you "think" about it.)

You will receive a call 20 minutes after they receive the letter. You don't need to worry how they got your number even though you didn't leave it in the letter. They'll know.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-03-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My advice would be to reconsider unless you hate your life and enjoy working ridiculous overtime with little compensation. Granted, I only know four people who work in game development, but they're all miserable and hate their jobs.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

My advice would be to read what kupomogli says and do the exact opposite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    My advice would be to read what kupomogli says and do the exact opposite.
    This often applies.

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Almost no one starts as a Director or Producer. Work your way up from the bottom and/or get some experience overseeing large projects and managing teams in another industry, ideally some form of software development.

If you want to start your own company, either learn enough to make a game on your own or gather a couple other talented friends and make some apps for iPhone or some such. If that's successful enough, that can get the ball rolling.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm friends with several people who work in the industry, and I can tell you this: you WILL start at the bottom of the totem pole.

If you know how to do 3D modeling, good. A good friend of mine is a senior environmental artist for a dev studio and says that companies that are hiring LOVE to see online portfolios. When looking at renders, they want to see flashy, detailed stuff. In the case of vehicles and machinery, the more greebles you can add to a model, the better.

He's worked at a few gaming studios, one of which was Pandemic. That being said, be prepared for the inevitable layoff. It WILL happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snesguy666 View Post
    I Was thinking Of Creating my own game using low cost dev softwares to showcase my Skills for those already in the Game industry world.
    Well, at least you're not one of those types who expects to be sitting around all day coming up with brilliant ideas that other people will implement. Danged if I know what makes you think "business management" will get you anywhere, though. Methinks you should learn to program.

Extra Credits had a rather thoughtful video on the subject a while back, but frankly I think the guy who does those vids is entirely too full of himself.

P.S. Learning To write Properly without capitalizing Random words Will Serve you Well In many Fields Of Endeavor.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    This often applies.
    I'd argue that it always applies. Dude is bitter like yesterdays coffee.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't given this advice in a while...

Seriously consider if this is what you want to do for the rest of your life. There are very few 40 year old people in the game industry.

- You *will* work incredibly long hours, my record is 84 hours straight. I came in to work on Friday morning and left Monday night.

- People in the game industry have a much higher rate of divorce. I've seen numbers as high as 50% above average divorce rate.

- Prepared to be laid off regularly. Whenever a game is completed, a 20% reduction in staff is common. If another project isn't lined up, expect up to 80% of the company to be fired.

- Expect lower then average pay. Game studios know there are people lined up around the block to work in the game industry. Expect to be paid 10-25% less then average for your given profession. Ten percent might not seem like a lot now, but imagine how it compounds into your retirement over the course of your career.

Now that being said, i personally love working in the game industry, there's no other profession i would rather have.

People will tell you nonsense like starting in QA to get your foot in the door. Don't do that. QA blows, and they're often unpaid interns. Game companies work with colleges to get free labor. I know very few people with well paying jobs who started in QA.

Now for the real tips on how to get into the industry:

Be prepared to move anywhere in north america. Game developers usually hire their friends who have experience in the industry. So to find a real open position that you actually have a chance at is rare. You're not going to be able to be picky about where in the country you get to work.

Come up with a skill that game companies actually want. 3D modeling, programming, 2D art design are about all they want. Game companies don't hire writers, they don't hire "idea people", and they don't hire students.

Now how to actually find a job:
    Go to this website: http://www.gamedevmap.com/

Go state by state through the map and click on every website listed. Find their job postings email address, find their "contact us" link, find somewhere you can submit user data to the company and send each and every one of them your resume. 99% of them aren't hiring and will throw away your resume. Every 6 months, send out another round of resumes to each and every one of those companies. Eventually one of them will call you back for an interview.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, but does that all apply to the prestigious "Director/Producer/manager Field" ?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The gaming industry's the ultimate YMMV.

Like anything with a rabid fanbase.

This is like asking how to get into the music industry.