Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 years this month SNES has been out in US markets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I'm no chemistry expert, but doesn't the yellowish tinge come from smoking? Non smokers generally don't have the yellowing system. Mine is still the original color. Never smoked a day in my life.
    I have a yellowed Super (my first one) and it was yellow before I got it from a non-smoking home. The problem lies in the chemical structure of the plastic used, specifically flame retardent plastics: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Flame+Retardants

This is an excellent site as for correcting the issue on yellowed or browned consoles/computer. http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/home Check the gallery for some SNES before and after photos too: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/The+Gallery
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy Kilmister View Post
    Yeah, grabbing those yellow pricing stickers and having a clerk dig thought the Toys R Us' back room to find your game was so much cooler than just walking up and grabbing the game (although nostalgia may be getting the best of me, ha ha).

Yup, as a kid I remember the back room seemed SO huge... I thought they had like a gold mine back there... maybe some secret tunnels or something that led to even more games. Also, I seem to remember the glass was towering. It was just an epic sight for 7 year old eyes.

Best part of the ticket was when you grabbed the final one. That was the case one time when I bought the last copy of a game. It was such a rush, on top of the natural rush that comes from buying a game 15 years ago.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    It wasn't August 23. That's my birthday and I definitely would have remembered if it was launched on my birthday.

August 23rd is when many stores first got it, and began selling it, but I remember reading an article somewhere where a store in Oregon sold the first SNES on August 22nd. I got mine on August 24th. It didn't have a "firm" launch date. Anybody claiming that the SNES launched on August 22nd, 23rd, 24th and 25th call all be considered correct, because there are stories all over the internet of various retailers first selling the SNES on those dates. I'm guessing Nintendo started shipping them out on the 21st, and it was just a matter of when it got to the particular store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember how my buddy and I would endlessly re-read articles about the upcoming "SFX" console in EGM. I was living overseas at the time so EGMs were hard to come by for a kid. Those magazines got really, really worn out! Fortunately I had a SEGA Megadrive and Amiga to satisfy my gaming fix at the time.

However, one weekend I went to the mall with my mom to buy a megadrive game. To my surprise the Super Famicom was out and had Final Fight running on display. I stared at the demo loop for what seemed like ages. Although I came away with a new MD game that day, all I could think about was the Super Famicom. I considered coming up with a plot to get my parents to buy it, but decided to wait for the SNES because we were going to move back to the States soon. I didn't want to deal with converters or possibly importing games (was tougher back then) like I did with my NES and 8bit famicom.

Well when we finally got back to the States, we were living in a basically empty house for a few months. All our stuff took was taking a slow boat ride across the Pacific. Regardless, I did pick up a SNES at launch but I only had a tiny, portable black & white TV to play it on. I was the first kid in the neighborhood to get one so a group of us would huddle around this tiny TV and take turns playing Super Mario World and Final Fight. Despite the spartan setup, we had a blast.... ah the simpler times!

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone else have the corner chips on their machines? It seems the same yellowing plastic is susceptible to having the corners break in the same spots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Queen_Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    Anyone else have the corner chips on their machines? It seems the same yellowing plastic is susceptible to having the corners break in the same spots.
    I'm assuming that you're talking about an issue like this: image (not my SNES)

Ooh! Ooh! I do! I do! *raises hand and flails it around*

Seriously though, I've seen a lot of SNESes with this problem. I've seen it on yellowed and non-yellowed systems, and I'm not certain what causes it.

A used game store in my town had a strict policy of not accepting any SNES systems that exhibited chipping on any of system's corners. They had apparently had many systems brought to them that displayed the problem. My own system has chipping on the two back corners, and it's been that way since about 2000. It exhibits barely any yellowing, and it has certainly not ever been mistreated.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

My SNES is yellowed and has chipped corners, but when I bought mine a few years ago, I was wanting one for like 10 years or so maybe so I didn't really care too much Probably my favorite Nintendo console. Lots of fantastic games.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I remember a recently deceased friend of mine years and years ago had the first SNES that I got to play (another friend had one too, but his parents weren't fond of company), this friend and I played a shitload of SMW. Dude even taped himself beating the game and showed me the tape, I was in awe of the stuff the game could do, a cousin of mine then got one, played some Final Fight, Super R-Type, Contra 3, Actraiser, and Super Ghouls N Ghosts with him (also recently deceased). I bought a few games off of him years after I got my SNES (got it within 2 months prior to him having an SNES). His house burned down and the games I didn't get to buy off him burned with it (along with an Magnavox Odyssey my uncle had). Wish I had gotten Actraiser from him as that's the only game he once owned that I don't have.

Great system, though now I own a few more Genesis games than SNES, but the SNES is fondly remembered by me, though Super Mario World is the only game I have with a battery that the damned battery died. Also got a second SNES months ago for free, and Final Fantasy 3 for $2, best deal I ever made.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a Genesis during the 16bit war and although always wanted a SNES I wasn't about to give up my Genesis to trade in for one. I finally got one when I was in highschool around 1997ish at Funcoland. I wish I remembered more about the time I finally bought one, but I do remember Toys R' Us was still selling SNES games when I finally got it.

My first experience with one must have been the summer of '93. Had a sleep over at a friends house and his parents rented a SNES w/ Star Fox from Blockbuster. We played that game ALL night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

It must be something in the air, because I just had the urge to hook my Super Nintendo back up to the tv, and then I see that it's been 20 years since it's been released. My favorite classic console by far.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember reading about the Super Nintendo in Nintendo Power and having a casual interest in it at best. I got my NES in December 1989 so I had been barely playing it less than two years when the Super Nintendo came out. Ironically, I was more interested in Sega's "sexy beast" (to quote the AVGN) at that time.

I think the display at Service Merchandise won me over on the Genesis in lieu of the Super Nintendo. The Donkey Kong Country VHS tape I got for renewing my Nintendo Power got me wanting a Super Nintendo. I traded my Genesis and my games to a friend for his Super Nintendo and a couple of games (Super Mario World and some other game that I can't remember....F-Zero or Pilotwings I think!).

Looking at my collection in RFGeneration, I STILL prefer the Genesis over the Super Nintendo. I still think the Super Nintendo is a great machine, though, and a worthy part of any collection.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    The yellowing happens because the chemical composition of the plastic is starting to gradually change over time. It also makes the plastic brittle, so things like what you mentioned can easily happen if you're not careful when a system starts to yellow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What got me was it always seems to be in the same place, right on those corners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a die-hard NES fan. When the SNES came out, I was already leaning toward the Genesis, since I loved its arcade ports. For whatever reason, I didn't yet own a Genesis, but I would rent one frequently. Remember that? Renting consoles?

Anyway, yeah Super Mario World looked great, and the graphics and sound on the SNES were a hojillion times better than the Genesis, but I just kept not getting one. It wasn't until I played Link to the Past that I had to have it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I was a die-hard NES fan. When the SNES came out, I was already leaning toward the Genesis, since I loved its arcade ports. For whatever reason, I didn't yet own a Genesis, but I would rent one frequently. Remember that? Renting consoles?

Anyway, yeah Super Mario World looked great, and the graphics and sound on the SNES were a hojillion times better than the Genesis, but I just kept not getting one. It wasn't until I played Link to the Past that I had to have it.
    I remember wanting to rent consoles but around here you started needing a credit card, and my family wasn't exactly well off and didn't have one. I had to live off of flea market finds, back when flea markets weren't all dreamers and overcharging.

Still a nice memory lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My SNES that I got in late '91, possibly early '92. Entire bottom half of the shell has yellowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I remember saving all the money i could get to buy it the day it came out, and for a 12 year old at the time, it was hard to save...I got mine at Babbage's along with F-zero..I also remember going home and calling everyone i knew to tell them what i got and know one believed me until they saw it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I remember playing Super Mario World in stores all the time, then later playing other titles in stores as well. I had to let my NES and Super Mario Bros. 3 keep me entertained until I finally got a SNES in 1994 when Donkey Kong Country came out. I also got Sparkster, those were my first two SNES games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES was, is, and always will be my favorite system. If I were to make a personal top 100 games list, probably more than half of the games on that list would be SNES games. I just can't believe it's been 20 years. It seems like it was just a couple of years ago that the SNES turned 10...and now it's 20.

I still remember the first time I found out about the SNES. My family got the 1991 Sears Christmas catalog in the mail (they would send those out to people in August) and as usual, I flipped straight to the game section as soon as I got my hands on it...and there it was: the Super Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario World. Why explain it to you when I can just show you? I happen to still have that same catalog after 20 years. Behold, the first time I ever laid eyes on the Super Nintendo:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    SNES was, is, and always will be my favorite system. If I were to make a personal top 100 games list, probably more than half of the games on that list would be SNES games. I just can't believe it's been 20 years. It seems like it was just a couple of years ago that the SNES turned 10...and now it's 20.

I still remember the first time I found out about the SNES. My family got the 1991 Sears Christmas catalog in the mail (they would send those out to people in August) and as usual, I flipped straight to the game section as soon as I got my hands on it...and there it was: the Super Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario World. Why explain it to you when I can just show you? I happen to still have that same catalog after 20 years. Behold, the first time I ever laid eyes on the Super Nintendo:

Doood! I remember that page. I would look at it all the time, begging my mom to get me one. (Supa Dad came through that christmas) So many memories. It was so much fun obsessing over games back then. The amazing thing is that almost everything on that page is fun to play.