Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: $14,000 NES on the show "Storage Wars".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post

All of these shows are ridiculously full of shit and ignorant. But no one cares, because the sheep continue to watch. They've been caught lying and deceiving their viewers, yet people continue to watch. Why? It's all entertainment, and that's the cop out excuse. It's all real, and portrayed as such and they've gotten snippy when questioned....yet when they're caught spinning their web of horse shit, suddenly it's just all entertainment and we need to relax. Uh huh, right.
    I love those shows but you're right, I always question the rationale of the prices they throw out for things. I'm interested if you have an example of them being caught lying and deceiving viewers. Which show of the ones mentioned did this and what did they get caught fibbing about?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm just gonna create a show called Shit Takers. It's people just taking routine dumps, but there's drama and twists and absolutely no subtly about it.
    I'd watch that, haha.

For you guys that are totally ripping into these shows, seriously, have you guys seen any other TV these days? These shows may be pretty dumb in concept and are way overdramatized, but there are so many shows that are much, MUCH worse. It's not like we're talking about Jersey Shore and the Bachelorette here. Even if the values are off and even if some of the minor details are off too, people are still learning a little bit of history when they watch these shows. What value does practically any other reality show have? And if you avoid the reality shows, you're just as bad off these days because the sitcoms are painfully unfunny, and dramas are pure cheese with horrible acting. TV in general is a cesspool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I just watch the real stuff like wrestling.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I like shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers, but Storage Wars is just a waste.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never saw the Stadium Events NES auction. I do remember the auction from a few years back where the guy was selling off his son's NES system and games (I believe his son died in Iraq), and he put everything together in a lot on Ebay, hoping to get around a $100 or so for everything, and it ended up selling for $20,000 or $30,000 because one of the games just happened to be the gold NWC cart.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm just gonna create a show called Shit Takers. It's people just taking routine dumps, but there's drama and twists and absolutely no subtly about it.
    If they could make a TV show based on that Shit My Dad Says twitter account, you can definitely make a show based on Portnoyd's Log Log. Would probably be a success too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    For you guys that are totally ripping into these shows, seriously, have you guys seen any other TV these days? These shows may be pretty dumb in concept and are way overdramatized, but there are so many shows that are much, MUCH worse. It's not like we're talking about Jersey Shore and the Bachelorette here. Even if the values are off and even if some of the minor details are off too, people are still learning a little bit of history when they watch these shows. What value does practically any other reality show have? And if you avoid the reality shows, you're just as bad off these days because the sitcoms are painfully unfunny, and dramas are pure cheese with horrible acting. TV in general is a cesspool.
    I said it before in another thread but I wasn't kidding when I said that cartoons were the best shows on TV now. Sure there were always crappy shows on like Baywatch or Married with Children but there were good shows too like Newsradio or Frasier, now there's just the lousy stuff. Big Bang Theory is about the only show I can think of that's any good, the Law and Orders and CSIs are pretty bad now.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You lost me when you called Married with Children crappy. o_O

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I love those shows but you're right, I always question the rationale of the prices they throw out for things. I'm interested if you have an example of them being caught lying and deceiving viewers. Which show of the ones mentioned did this and what did they get caught fibbing about?
    The coke machine example, I forget which page it's on. The Atari worth about a hundred and some more than it really is, the magical $14,000.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You have to keep in mind that the values they give aren't necessarily eBay value. They'll value an item at whatever they feel they can get with reasonable ease, which very well could be an inflated price. I mean, I know that when I buy something to resell, I don't think about getting bottom dollar for it. I shoot for the highest I know I can reliably get in a timely manner. And if you got a store where you can just throw something in a display case or whatever, you may not even be concerned about selling every item quickly, allowing you to bump the price higher yet.

Also, how were they lying about the Coke machine? From what I remember of that, it was beat to hell, and they basically built a new machine around whatever little they salvaged. I thought it was sad that they didn't try to restore more of the original piece, but I guess they were just doing what was most profitable for them.

And obviously the NES wasn't a case of lying or deception considering it was just a mistake that was corrected during the show.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I never saw the Stadium Events NES auction. I do remember the auction from a few years back where the guy was selling off his son's NES system and games (I believe his son died in Iraq), and he put everything together in a lot on Ebay, hoping to get around a $100 or so for everything, and it ended up selling for $20,000 or $30,000 because one of the games just happened to be the gold NWC cart.
    I think you've been misinformed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I miss The History Channel having shows about history.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Thing is though about these shows i dont like (and believe me i love them cause i am a junk collector at heart in terms of trying to preserve history as best as possible).
    Is that it inflates prices like crazy

Some guy watches american pickers and finds out say a bicycle on the tv show will go for 500 bucks when in real world buisness setting its probably more like 300-350 and people won't budge cause they just saw on american pickers this item go for this price so theres no way they will budge.

probably the best quote for this thread is from one of my favorite show men

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T Barnum

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You have to keep in mind that the values they give aren't necessarily eBay value. They'll value an item at whatever they feel they can get with reasonable ease, which very well could be an inflated price. I mean, I know that when I buy something to resell, I don't think about getting bottom dollar for it. I shoot for the highest I know I can reliably get in a timely manner. And if you got a store where you can just throw something in a display case or whatever, you may not even be concerned about selling every item quickly, allowing you to bump the price higher yet.

Also, how were they lying about the Coke machine? From what I remember of that, it was beat to hell, and they basically built a new machine around whatever little they salvaged. I thought it was sad that they didn't try to restore more of the original piece, but I guess they were just doing what was most profitable for them.

And obviously the NES wasn't a case of lying or deception considering it was just a mistake that was corrected during the show.
    You'd think they'd know. It's kinda their job to at least have a best guess, like the AR guys.

And even if they don't, $14k? Man oh man...that's just laughable. I don't know anything about cars other than how to drive them and fill the tank up but if I find a rare Hyundai Pony in a scrap yard, I know it's not worth 6 figures. You'll have a hard time convincing me he didn't utter that figure just for dramatic purposes. We watch to see things worth a ton. We talk about it. We read about it. No one cares about the spoon worth 20 bucks instead of 10, we read about the ancient incan fossilized ass wipe that looks like it's worth 20 cents but is actually valued at $60,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone have the Episode on youtube??

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You'd think they'd know. It's kinda their job to at least have a best guess, like the AR guys.

And even if they don't, $14k? Man oh man...that's just laughable. I don't know anything about cars other than how to drive them and fill the tank up but if I find a rare Hyundai Pony in a scrap yard, I know it's not worth 6 figures. You'll have a hard time convincing me he didn't utter that figure just for dramatic purposes. We watch to see things worth a ton. We talk about it. We read about it. No one cares about the spoon worth 20 bucks instead of 10, we read about the ancient incan fossilized ass wipe that looks like it's worth 20 cents but is actually valued at $60,000.
    As was explained earlier, they must've heard about the Stadium Events auction. Since it wasn't clear that the value of the auction came from that single game, many people would mistakenly assume that the system was the moneymaker. Maybe they should be familiar with more than one single NES auction, but when you're trying to learn a little about the value of EVERYTHING, it's hard to have more than cursory knowledge of any particular type of item, not unless you specialize in it or have a particular passion for it.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    They've moved onto crummy "get rich off of junk lying in the house" shows and apocalypse shows.

Then again, how many times can you report on Hitler and World War II?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Then again, how many times can you report on Hitler and World War II?
    About the same amount of times you can have World World II games made every year.

I didn't watch this episode but I read about it earlier. And last week there was an episode of Pawn Stars where they told a dude his Master Chief Halo outfit wasn't worth buying(for what he wanted for it). I definitely don't watch these shows but reality tv has taking over and the world unfortunately has to get use to it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    Watch History International and Military History, that's where those shows went!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Watch History International and Military History, that's where those shows went!
    Modern Marvels is pretty good though, even if their ideas of "marvels" are pretty strange. They've had like thirty shows on engineering disasters.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Modern Marvels is pretty good though, even if their ideas of "marvels" are pretty strange. They've had like thirty shows on engineering disasters.
    well considering the shows been on for a decade atleast.
    How many interesting marvels in the world you feel they should report on? lol