Thread: Question - Replacing a Fuse?

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question - Replacing a Fuse?

I am looking to buy a Double Dragon arcade cabinet, however the seller says the fuse is blown. Quick question: is this normally an easy, inexpensive fix? I know very little about the technical side of arcade games so any input would be much appreciated.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I highly doubt it would be as simple as replacing a fuse, it almost never is. It could be a number of things that require troubleshooting. I would check the machine out in person before you put down any money.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    I am looking to buy a Double Dragon arcade cabinet, however the seller says the fuse is blown. Quick question: is this normally an easy, inexpensive fix? I know very little about the technical side of arcade games so any input would be much appreciated.
    Replacing a blown fuse is an easy, inexpensive fix.

Ask yourself this question: if it's true that the only issue is a blown fuse, why didn't the seller take five seconds and replace it? Like Tupin posted, more often than not a fuse blew because of some other problem - flyback and/or HOT went, etc. Depending on the price, condition, and your comfort level with repairs, it's still worth a look.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

"It only needs a fuse" is the blanket term for an idiot selling an arcade cabinet with a lot of work needed. Only very rarely is it something like a blown fuse, loose socketed IC's, reseating a connector, etc.

It's equivalent to people that have a game with a dead monitor and say how "it needs a new light, you can get them at Home Depot." Or "it was working yesterday and then it just shut off." Or "it only needs a power cord but worked great last week!" Or a game that does absolutely nothing "just needs a small adjustment, my brother works on these and says it's easy." Or.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Fuses blow because of a short in the circuit. It could be as easy as a wire came off the harness and is touching GND, or there could be a serious problem with the board set. If you want to learn how to fix a game and can get it cheap, here is a good chance.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Replacing a blown fuse is an easy, inexpensive fix.

Ask yourself this question: if it's true that the only issue is a blown fuse, why didn't the seller take five seconds and replace it? Like Tupin posted, more often than not a fuse blew because of some other problem - flyback and/or HOT went, etc. Depending on the price, condition, and your comfort level with repairs, it's still worth a look.
    Yuuuuuup. Imagine someone selling a car that said, "well it just needs a fuse to run, but I can't be bothered to put one in." Seriously, who would do that.

"It just needs a fuse" is arcade talk for "I don't know what the fuck is wrong with this thing."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hahaha, okay. Thanks for all the input. I'll just pass then, because with a four month old and returning to work, I don't really have the time/energy to go back and forth with somebody that could make a quick, easy fix. Thanks everyone!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the owner asking for it?
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$100 and said it worked fine until recently, when it blew the fuse.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the owner knows it's a fuse (and which one). You can ask if they replaced it, but chances are they did and it blew immediately (if it didn't, the damage has been done). Either way, you might end up spending another $100 to get it working again, depending on which fuse. If it's the main fuse, it could be b/c of something simple like the power cord. If it's for the monitor, then probably not a simple fix (and worth haggling them down for). Guess it depends how bad you want the game.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Yuuuuuup. Imagine someone selling a car that said, "well it just needs a fuse to run, but I can't be bothered to put one in." Seriously, who would do that.

"It just needs a fuse" is arcade talk for "I don't know what the fuck is wrong with this thing."
    There is a subtle difference. It's easy to find someone to repair a car locally, but an arcade game? In these situations, you have to judge your seller. Is he a serious collector, does he got dirt under his nails, does he know anything when you bs with him? It's like buying and 'as-is' system off Ebay. Look at the seller's other items, their feedback, and then determine if they know how to test a htf system or not.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Changing a fuse in an arcade game is just as easy as ... well, changing a fuse in a car. Most car owners don't know how to replace a head gasket or a muffler, but they should know how to change a tire or replace a fuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Should know, yes. Do know... There's a fortune made in changing oil for little old ladies. Some arcade game owners have dirt under their nails, others have lots of cash.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The owner of this arcade game already got his hands "dirty" since he took the back off and got in there and found out the problem was a fuse...

Changing the oil isn't quite the same as changing a tire. If you get a flat and you're stuck (nobody around, no cell phone coverage, etc), I don't care how much money you have on you. You're either going to learn how to change a tire real fast, or you're going to be possibly sitting (or walking) for hours. If someone buys an arcade machine, I don't expect them to know how to do minor repairs, but they should know the basics (changing fuses, replacing bulbs, etc). Most arcade techs I know charge at least $75 just to walk in the door. But hey, if you want to pay that much for a fuse, I'll be right over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

That's what the owner claims. Ever had a friend call you because they had a flat tire? I have. But I agree, you should know what's up if you wanna own that stuff, but many don't. Which allows for the $75/hr charge for the tech. And also allows for some good deals from ignorant people.
    Last edited by Sunnyvale; 08-17-2011 at 12:04 PM.