Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNES Games seem very rare... all of them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES Games seem very rare... all of them

I have noticed that I almost never see SNES games at a flea market/ thrift shop/ yard sale. I have found TONS of NES, Genesis, N64, various disk games and even Sega Master System (which before collecting, I never even saw one)

I have only seen 2 SNES games. A basketball one and Earthbound, which I found at a goodwill for 4$.

Why are SNES games so rare and Genesis games so common? Is it just coincidence?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's "Nintendo" so it's automatically thought of as more valuable than anything "Sega." This is especially true of most flea market vendors I've found.

SNES dirt common games can go for over $10, while scarce Genesis carts can go for $3.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Nightowljrm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    It's "Nintendo" so it's automatically thought of as more valuable than anything "Sega." This is especially true of most flea market vendors I've found.

SNES dirt common games can go for over $10, while scarce Genesis carts can go for $3.
    Amen to that. Which... it's kinda sad in a weird sense, but hey, works for us.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you've only found two and one was Earthbound, consider yourself lucky. :P I'd rather find that than 50 lame SNES games.

It's true that I do tend to find games for certain other systems more than SNES games, but I wouldn't say it's "rare" to find them. Maybe you're just in an area where the SNES wasn't that popular, or maybe you have some competition from SNES collectors or resellers that are snatching everything up before you get to it. My problem is that most of the SNES games I find are crap, mostly licensed junk, which may also be a sign of competition leaving me with their picked through chaff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe nobody wants them and vendors don't even display them anymore.

My local shop has 100s of SNES and N64 titles, unboxed, collecting dust. There's another shop in town, same story, unboxed SNES games collecting dust next to Xbox titles.
    No Sega games though, never see those in the wild anymore.
    Last edited by tom; 08-16-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES games with the complete box and manual are obviously more valuable owing to Nintendos stupid decision to use cardboard, however, that makes no sense that loose carts are worth three times more than their Genesis counterparts.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Where do you live that you can find Earthbound, of all things, for $4?

(You're not interested in selling, are you? I could easily reimburse you twice over! )

But on topic... where I am, SNES games are dirt common. It's actually harder to find Sega Genesis games. That's not even getting into the scarce little bitch that is the TurboGrafx, where the only game I ever found in the wild was Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, and then only once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's similar where I'm at I usually just see Sega Genesis and PS1 sports games at the thrift shop. The flea market sellers never seem to have anything older than PS2 titles.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    It's similar where I'm at I usually just see Sega Genesis and PS1 sports games at the thrift shop. The flea market sellers never seem to have anything older than PS2 titles.
    Yep, same here. The best thing I can ever find at garage sales is maybe MAYBE a GBC game or two for far too much money. That or some crappy Ps2 titles.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see. So it's probably just the area I'm in. I'm in norther Virginia. When I lived in California there were things called swap-meets every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, at least. They were like flea markets except there were 20 times as many people selling at them then any flea market i have seen here

I would always see TONS of old games in these swap-meets... which I regret not buying now. I just wish I could find something like that here.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I find tons of Genesis in the wild, some NES and usually some Game Boy but not too much SNES stuff really. N64 sometimes as well. Hardly ever any Sega CD, Saturn, 32x, or Turbografx-16 though.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find SNES games just about everywhere. The big problem here is that they're usually the same 20-30 titles, over and over. If I never come across another Super Mario World, Ken Griffey, or Lion King, it'll be too soon! Same with Genesis -- you can't walk 5 feet at a yard sale without tripping over Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Aladdin, or a Madden game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Singletriad View Post
    I have only seen 2 SNES games. A basketball one and Earthbound, which I found at a goodwill for 4$.
    $4? I tip my hat to you, good sir... you paid less for yours than I did by a dollar.
    Worth every penny!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

the only thing scarce in terms of SNES around my area imo is the console itself.
    I got like 20 SNES games and even a controller.. but no console. and i want to play the Zombies ate my Neighbors game i recently got too

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No doubt about that. I had 3 seperate ads on Craigslist selling some dupes and games I wasnt into anymore. One was for Atari 2600 games, one was NES games, and one was SNES games (all games pretty common in all the ads). I had no bites on the Atari games, only two for the NES games, and around 15 for the SNES games. They definetely seem to be the flavor of the month around here.
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I thought this was the strangest thread ever, but after reading the comments I guess I'm the odd ball out.

Last I counted the flea market I go to had 21 people selling games with hundreds of NES, SNES, and Genesis games not as much but a good bit of PS1, PS2, Game Cube, Xbox and the newer stuff per booth. The only problem I have is most of it is over priced. The hard stuff for me is SMS, TG16 and anything older than the NES.

I don't find to much at thrifts and when I do it's the same story over priced. It's worse at thrifts around here like a loose PlayStation no hook-ups or controllers for $25.

I don't even go to Yard sales anymore they're to far and few between around here and I never found much at them.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I lived in California there were things called swap-meets every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, at least. They were like flea markets except there were 20 times as many people selling at them then any flea market i have seen here

I would always see TONS of old games in these swap-meets... which I regret not buying now. I just wish I could find something like that here.
    I have noticed that the quality and quantity of games at the swapmeets around here, in southern California have steadily declined the last few years. And prices are very ebay-based.

I too regret not picking up alot of the good-condition carts I saw years back, when prices were affordable and games didn't all look like they had either been:
    baking in the sun for a decade
    dipped in old grease

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Well I thought this was the strangest thread ever, but after reading the comments I guess I'm the odd ball out.

Last I counted the flea market I go to had 21 people selling games with hundreds of NES, SNES, and Genesis games not as much but a good bit of PS1, PS2, Game Cube, Xbox and the newer stuff per booth. The only problem I have is most of it is over priced. The hard stuff for me is SMS, TG16 and anything older than the NES.

I don't find to much at thrifts and when I do it's the same story over priced. It's worse at thrifts around here like a loose PlayStation no hook-ups or controllers for $25.

I don't even go to Yard sales anymore they're to far and few between around here and I never found much at them.
    Yea i probably should have finished my post.
    cause when i do find a SNES console say on craigslist. its usually something ridiculous imo price wise and i am like really?
    and they won't budge at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have noticed that I almost never see SNES games at a flea market/ thrift shop/ yard sale. I have found TONS of NES, Genesis, N64, various disk games and even Sega Master System (which before collecting, I never even saw one)

Why are SNES games so rare and Genesis games so common? Is it just coincidence?
    You sir have earned both my respect and hatred for finding Earthbound for $4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You think finding snes games is hard? Try finding sega saturn, or god forbid, neo geo games in the wold.