Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Classic" games you never understood the appeal of

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Killer Instinct. That shit is like a mix of texting on a T9 and programming a VCR. Yawn.

Mortal Kombat. Felt wooden, every character was identical. The violence didn't amuse me much so I never got into it.

Never understood the appeal of Populous, either.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    in a way i agree with you on that

I mean the nostalgia in me says no way arcade versions always win over ported.
    But i was just at the Fun Spot arcade in laconia NH this past weekend and they have that machine in all its glory. I played it. And although the controls feel realistic in terms of how a tank would drive. Still after playing ported versions way before the arcade version... it just seemed ackward.
    I agree the controls on the arcade are far better. But the 2600 port is actually a decent game for that system, quick and action packed. Repetitive, but that was the early 80's. Another game I like the port better than the arcade is the NES port of Trojan. That arcade version was just a foul quarter-leech.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    The love for Galaxian has always puzzled me. Pre-Galaga I can see the appeal but after Galaga was released it did everything that Galaxian did but did it better. I MIGHT give the nostolgia angle some slack but if people actually love the game when Galaga exsists then I just don't get it.
    Agreed. Galaxian, Space Invaders, Radar Scope et al are really boring and slow compared to Galaga. Horribly outdated games!

Also, how about Asteroids? That game gets really boring about 5 minutes in. Destroy the asteroids, level starts over again. There's just no variety in the gameplay. I do however vastly enjoy Minestorm for the Vectrex.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Custer's Revenge should get thrown in the mix too

I know i know its suppose to be a tongue in cheek gag style game of a horny cowboy fucking a busty native american princess while avoiding arrows flying through the air. but thats about it so it loses its "hehehe that cowboy is having sex with that native american chick" appeal real fast. specially when its atari 2600 graphics.
    Which btw on a side note i thought about how rare i hear about this game and looked on ebay real quick. Great googily moogily does this game go for a pretty penny on ebay! is it that rare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    For the sake of this thread, "Classic" means highly regarded.

For me, one such game is Excitebike for the NES. It's just... all you do is drive to the side, jump high up in the air, and... ummm... I'm not even sure what the goal is. Trying to score a best time, I think? It's just lame. There's no point and there's really no way to "lose." At least, not that I noticed.
    The goal of Excitebike is to finish the race in the alloted time, so it is a race against the clock. There is actually quite a bit of strategy involved. You have to manage your boost function carefully so you do not overheat. You also have to use the controls to angle your bike when jumping, avoid ruts, race to get back on your bike after crashing, etc. If you fail to finish the race in the alloted time, you do, in fact, lose.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbofan1 View Post
    After hearing how great Ys I&II was over the years,I have tried playing it numerous times.Even though it was A early Turbo grafx game,The graphics were average at best,the music wasn't that great.The game play is boring and tedious.The game series has A weird cult following of fans.I was once told by some uberdork fan of the game,that I needed to go to A library and learn how to spell.Because I misspelled "Ys"in A forum post.
    I don't know about spelling, but your capitalization of the letter "A" at every use is... new?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

A?

AAYYYYYYY

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NerdXCrewWill View Post
    As for my own unappealing game, I've never much liked Symphony of the Night. Granted, I've only played the Saturn version. I found the game too easy compared to the older games in the series.
    SOTN is undoubtedly a cakewalk of a game, especially when compared against the more traditional entries in the Castlevania series, but man, it's just fun. The fluid control, huge map, beautifully drawn & animated sprites, sprawling collectable arsenal.. take the voice acting and awful dialogue as comedy and the only strike I have against the game is the low, low difficulty. It's one I'd recommend to anyone in this thread who hasn't found a taste for Metroid but is perhaps mildly interested in that style of gameplay.

Kid Icarus, here's a game I've failed to develop much of a taste for despite repeated attempts. I was originally quite stoked to play it, having been aware of its acclaim and similarities to Metroid. Sure, it's fun to arrow enemies, amass hearts and generally progress but the deadly 1-way scrolling vertical stages, the often awkward platforming, that piddly starting lifebar.. ehhh. I do appreciate that there is more depth to the game than your typical NES platformer, but is it really a classic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Myst. I never understood the appeal of this game or why it received so much attention and praise. So it has pretty graphics. So what? Graphics don't detract from the extremely slow pace and lack of direction in the game. You spend more time thinking "Oh now what the hell do I do - OH THATS A NICE BRIDGE! THAT MADE THIS HOUR LONG TREK ALL THE MORE THRILLING!"
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Kid Icarus hard to anyone else besides me?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Kid Icarus is hard to me too.

I never could really get big into Halo. I played it a little and just thought ehh its ok.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Definitely Pokemon. I just don't get the appeal of the main series. I've had way more fun with the spinoff games in the series (Pinball, Snap, Puzzle League, Pikachu's Adventure) than I've ever had with the main series.
    Same here, and unlike many of the people that don't see the appeal in Pokemon, I actually do really like RPGs. The Pokemon RPGs are just boring examples of the genre.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbofan1 View Post
    A
    I and proper nouns are the only words that are also capitalized in the middle of a sentence instead of just the beginning of the sentence. I'll is the same as I will, so you'll still capitalize the letter I.

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    SOTN is undoubtedly a cakewalk of a game. the only strike I have against the game is the low, low difficulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by NerdXCrewWill View Post
    As for my own unappealing game, I've never much liked Symphony of the Night. Granted, I've only played the Saturn version. I found the game too easy compared to the older games in the series.
    X-X!V''Q
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With Pokemon, I think it's a number of things, growing up with it as a kid, having watched the anime series, collect the cards, play the games, it just all has to fit for you to like the series in general.

Ask for games I never understood the appeal for, well call me a Nintendo fanboy but I just never saw anything interesting on the original Playstation. The graphics were a horrible pixelated mess compared to the Nintendo 64 and the genres just didn't click with me.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Conker's Bad Fur Day. It's just a crappy platformer with a bunch of cussing and toilet humor. I guess when you're 12 that stuff is funny, but I never found it funny, nor a good game. So you play as an alcoholic squirrel and fight a poop monster... I'm not impressed.

Also, while I enjoy several Final Fantasy games, FFX, which is one of the most highly praised, is just about my least favorite. Moreso than previous games, too much of the dialog consists of the main characters whining. The overall plot is stupid, and all of the characters except Auron consistently get on my nerves (and even Auron isn't very interesting). The battle system isn't very good either; I just can't get behind the sphere grid. What do the spheres represent, and what's the significance of their paths/patterns? It just seems arbitrary.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool discussion! Obviously, some people will disagree, so here's my counterpoint to an earlier one...

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    The love for Galaxian has always puzzled me. Pre-Galaga I can see the appeal but after Galaga was released it did everything that Galaxian did but did it better. I MIGHT give the nostolgia angle some slack but if people actually love the game when Galaga exsists then I just don't get it.
    Personally, I like the simplicity of Galaxian over the additional complexity of Galaga a ton. To me, Galaxian is like the perfect midway point between Space Invaders which I find just slightly *too* simple for my taste, as the enemy patterns and strategy are essentially extremely straight forward and Galaga which I find to be a little bit too "twitch" in some places where if I don't hit the button at the exact right interval, I miss a ship. For instance, in the Galaga sections where the waves come through, I have never been able to consistently get 100% on even the first wave. I get it sometimes, but if I play it 10 times I might miss it once.

Galaxian to me is all skill, with enough strategy thrown in to really make it fun. If you wait until the ships start moving to shoot them, they are worth way more points -- but, if you wait too long to shoot them, multiple ships start flying at you, making it tougher to maintain control.

I'm younger than Galaxian so it isn't nostalgia either. I now own an arcade cabinet of the game, and I still play it pretty regularly -- I love it!

Anyway, now for my two cents on a game -- I've never understood the appeal to SMB2. I LOVE 1 and I ADORE 3, but the second game I owned as a kid and could never really get into. Recently, I decided that I was going to get the GBA version and replay it to try to like it again, and I found that even before I beat it I was ready to sell it.

Yoshi's Island falls into the exact same category.

I also would rather play SMB1 over World any day of the week. To me, the classic 2D Mario games would be ranked:

SMB3 > SMB1 > SMB2(Japan) > SMW > SM Land and anything else > SMB2.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    With Pokemon, I think it's a number of things, growing up with it as a kid, having watched the anime series, collect the cards, play the games, it just all has to fit for you to like the series in general.

Ask for games I never understood the appeal for, well call me a Nintendo fanboy but I just never saw anything interesting on the original Playstation. The graphics were a horrible pixelated mess compared to the Nintendo 64 and the genres just didn't click with me.
    I feel the exact opposite. When that console generation came around, I jumped on the N64 first thing because I thought it was the future, and... it turned out to be shit. I'm sorry, but it was. I wound up only ever owning five games for it and I haven't even hooked it up in like two years.

By contrast, the only time I unhooked my PS1 was when I got a PS2 to replace it, and I still mostly use it to play PS1 games. Admittedly there was some B.S. at first--I bought a PS1 for Final Fantasy VII and wound up really not liking it--but later on as games became cheaper and I explored more often I found more and more games that not only redeemed the console, but made me actually glad that FF7 tricked me into getting one.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 08-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I still remember wanting an N64 like crazy, having loved the SNES. I read about it, planned on getting one, thought it was going to be the future and the end all be all. I kept hearing about this Playstation thing, but thought nothing of it. Until more people talked about it. Then some more, and more and eventually everyone was gabbing about it. I remember reading about a delay that would cause the N64 to come out later that I'd liked. Well, screw you guys, and since I'd just seen my friend get one and I was blown away, I'm getting one of these Playstations. And I loved owning it. The N64 to me was a massive bomb that signaled Nintendo was falling behind the times and couldn't keep up.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

That's about right--Nintendo never quite regained their dominance, did they?

Since this has kinda segued into more modern "classics" here's one I don't get, that you might've seen me blog about or mention elsewhere:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. To me this was a step down in every way from the second one. The plot wasn't as interesting, a lot of the new game mechanics were badly-implemented, tedius, outright nonsensical or broken, the game seemed to focus more on fighting than on stealth, and a lot of times it was just cheap. Still better than Peace Walker though, but I can't see why people call it a huge improvement over Sons of Liberty--though, I'm one of those weirdos who actually liked Raiden. Go figure.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Still better than Peace Walker though, but I can't see why people call it a huge improvement over Sons of Liberty--though, I'm one of those weirdos who actually liked Raiden. Go figure.
    I thought Sons of Liberty was fairly amazing. It controlled well, was fun to play, and the off-the-wall, inside-your-head finale was really cool. I didn't really care for the final battle, but I thought the rest of the game was wonderful, and a great, albeit completely bananas, sequel to MGS.