Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Default Wii re-design dumps backwards compatibility

"Support for both GameCube games and hardware is being ejected by Nintendo for its upcoming Wii re-design. Merry Christmas.

[Update] Eurogamer has reported that, in addition, the existing Wii model will be phased out.

The new, slimmer, Wii included in the Family Edition bundle – pictured – will not support GameCube peripherals or games, Eurogamer has reported.

The bundle includes Wii Sports and Wii Party, both designed to make the most of the included Wii RemotePlus, but if you want to play any games with a standard, non-motion sensing pad you’ll have to shell out for the Wii’s Classic controller.

There’s no word yet on pricing for this new, even smaller box of tricks, though it will be out in time for Christmas."

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/17/wii-...compatibility/

Just more reason for people to wait for their Wii U or keep their original Wii.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you haven't bought a Wii yet and this news makes you angry, then you're not their target audience.

Just a a way for them to cut costs so they can continue to lower prices leading up to their next system.

This really should be a non-issue. Expecting them to continue supporting 10-year old games and peripherals is just plain silly.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    If you haven't bought a Wii yet and this news makes you angry, then you're not their target audience.

Just a a way for them to cut costs so they can continue to lower prices leading up to their next system.

This really should be a non-issue. Expecting them to continue supporting 10-year old games and peripherals is just plain silly.
    And getting a BC compatible Wii is not likely to be an issue with the giant mass of them out.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I used to froth at the mouth over BC being deleted or in a reduced capacity. Over time I've come to realize its not a make or break feature to have the next latest/greatest system be able to play games that the prior generation system plays.

While a nice feature to have as it frees up a connection on the TV; its not a necessity since most people have the console that BC is being implemented on the new system for. At least if they care about BC that is. Most people buy new systems to play new games on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, Wii Motion Plus won't do a lick of good on Wii Sports considering that it doesn't recognize the technology. Not that the original Wii Sports needs to, it functions just fine with the standard Wiimote.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Belmont008's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    MrReeves008

Still, it seems strange since the Gamecube and wii hardware are nearly identical. You're going to tell me that they haven't manufactured enough of these things to bring their marginal cost for some BC down to almost nothing. There's so many of them out there and the sales are plummeting so quickly that its seems more cost effective to just finish of their final batches of regular wiis and then end production and sell off all remaining units just as the wii U comes out. In fact it would eliminate competition between the two since the wii U is BC with wii so anyone wanting to play wii games who doesn't own a wii would have to buy one of them.

I've never really liked the re-release of any console. Usually it’s just a downgrade of the original product just to sell it at an economical price. The NES lost composite video out, SNES no longer output S-video, Genesis eventually lost 32x and Sega CD support, Playstation lost its rear expansion port and secondary video out ports, and ps3 lost BC. The slim Xbox 360 seems to be an exception to the rule. As far as I know it’s the same but with added built in wi-fi.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

BC for PS2 and XBOX are important to me on the next gen hardware because they're upscaled for HDTVs. The Wii, not so much, you're still going to get a 480 picture no matter what.

You're going to tell me that they haven't manufactured enough of these things to bring their marginal cost for some BC down to almost nothing.
    They're probably saving $.50 on each console by removing Gamecube backwards compatibility, but you have to look at who we're talking about here. This is something I'd expect Nintendo to do. Sony did it, but at that time, they were saving about $23(I think) off each system.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-17-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You can get the current Wii for $130. Price is not an issue. I wonder how much will Nintendo sell this for - $99?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    BC for PS2 and XBOX are important to me on the next gen hardware because they're upscaled for HDTVs. The Wii, not so much, you're still going to get a 480 picture no matter what.

They're probably saving $.50 on each console by removing Gamecube backwards compatibility, but you have to look at who we're talking about here. This is something I'd expect Nintendo to do. Sony did it, but at that time, they were saving about $23(I think) off each system.
    Sure, but if you never got a component cable, or add the newer Cube, you never got to see 480p. Just 480i on your GC games.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one bothersome thing about this: since Wii and GameCube use nearly identical hardware, they must be removing backwards compatibility by removing memory card and controller ports. This means no more GameCube controllers for VC games and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This isn't an issue for me, but it sucks the Wii U won't upscale Wii games. I'd love to see Sonic Colors or Sin and Punishment 2 in HD.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see this as a potential issue in that future Wii games will be even less likely to include Gamecube controller support.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    The one bothersome thing about this: since Wii and GameCube use nearly identical hardware, they must be removing backwards compatibility by removing memory card and controller ports. This means no more GameCube controllers for VC games and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
    Sounds like now would be a good time to pick up a back-up unit. I've long wanted to get the black colored system but jumped on board when they put out the Red colored Anniversary unit. I won't pretend to understand the decision making process that led to the removal of the GCN components and BC functions but I imagine they're trying to salvage every last possibly penny they can.

I imagine once this thing hits the market or right before, GS will be quick to announce they're no longer carrying used GC games.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like the big N is trying to milk the Wii cow til the last drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

This isn't about cost savings, it's all about trying to push the Wii users towards Wii games. Nintendo dosen't make a dime from Gamecube products anymore so somebody in the boardroom thought it would be a good idea to take out BC to force gamers to buy Wii games, controllers, and accesories (where there is a chance they will buy new). It's strictly a business decision that I don't personally like as a gamer but I can understand where they are coming from.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Suggestion: raid your local GameStops if you want to score GameCube games before they get tough to find outside of eBay.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As of right now, it's a European exclusive based on the information we have. NOA says they don't currently have any plans to release it over here. So it might be a non issue for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I see this as a potential issue in that future Wii games will be even less likely to include Gamecube controller support.
    Doesn't seem to be a ton of stuff to expect in the future anyways, judging by the release schedules I've seen.

Seems like a smart move to kill off the controller and memory cart ports to reduce manufacturing cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont008 View Post
    Still, it seems strange since the Gamecube and wii hardware are nearly identical. You're going to tell me that they haven't manufactured enough of these things to bring their marginal cost for some BC down to almost nothing.
    The GameCube and Wii are very similar, but you missed the point. They're doing this not because this Wii will be incapable of running GameCube software, but because they can decrease their cost through eliminating the physical GameCube controller and memory card ports necessary for backwards compatibility.

Looks like they've even killed off the stand to help shave down production cost.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Over time I've come to realize its not a make or break feature to have the next latest/greatest system be able to play games that the prior generation system plays.
    Totally agree.

I think it's a great idea at the beginning of a console's life cycle, to help the consumer make the decision to buy ("well, I *can* still play what I've already got so that's cool..") but at this point in it's life cycle, it should hardly matter.

(You could argue that for the Wii it barely mattered at all anyway, since so many purchases were done by families who never owned a console, but I'd stay it was still smart to hedge your bets on a new tech and keep your constant customers happy)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't see the point of a new Wii though. Wii is already small and power efficient. It takes less power than the slim PS2 even. It just seems unnecessary.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Suggestion: raid your local GameStops if you want to score GameCube games before they get tough to find outside of eBay.
    Lol even gamestop has a bad selection these days, some already stopped carrying them and when you do find them they have maybe 50 and on top of that 40 of them are in those garbage generic cases.