Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I thought the only bad part of Death Mountain was the fact that you had to trudge through two caves, swampland, and cross an annoying bridge before you got to Death Mountain. Other than that, it's not terribly difficult itself aside from the annoying hatchet throwers. The regular ones who don't throw them are easy to take out.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Anyone who liked Zelda II (or Faxanadu) would also do well to try out Robin Hood Prince of Thieves for the NES. The animation in it is pretty ugly at times but the battle system, item system and overworld screens offer a few of the same "good" traits from Zelda II.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I always liked Zelda 2. I played the heck out of it when it came out, eventually beating the sucker.

The only real annoying thing for me is the trek you take to the final palace. If you're not careful/lucky you get slapped around pretty bad.

Oh yeah, and the "Simon Belmont Tumble" when you get hit and fall into a nearby pit.....gotta love that.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Absolutely love Zelda II, my favorite Zelda title. (seeing that I've only played through it and LttP, still haven't had a serious play of the original yet)

I remember getting to the Great Palace as a kid and being totally overwhelmed. Went back to it many years later and finally finished it. Good times.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I agree. For all we know in North America, Zelda II was originally some Doki Doki Panic game in Japan that got the Super Mario Bros. 2-esque makeover to get more sales.
    For all we know? Not sure what you mean. We do know the origins of Zelda II. It's not a mystery.

I don't remember Zelda II getting much, if any, hate when it came out. I personally loved it and was glad it was a different from the first one (which I loved at the time as well). I think the hate came from later fans that were digging back into the library of the series. Little bitches can't handle the awesomeness that's Zelda II
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 08-23-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda 2 isn't bad, but it's nowhere near my favorite in the series. My favorite is Wind Waker because they gave you an ENORMOUS world to run around in and once you get the boat you can spend weeks just exploring and not even bother with the plot (although I did and it is a truly epic one). After an experience like that, Twilight Princess was kind of a letdown (although I never played it myself. I saw a good chunk of the game watching my friend play and never felt like I was missing anything by not playing it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I don't remember Zelda II getting much, if any, hate when it came out.
    Of course it didn't get any hate during its release. People were scouring the city for a copy of the game. It, along with Super Mario 2, were the two most-wanted games of that holiday season. You had to be extremely lucky to even find a copy for the first few months.

I remember my mom went out shopping and I told her to check if the store had "Zelda 2". She came home empty handed saying the store didn't have it. She then casually mentioned that it had some sort of "adventures of link" game. I managed to convince her to take me to the store (I was 12 at the time) and luckily there was one copy left. We went to Pizza Hut afterwards and I read the instruction manual all the way home and even while in the restaurant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rented it as a kid, and I guess I just thought the game was kind of 'weird' compared to the first one. I had never played a game with a map screen to battle screen changeover like that.

I enjoy it more now, though I've not completed it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I'll ever tire of this game. I just played it tonight and finished the four heart and magic container challenge. Took me enough tries against the Thunderbird but I did it and I'm happy now!
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I don't remember Zelda II getting much, if any, hate when it came out. I personally loved it and was glad it was a different from the first one (which I loved at the time as well). I think the hate came from later fans that were digging back into the library of the series. Little bitches can't handle the awesomeness that's Zelda II
    Didn't get any hate upon release from what I remember.

Frankly, I think some of the backlash started creeping in when the next two installments (Link to the Past & Link's Awakening) went back to the same overhead style of gameplay as the original, which resulted in an increasing number of people looking at Zelda II as an odd duck.

To some people, the fact that Nintendo scrapped the Zelda II design and never really used it again somehow meant Nintendo had admitted it had failed.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I regret selling my NES Classics edition.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post

Frankly, I think some of the backlash started creeping in when the next two installments (Link to the Past & Link's Awakening) went back to the same overhead style of gameplay as the original, which resulted in an increasing number of people looking at Zelda II as an odd duck.

To some people, the fact that Nintendo scrapped the Zelda II design and never really used it again somehow meant Nintendo had admitted it had failed.
    But Link's Awakening did have those side-scrolling parts. You even fight a couple bosses that way. Although with all of the goombas and such, it could be said that it's referencing Super Mario Bros. more than Zelda II. Or maybe even the item rooms in the first Zelda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just remembered this fangame by konjak. Anyone who hasn't played it yet should definitely give it a go.

http://www.konjak.org/index.php?folder=4&file=11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least in my gaming circles, immediately after its release, kids criticized it. The wait had been so long, and the result so frustrating and "un-zelda-like" (noth that there's anything wrong with that per se.) Many gamers put fewer hours (playing, hunting, & discussing) into it than its predecessor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

So after 100+ posts, we've determined that the question posed ended up being bogus. An overwhelming contingent of DP'ers don't "hate" Zelda II and most of them actually like it. Glad to see common sense still alive and well here.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ultima9a

Personally Zelda II is one of my favorite games in the series along with Majoras Mask. I dig the fact the game is heavier on the fighting. I don't know why some people hate it so much. Maybe it's the fact that it's different from the rest of the games in the series. As far as I know, the only game to use the same format as Zelda 2 was the Zelda CDI game "The Faces of Evil". And that doesn't exactly help Zelda IIs case...

I think that one of the main reasons the game is so hated is because like others have stated, there are points in the game where it just seems like Nintendo got carried away. Death Mountain being a good example. Unless you're really good, you'll need to power up a level or two before you can survive the onslaught of enemies. Most of my friends got stuck there and they regarded me as a hero because I got far enough to get the hammer. Yeah, they really sucked at games. They also praised me as a champion for beating Super C without a game genie.

The challenge didn't really bother me to be honest. Up until the last dungeon, I didn't have any real problems. I did get stuck on Thunderbird though. I didn't realize I had to use the Thunderspell on him...

This is unrelated to anything, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of the NES games with "2" or "II" in the titles did something different and ended up getting some hate for it? Mario 2 was different, Castlevania II was different, and then Zelda 2 was different. Hell, even Godzilla 2 was different from its first game. I guess the industry was going through puberty during that time and were "experimenting" with themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NBaco View Post
    Personally Zelda II is one of my favorite games in the series along with Majoras Mask. I dig the fact the game is heavier on the fighting. I don't know why some people hate it so much. Maybe it's the fact that it's different from the rest of the games in the series. As far as I know, the only game to use the same format as Zelda 2 was the Zelda CDI game "The Faces of Evil". And that doesn't exactly help Zelda IIs case...

I think that one of the main reasons the game is so hated is because like others have stated, there are points in the game where it just seems like Nintendo got carried away. Death Mountain being a good example. Unless you're really good, you'll need to power up a level or two before you can survive the onslaught of enemies. Most of my friends got stuck there and they regarded me as a hero because I got far enough to get the hammer. Yeah, they really sucked at games. They also praised me as a champion for beating Super C without a game genie.

The challenge didn't really bother me to be honest. Up until the last dungeon, I didn't have any real problems. I did get stuck on Thunderbird though. I didn't realize I had to use the Thunderspell on him...

This is unrelated to anything, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of the NES games with "2" or "II" in the titles did something different and ended up getting some hate for it? Mario 2 was different, Castlevania II was different, and then Zelda 2 was different. Hell, even Godzilla 2 was different from its first game. I guess the industry was going through puberty during that time and were "experimenting" with themselves.

Can't win whatever you do. Always gonna be crybabies unhappy about how a company manages a series.

Either you get your butt reamed for being stagnant by remaking the same game over and over again like Sega was doing with Sonic (in the eyes of some people) on the Genesis or Capcom did with Street Fighter 2.

Otherwise you do things differently and get your butt reamed like Nintendo has from some people for Zelda II and SMB2 (which I'm well aware was a different game over in JPN), or like Konami did for Simon's Quest, by tight asses who hate change.
    Last edited by bangtango; 08-25-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Zelda 2 was also one of the few games where it was actually improved on a great deal when it was "localized" for the us, lots of new things were changed and added (like a new boss for level 5) better graphics and a more balanced level up system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ultima9a

Can't win whatever you do. Always gonna be crybabies unhappy about how a company manages a series.

Either you get your butt reamed for being stagnant by remaking the same game over and over again like Sega was doing with Sonic (in the eyes of some people) on the Genesis or Capcom did with Street Fighter 2.

Otherwise you do things differently and get your butt reamed like Nintendo has from some people for Zelda II and SMB2 (which I'm well aware was a different game over in JPN), or like Konami did for Simon's Quest, by tight asses who hate change.
    Amen to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    Zelda 2 was also one of the few games where it was actually improved on a great deal when it was "localized" for the us, lots of new things were changed and added (like a new boss for level 5) better graphics and a more balanced level up system.
    What were they using for a Zelda II Level 5 boss over in Japan then?

And what sort of EXP point system did they have?