Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Examples of an entire map of one game in its sequel?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Examples of an entire map of one game in its sequel?

I was just thinking how cool it is that there are a couple games on NES that have the entire overworld of a prior game represented, and it's even cooler when the original maps are totally dwarfed in the follow-up. It makes you think "Wow, I felt like I was exploring a vast world before, but it was actually just a little speck in this much bigger world?"

Take, for instance, the representation of the original Zelda map in Zelda II:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zY7hIwMmNi...-h/hyrule2.jpg

And the entire world of Dragon Warrior (the squarish cluster of islands) in Dragon Warrior II:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587248-d...-ii/faqs/48059

I'd love to know of more examples of this, from any system, and pictures would be grand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

Pokemon Gold and Silver works like this, I suppose. you have kanto which is the area from Red and Blue and then they add on Johto which essentially doubled the world.

Johto Map: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/960100-po...ion/faqs/57761
    Kanto Map: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/960100-po...ion/faqs/58089

I love it when games do this as well. I really enjoy it when games have an overworld map, a lot of the fun comes from exploring every inch of the world looking for new towns or hidden places. When games add on to the world, but let you revisit the old locations as well, it brings a little nostalgia to it as well as give you some insight on to how things went on after the events of the last game.
    Last edited by Suikoman444; 08-21-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

dragon warrior 3 also has the original dw1 world actual sized (a little bigger( at one point in the game)

final fantasy x2 has the entire original world in it as well

castlevania 2 has a short rendition of castlevania in it as well.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, the ruins of the castle in Castlevania II is pretty cool, especially since it's completely barren except for when you revive Dracula, so it really does feel like it was left as-is from the end of the previous game.

Although if we start to include games that only reuse a portion, then we'd have an exponentially larger pool of examples. Seems like a lot of developers like to include a little bit of a past game as fan service, but it's rare to see a representation of the entire previous game. I wish more developers were clever like the Zelda II creators. It's great when you can visit the same towns and traverse the land basically as you did before, but it doesn't have to always be done that way. The representation of the original Zelda map has almost nothing to do on it and you can walk across it in seconds, so it's not a big part of the game or something that took much effort on the part of the developers. And since it's small and abstract, the reference isn't screaming in your face. When I first encountered it in Zelda II, I felt that something was suspicious about the area, but it wasn't until I read other people pointing it out and showing the comparison that it clicked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

If you start talking about games that revisit only parts of the previous game there's Suikoden II which allows you to revisit the capital city from Suikoden.

Oh, and Suikoden Tactics uses most if not all of the map from Suikoden IV as well as adding some land in the north.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ishashobar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of the locations from the first Golden Sun arepart part of the map of its sequel, but nothing can be reached.

GS1 Map: http://images.wikia.com/goldensun/im.../f3/Angara.png

The Lost Age Map: http://images.wikia.com/goldensun/im...map_weyard.gif

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, cool idea for a thread. Donkey Kong on Game Boy features a run/tour through all four of the original DK stages as its opening segment. An honourable mention goes to Super Metroid - like the walk through Dracula's castle in Castlevania II, it is merely an iconic selection of the NES Metroid map being revisited in Super Metroid but one can assume that the rest of the tunnels and corridors found in the original caved in or something after the events of the first game. Maybe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first thing that comes to mind is Kirby's Adventure - one of the last levels in the nes game includes very close black and white approximations of the levels from the earlier gameboy title, Kirby's Dream Land. The levels themselves were a nice touch but even mimicking the grayscale? That was awesome.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First thing I thought of was the town from Diablo showing up in Diablo 2. Granted, most of the first game was dungeon, but that IS the entire overworld map showing up in the sequel.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Although not at all a retro game, one that immediately comes to mind is Golden Sun: The Lost Age for GBA. The World Map of the first game is literally in the center of the world in the Lost Age. It's one of the many reasons why Golden Sun TLA is spectacular.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shining Force ups all of these by having the map of Shining Force II in its opening scenes!

Well kinda. The book that Simone is reading at the start has a map of the SF world. It shows several continents and one of them is the land where SF II takes place.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

mighty bomb jack in a way, all the end of level rooms are the normal levels in bomb jack

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Each Romance of the Three Kingdoms game has the entire map that the previous game had. That's kind of obvious though :P. Some other games are the GTA series, Gundam vs games, Gundam Battle games(same maps and add extras,) and the Yakuza games(all have Kamurocho.)

Arc the Lad 2 has all the locations of the first game and then some. In addition, you could actually walk around all areas in Arc the Lad 2, where in the original it was just a few places.

Going backwards, the original Driver had four cities, one of which was New York. In Driver Parallel Lines and Driver 76, they had New York only. Great games, but one city rather than multiple cities which was standard for Driver up to Parallel lines. So those two games had the entire city in their prequel(even if New York wasn't closer to scale like Parallel Lines or GTA4, even smaller than GTA3 New York actually.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I was just thinking how cool it is that there are a couple games on NES that have the entire overworld of a prior game represented, and it's even cooler when the original maps are totally dwarfed in the follow-up. It makes you think "Wow, I felt like I was exploring a vast world before, but it was actually just a little speck in this much bigger world?"

Take, for instance, the representation of the original Zelda map in Zelda II:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zY7hIwMmNi...-h/hyrule2.jpg

And the entire world of Dragon Warrior (the squarish cluster of islands) in Dragon Warrior II:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587248-d...-ii/faqs/48059

I'd love to know of more examples of this, from any system, and pictures would be grand.
    wow I never realized that tiny area was supposed to represent the land in Zelda 1.

One time I was working on recreating the world map of Zelda 1 in RPG maker for the Playstation using the gray haired elf with the green coat as the character. The title of the game was "Just Like Zelda" and for random encounter monsters I was using things like Octopus, Kobold, Minotaur etc to represent enemies from the Zelda games. I didn't keep at it long enough to start making any of the levels dungeons but I should probably start back up again. It would be pretty cool to do that with other games as well.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Each Romance of the Three Kingdoms game has the entire map that the previous game had. That's kind of obvious though :P. Some other games are the GTA series, Gundam vs games, Gundam Battle games(same maps and add extras,) and the Yakuza games(all have Kamurocho.)
    Sequels in which you simply explore the same area as before isn't quite what I'm getting at. I'm talking about sequels that are their own games with new areas to explore while also including the entirety of a previous game's world. And I don't think real-world examples work so well. If you play a game that takes place in Japan and you're shown a map of Japan, you already know that the rest of the Earth is out there (unless the game states otherwise) whether it's acknowledged or shown or not. If a sequel lets you leave Japan and go to China or the US or whatever, it doesn't really have any "wow factor", as opposed to completely invented worlds suddenly revealing that there's so much more than you had imagined.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

super metroid for the snes has a small section (brinstar and taurian) of the original metroid in it near the begining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

The only one I can think of is with Pokémon Gold \ Silver \ Crystal; where, after you finish the main part of the game in Johto, you can go east and explore Kanto (Where Red \ Blue \ Yellow took place)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you mean games that use the same level design (map) in a newer game I have I can think of...

1. Super Smash Bros. with it's level recreations.
    I.E.: Ice Climber Level:
    http://youtu.be/F5gwEztwGSE?t=1m24s

2. Mario Kart Super Circuit (Starting the tradition of Mario Kart games having classic courses from older versions).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5KZM8ROaU

3. Super Paper Mario where the game's level is identical in design, at least for the first bit, to the original Super Mario Bros.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/KjItCybkLj8

4. Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES has the classic Mario Bros 2 player VS. game available. It has a few tweaks here and there, but it's virtually identical and a nice bonus!
    http://youtu.be/QH06zyZAwsE?t=15s

5. Even Little Big Planet with it's recreated renditions of classic levels
    Zelda's first dungeon recreated:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1gOx2U0tW-Q

Pac-Man VS. also has a complete rendition of the first maze played in a new way.

I'm sure there are a ton more... neat topic by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I wish more developers were clever like the Zelda II creators. It's great when you can visit the same towns and traverse the land basically as you did before, but it doesn't have to always be done that way. The representation of the original Zelda map has almost nothing to do on it and you can walk across it in seconds, so it's not a big part of the game or something that took much effort on the part of the developers. And since it's small and abstract, the reference isn't screaming in your face. When I first encountered it in Zelda II, I felt that something was suspicious about the area, but it wasn't until I read other people pointing it out and showing the comparison that it clicked.
    Wow... I played the hell out of Zelda 1 and 2 (and even referenced the Nintendo Player's Guide / Game Atlas for lots of my first Zelda 2 play-through) and I just noticed that now.
    Mind.
    BLOWN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Also a fantastic example of this:Lunar: Eternal Blue.
    It takes place in the same world as The Silver Star, and you get to see how the events in the past game (I think it was 1,000 years prior? I may be wrong but it sure sounds good) helped to shape the present world (i.e. Vane). A few major characters from the first even play some key parts in the story.
    Now I'm feeling nostalgic. *sigh*

Lunar TSS Map: http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/lunarsss/lsss-map.jpg

Lunar: EB Map: http://imageshack.us/f/193/lunar2map.jpg/ (sorry for lack of a better resolution/english language map)
    Last edited by old_skoolin_jim; 08-21-2011 at 08:51 PM.