Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report: 3DS hardware revision due in 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Report: 3DS hardware revision due in 2012

My first thought when I heard they were dropping the price was "they're clearing stock." It'll be interesting if this proves true... and confusing to mainstream consumers.

"Nintendo is to radically revise the design of the 3DS, according to reports, with a new unit due in 2012 sporting a second analogue stick, reduced emphasis on 3D and perhaps even a new name.

The claims come from sources close to French site 01.net, and while they appear outlandish it should be noted that the site has, so far this year, published information on Wii U and Vita that was later proven largely correct.

The first claim is that Nintendo executives believe they made a mistake in not adding a second analogue stick to the original 3DS design. Nintendo R&D is now apparently at work on a peripheral, to be sold separately for around $10, that will add the functionality of a second stick. As such Nintendo has tasked "a select group of developers" with development of games specifically designed for dual analogue sticks.

The report goes on to claim that Nintendo is admitting defeat in its attempt to convince the market that 3DS's glasses-free effect is harmless, and is struggling to market the device's USP through traditional media channels. As such it is to release a new version of the system next year, with a new dual-analogue design, reduced emphasis on 3D and potentially a different name.

The report speculates that, far from being designed to increase the installed base, the recent global price cut was intended to clear stock of the old design ahead of the revision's release next year. It also claims that developers are becoming increasingly frustrated with Nintendo's submission and approval process, as well as the price and scarcity of dev kits - apparently only 300 are being manufactured per month.

All of which sounds fanciful at best but, as mentioned above, it is worth pointing out 01.net's past. In January, it reported on the technical specifications of Sony's PlayStation Vita, which at the time was still codenamed Next Generation Portable. Its report proved largely consistent with the Vita's final specs which Sony revealed last week.

Then, in April, it lifted the lid on Wii U, revealing for the first time the system's development codename of Project Café. Its claims of a six-inch, single-touch screen on the controller, backwards compatibility with Wii games and IBM PowerPC processor proved correct.

Should the 3DS claims be proven correct it would represent a remarkable admission of failure on Nintendo's part. Few would contest, given Nintendo's past, that a hardware revision would transpire at some point, but surely none would predict that it would act so quickly and so drastically. But Nintendo has already shown its willingness to act at speed by cutting the global price of 3DS by up to 40 per cent within six months of launch.

Nintendo responded with a curt: "We don't comment on rumour or speculation.""

Source: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-...ision-due-2012
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

3DS will be known as Virtual Boy 2.0

I look at a "revision" as a new machine for them. This was a failed experiment. Gunpei Yokoi's laughing in his grave.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

So instead of just 3DS Lite-ing us, they're going to take it up a notch. Oh Nintendo, you're so derp.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dynastygal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    d-gal

In other words, more silly little upgrades that the fanboys will lap up and go out and buy a whole new handheld for. I still have my original Nintendo DS...none of this lite, 3D nonsense.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If this is true, it will be Nintendo's fastest hardware revision at retail, beating the GameBoy Advance SP and the DS Lite, both of which had more than a year on their predecessors.

The "clearing stock" theory seems very reasonable.

While I'm personally satisfied with the 1st generation hardware (I rarely play it for periods long enough to drain the battery fully) if they make a model with a longer battery life and fix minor QA issues like screen scratches, D-Pad paint ripple, and analog nub failure I don't think that is ultimately a bad thing.

I'd love to see a 2nd analog nub, but after multiple iterations of the PSP with no 2nd nub appearing I've trained myself not to be hopeful of such things.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recently in gaming, waiting pays off huge. If they dub it the Gameboi I'll shit bricks.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There goes my money again.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I'll enjoy my 3DS for now and worry about this later.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I don't believe the analog stick addition, but some of this seems plasable. I would love a larger screen though.

The 3ds would have sold more units if it was region free, and had a better line up of games at launch, at least IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidnotcrazy View Post
    The 3ds would have sold more units if it was region free...
    Besides you and perhaps a couple scoops of gamers, a system being region free isn't that big a deal to most people. It might have sold five extra units if it was. Though I will admit that this is from a more American point of view-I have no idea what Europeans go through with their gaming and how popular importing is there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    If this is true, it will be Nintendo's fastest hardware revision at retail, beating the GameBoy Advance SP and the DS Lite, both of which had more than a year on their predecessors.
    Yeah, and I thought the year or two between the Game Boy Pocket and Game Boy Color was quick!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a bunch of games that comes out in America but never sees a release here in Europe, so I was very disappointed with the region lock. I also save 50% of my money importing games...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Patney View Post
    I also save 50% of my money importing games...
    That's a primary reason that region locking exists.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know, but I just had to mention it. Only about 10% of my games are imported anyway, and that's mostly games that are exclusive to North America OR was released in NA long before Europe (I hate that shit). I even bought both EU and NA versions of Demon's Souls because I couldn't wait to play it plus I wanted to support localization of such titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dynastygal View Post
    In other words, more silly little upgrades that the fanboys will lap up and go out and buy a whole new handheld for. I still have my original Nintendo DS...none of this lite, 3D nonsense.
    Going from the original DS to the Lite wasn't exactly a silly little upgrade in my opinion. I recently used a friend's original DS after using my DS Lite and DSi for several years and I could barely see the screen. Putting them side by side showed how extreme the upgrade on the LCD really was.

That being said, I still hate the D-pad on the Lite. I love the silly little upgrades on the 3DS also. :P

Thousands of high resolution video game collection photos and scans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, DSlite was a needed upgrade. The screens of the original DS are terrible, it's like those first color screen cell phones. Extremely weak light and a bluish tint all over. I also felt like the lite was way more portable and sleek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't believe it. How exactly could they "de-emphasize" 3D? You can already turn the 3D off. Maybe marketing will talk about it less, but that has nothing to do with a hardware revision. I can't fathom how an analog nub peripheral would work either -- where exactly will it attach? I haven't really heard a bunch of complaints about the 3DS's lack of a second analog nub anyway; the 3DS has its problems, but one analog nub isn't really high on the list.

I also don't see how $170 is a "clearing stock" type of price. That's still higher than the DS launch price. The price drop put the system at what it should've been in the first place.

I can believe that a hardware revision is coming, and even that it's coming fast. But the particulars of this article don't add up IMO.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re-branding. Taking this as a lead and on it's face, it won't be called 3DS anymore. Best to do it soon, as to sweep this all under the rug. The second analog is for those that are aware of 3DS (or already own one) to differentiate. It's brilliant really. Perhaps unprecedented?

One of the many things hurting the platform is their failure to fully get out from the DS's shadow. Laziest, most predictable and least exciting overall system design by them since the Gameboy Color, I'd say.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-23-2011 at 05:19 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm....If I want the original design, I guess I'd better get it soon because we all know that as soon as they're gone from store shelves Ebay will be flooded with $300 3DSes listing it as an "ultra rare" system and the price will just go up from there. *sigh*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as the DS Lite goes...
    I thought they dropped the price to $99. I haven't seen a single store selling it for less than $124.99.

I also don't trust buying it from any of the merchants on Amazon since many of of them sell bootleg Chinese games, and now fake DS Lites too.

I'd like to get another to have since I do like the option of playing GBA games on it.

Thousands of high resolution video game collection photos and scans!