Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamestop removing PC Deus Ex contents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamestop removing PC Deus Ex contents

Just came across this story for anyone who has purchased or is going to purchase Deus Ex:Human Revolution from Gamestop. You might want to think twice.

http://tinyurl.com/3ua6w7b

Just another reason to hate Gamestop more. Like there wasn't enough reasons.
    Last edited by tkusina; 08-24-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Who buys their PC games from GameStop anyways?

You should edit your thread title to note that it's only the PC versions and it's not in-game content...it's just a bonus coupon for a free digital download on a service that people aren't likely using anyways.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Is this really that big of a deal? How many people were actually going to use the code anyway? It's kind of a dick move by Gamestop, but at the same time it's also kind of understandable. Only reason this will become an issue is because it's Gamestop, otherwise there wouldn't be much said if it were any other retailer.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does it matter what they are removing?

The fact that they are removing anything at all that was originally intended for the customer is not only bad business but censorship because it competes with their future digital distribution system.

This is bad for customers all the way around.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Because if they were removing DLC content or something that effects everyone, then there'd be cause for alarm.

But this is a download code for a service that isn't taking off like expected, hence the free games they're giving away to try and get adopters. This really effects very few people.

If Squeenix was supposed to give them copies of the game without those codes and did not for whatever reason, I don't blame GameStop for doing what they're doing.

You're just being sensationalist about it since you obviously have some sort of personal vendetta against GameStop.

RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aren't they in DIRECT competition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    You're just being sensationalist about it since you obviously have some sort of personal vendetta against GameStop.
    Really?

Not going to argue with you. The post was merely for information because i think some people do care that ALL the contents, even a simple coupon, which is part of the purchase are there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because if they were removing DLC content or something that effects everyone, then there'd be cause for alarm.

But this is a download code for a service that isn't taking off like expected, hence the free games they're giving away to try and get adopters. This really effects very few people.

If Squeenix was supposed to give them copies of the game without those codes and did not for whatever reason, I don't blame GameStop for doing what they're doing.

You know I've bought new games that have been gutted at Gamestop before and usually don't have a problem with it, but I would be quite mad to have something taken out of the package that should have been included.

I guess Gamestop might start doing with this Stream downloads as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by tkusina View Post
    Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by tkusina View Post
    Yes really. You obviously already have beef with Gamestop and you (as well as everyone else anti-Gamestop) are blowing this out of proportion. If people really want that free On-Live download, maybe they should try contacting On-Live or Square, otherwise there's no need to have the On-Live version of the game you just purchased a hardcopy of.
    Last edited by exit; 08-24-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... No, I'm sorry, but you're in the wrong here.

How would you like it if they sold a game that included a free Steam / Games For Windows Live / EA Origin download key and they removed them because all three are in direct competition with Impulse, which they purchased recently? Will they remove any game that can be activated or requires a Steam account to play in the future? What about EA's upcoming PC games like Battlefield 3, that require EA Origin?

Or how would you like it if they removed the online code from their new console games, or any bonus content you got with a console game (like a free PC version) because it doesn't fit in with their "competition" policy?

The package is supposed to include everything. EVERYTHING. You do not buy a box of Cracker Jacks only to find it was resealed and someone stole the toy. This code doesn't harm them in the slightest. They have no reason, legal or otherwise, to remove it. Say what you want about them selling gutted copies as new, THEY HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO DO THIS. They could've returned the unopened games and requested copies without the coupon. But no, they wouldn't do that. Why?

This is going to bite them in the ass and make a lot of companies stop selling their digital distribution games on Gamestop or Impulse - and worse, this is a Square Enix game we're talking about. Let's see how they feel when they don't get any future Squeenix game shipments.

And I bet this will probably make whoever looks into shady business practices finally take a good look at Gamestop's stupid "open as new" policies.

(P.S. - I don't hate Gamestop. I hate stupid Gamestop employees, especially the ones in my local stores.)
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 08-24-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Yes really. You obviously already have beef with Gamestop and you (as well as everyone else anti-Gamestop) are blowing this out of proportion. If people really want that free On-Live download, maybe they should try contacting On-Live or Square, otherwise there's no need to have the On-Live version of the game you just purchased a hardcopy of.
    Just because i don't like Gamestop for their practices, which this gave me more reason to, does not take away from the point that they are removing content from a product that was purchased. I'm not going to rehash the reasons to hate Gamestop argument.

You might not place any value on a simple coupon but for others there is a value and the expectation that the product will be complete as intended by the manufacturer.

What if Best Buy started removing coupons for free USB cables that HP put in their printers because Best Buy sells their own brand? Would that be acceptable t you? Why stop there?

What if they started doing this in consoles games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

With this move, they are now selling damaged goods as new.

Someone should sue 'em for fraud.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Now I'm not a GameStop hater at all and I do quite a fair amount of business there so I feel that I can comment fairly on this. Apparantly GS position is that they were not advised of the OnLive coupon. It is a competing service (though a free copy is in and of its self not competition, the possible customer base it could create is) and I can see their reluctance to promote it. If Best Buy partnered with a publisher and included gift cards inside of copies of a particular game would you think every other company would be fine with selling said copy that included the gift card? Probably not.

It is shady and does look bad for GS to be taking stuff out of the box that the manufacturer included, Though they love to sell open games as new and that is a constant irritation. its also kind of shady on Square Enix and other involved parties that they would do this without a major retailers knowledge/support.
    I don't support GS removing things from retail copies but I also find problems with a publisher including freebies for a competing service to a retailer.
    Last edited by Robocop2; 08-24-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I can't believe that anyone into games enough to be posting on a video gaming forum would defend this practice in any form.

I sincerely hope this ends up having the Streisand Effect.
    Last edited by Zing; 08-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Not just censorship - it's anti-competitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Is this where Best Buy starts pulling out Digital Copy codes from DVD/BD combo packs because it competes with their streaming services?

No.

Is this where a music store removes codes for MP3/iTunes copies of a band's album from CDs they sell?

No.

What this is - and all this is - is a dangerous precedent for the modification of goods sold at retail that are being misrepresented as new, whole, undamaged goods that takes advantage of their position as a dominant retailer.

"First they came for the promo codes, and I didn't care because I didn't need a promo code...."

Godwin's Law invoked.

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Terms and conditions of a sale are subject to change, man.

For example, there are numerous dvd's with release dates over the past 4-5 years still being sold on store shelves as new product which contain information for contests/sweepstakes (especially Disney), free downloads of songs or screensavers (numerous films), free digital copies (i.e. The Dark Knight), etc. inside of the dvd case inserts, all of which have a certain expiration date which applies.

Same with video games. Lots of them have filler inserts jammed in with the manual which offer little things such as free downloads, etc. that are only good (or guaranteed) until a certain date with the understanding it can be removed or discontinued on little to no notice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Is this really that big of a deal? How many people were actually going to use the code anyway? It's kind of a dick move by Gamestop, but at the same time it's also kind of understandable. Only reason this will become an issue is because it's Gamestop, otherwise there wouldn't be much said if it were any other retailer.
    Yes its an issue, their opening my supposedly new game and taking stuff out. Now I don't care much about the coupon, if they had their own version without the coupon or the coupons were just loose on the front I would not care. But opening up my copy and then resealing it? Big issue.

That being said I wouldn't buy a PC gamestop (and I haven't) unless I was desperate like a last minute birthday gift. They treat their PC games like shit (least the 2 stores near me). The boxes (even relatively new releases) always have a lot of wear on them and they don't have much of a selection (what they do have is crappily priced as well).

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Gamestop sells so few PC games now that it doesn't even matter. The comparison between the amount of PC and the amount of console games is so laughable. They're supposed to be a specialty retailer, but I can always find a better selection and deal at other places or online.

I remember in the late 90's, like a third of the store was PC games. Really shows how the market has changed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Terms and conditions of a sale are subject to change, man.

For example, there are numerous dvd's with release dates over the past 4-5 years still being sold on store shelves as new product which contain information for contests/sweepstakes (especially Disney), free downloads of songs or screensavers (numerous films), free digital copies (i.e. The Dark Knight), etc. inside of the dvd case inserts, all of which have a certain expiration date which applies.

Same with video games. Lots of them have filler inserts jammed in with the manual which offer little things such as free downloads, etc. that are only good (or guaranteed) until a certain date with the understanding it can be removed or discontinued on little to no notice.
    Terms and conditions are required to be posted and called out on the packaging.