Thread: PlayStation Home Transforming Into Social Platform [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb PlayStation Home Transforming Into Social Platform [Slashdot]

donniebaseball23 writes "Sony's virtual world, PlayStation Home, has seen over 23 million users since launching in December 2008, and now the service is about to undergo its biggest change yet. Jack Buser, director of PlayStation Home, says Sony is planning a 'total redesign of the heart of PlayStation Home' for this Fall. The idea is to put games (particularly free-to-play games) front and center on Home, utilizing a central Hub with a theme park design. The Hub will 'integrate games, quests, community events and user-generated content, while providing players with additional navigation, shopping, socialization and entertainment options.'"

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Transforming? It's always been and continues to be a great social platform unique to the PS3. I doubt that this re-design will do anything to advance it on that front.

For what it's worth, the central space in Home has been pretty well utilized over the past several years in terms of being transformed for major game releases like Killzone or the launch of new areas within the service.

They've showcased many a free to play game there (and everywhere else), so they're pretty much just evolving the service in a smart way ... there are tons of places to go and things to do, now they're going to shape the public spaces better around those things and make it easier for them to modularly fit the spaces/games into the "hub worlds".

I know that Home is typically largely ignored by the gaming public based on its various past stigmas (nothing to do, takes too long to load, too many lines at games) but most if not all of those things are long long gone. Checking in now after several years of weekly growth will give the average user TOO much to do in a single visit. And, for those who want to continue to hold out - when this re-design goes live it may be worth a dip back in to see what's new.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's been said a few times since the service launched in 2008 that Home would eventually have PSN trophies. That is, trophies to earn and ways to display your gaming trophies in your home. Wonder if any of that is part of this transformation.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    It's been said a few times since the service launched in 2008 that Home would eventually have PSN trophies. That is, trophies to earn and ways to display your gaming trophies in your home. Wonder if any of that is part of this transformation.
    Yeah, they mentioned in responses to the official US blog that they are still committed to the concept of a trophy room. Personally I think it would be one of those things that everybody thinks that they want but ultimately wont actually use when it's there. No reason for them not to deliver it though since they sparked interest with the concept for many.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Playstation Home was another one of those ideas that Sony has had in the last 6 years or so that sounded pretty good but because of Sony's own half-assing of the concept.

I enjoyed home initially and its was pretty fun meeting new people, playing poll, and talking about games with other people. The idea of tearing up the home courtyard whenever their was a big release with minigames was also pretty sweet. However outside of that its was a pretty bland experience with the load times being far to long for what you ended up getting. I still have yet to reinstall it on my new PS3...although now that Sony seems to be getting its business in order again I might try this new version when it is released.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

home is honestly only good for trolling with a female avatar
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's like Google+, but with less users and less activity. Kind of like a ghost town with electricity.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Mostly, it's just another way for me to item whore, so I'm all for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great news for people who have no friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have just never really gotten into Home. I tried but it's just not very much fun. Maybe I need to try some of the mini games but even that won't keep me hooked.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a PS3 for about 2 years now. After the first month me and my 8 year old daughter (now 10) came across this feature on the PS3. First I created an avatar and though not really for me she loved it. Then I helped her create her avatar and within 10 minutes of running around the virtual world with her girl avatar, she had about 15 guy avatars following her around. I then put an end to it and it hasn't been used since.