Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Default Just Some Curiosity

I've asked and seen this question asked around the internet and to different people and so I figured I might as well ask here as well. When it comes to the NES and SNES, which one do you prefer?

I, myself, always have a hard time deciding because I love both consoles very much, they're my absolute favorite consoles and gaming would serve no purpose to me if they didn't exist. Normally I would go with the NES, but because my top favorite NES games already exist in greatly-improved remakes on the SNES.

Super Mario Bros. 3; a much superior version exists on the Super Mario All-Stars compilation.

Dragon Quest III; As much as I loved it on the NES, there's nothing like the 1996 Japanese Super Famicom remake.

Then there's Final Fantasy VI, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and several others, most of which are actually RPGs. So here's how it works for me: I prefer the NES when it comes to platformers, puzzle and action games, and I come to the SNES for RPGs, shmups and some of its puzzle games as well (nothing like Tetris Attack!).

Overall, I think I have to say the SNES, as much as I almost want to say the NES because of its huge, varied library, let alone those fantastic Konami games and the classic 6 Mega Man games. What about you guys?
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xXClan KillerXx

For me... It's the SNES only because of the RPG'S... I agree that some of the Nes games have better versions on the SNES but for some reason I always find myself playing the NES versions.. I will only play Super MArio 3 on the NES.
    Follow me on twitter at
    http://twitter.com/OldSkoolGaming

Checkout my Youtube Videos of Reviews, Collections, and more at www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolbrian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aryoshi View Post
    Super Mario Bros. 3; a much superior version exists on the Super Mario All-Stars compilation.
    The screwy daylight hours up there in Alaska must be messing with your head.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the crap out of the NES until 1993, and a fair bit for a few years afterwards, and I still love it for what it is, but the SNES is the console that really stole my heart.

I don't remember when I first rented Final Fantasy II (IV) from the local video hut, but it completely changed my perspective of what games could be from that point forward. It was my first RPG, and even though it was somewhat dated by then I didn't mind one bit. When Final Fantasy III (IV) came out a year later, my love for that console over all others was set in stone.

That said, I see myself mostly collecting for the NES in the near future, because 1) Games are cheaper and 2) There seems to be a lot more genre variety on that platform.

Quote Originally Posted by aryoshi View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks All-Stars is kind of "meh"? It's probably the least used cart that I have out of 30+. I even play Mario is Missing more than that.
    Last edited by WesternNYCollector; 09-06-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

NES by a considerable margin. SMB 3 superior on All-Stars? Only for actually allowing you to save instead of completing the whole damn game in one sitting.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES for RPG's and a few other things like Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero. But as a general rule for me, NES all the way.
    As for Super Mario All Stars, it was cool to me way back then, but not any more. 8-bit is the ONLY way to enjoy those Mario games. Especially SMB3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYCollector View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks All-Stars is kind of "meh"? It's probably the least used cart that I have out of 30+. I even play Mario is Missing more than that.
    Actually All-Stars seems to be regarded by most as a copout :<

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

SNES.

I've really always seen the SNES as literally a Super NES, as in most of the staple NES games received vastly superior remakes or sequels on the SNES. I prefer all of Nintendo's now staple series' SNES counterparts to their NES versions. There were also a ton of unique games to come to the SNES that got their start on that console. Along with the overall graphics and gameplay quality being better on the SNES the consoles controller was a huge improvement over the NES brick. It really was a Super Nintendo and IMO better then the original in pretty much every way.

Ex.

Metroid < Super Metroid
    Contra < Contra III Alien Wars
    LoZ < LoZ: A Link to the Past
    SMB 1 & 3 < SMB World
    SMB 1,2, 3 < SMB All Stars
    Final fantasy 1, II, III < Final Fantasy IV, V, VI

StarFox
    Donkey Kong Series
    Yoshi's Island
    SMB RPG
    Chrono Trigger
    Mario Cart

Ex. (just off the top of my head)

I was a huge Sega fan back in the day (Master System and Genesis) and had a bias against Nintendo for a long time because of that. Where the NES failed to convince me of the virtues of Nintendo consoles and games the SNES succeeded.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 09-06-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    SNES.

I've really always seen the SNES as literally a Super NES, as in most of the staple NES games received vastly superior remakes or sequels on the SNES. I prefer all of Nintendo's now staple series' SNES counterparts to their NES versions. There were also a ton of unique games to come to the SNES that got their start on that console. Along with the overall graphics and gameplay quality being better on the SNES the consoles controller was a huge improvement over the NES brick. It really was a Super Nintendo and IMO better then the original in pretty much every way.

Ex.

Metroid < Super Metroid
    Contra < Contra III Alien Wars
    LoZ < LoZ: A Link to the Past
    SMB 1 & 3 < SMB World
    SMB 1,2, 3 < SMB All Stars
    Final fantasy 1, II, III < Final Fantasy IV, V, VI

StarFox
    Donkey Kong Series
    Yoshi's Island
    SMB RPG
    Chrono Trigger
    Mario Cart

Ex. (just off the top of my head)
    As said on facebook... "Likes this"
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had some great moments with the NES (dragon warrior I am looking at you) but I am a bit too young to remember it as I grew up. The SNES was more of my time frame and I remember playing it at friends' houses.

The SNES wins in my personal book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the NES for me. Growing up, the NES was the only console I had until I got my first job and bought a Playstation in 1999 (although I did play the Genesis at my friend's house). I'm just starting to get into the SNES, so I haven't played many of the AAA titles yet. Give me some time.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm surprised to see all this hate for All-Stars. I see absolutely nothing about it that makes it inferior to the NES originals. I'd say it has the best remakes and is the best compilation ever made. It was the reason I got a SNES (since I no longer had access to a NES at the time), and I played through all of the games countless times over on All-Stars. There was never a single second where I felt like something was lacking.

Anyway, NES and SNES are my top two favorite systems too. Overall, I like SNES better. You can't beat stuff like the aforementioned All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, Lufia II, Kirby Super Star, Pop'n TwinBee, Wonder Project J, Castlevania IV, the Donkey Kong Country series, Goemon 4, Fire Emblem, Marvelous, etc. etc.

That said, I do think some genres are overall better represented on NES. The big-name platformers are excellent on SNES, but most of the lesser-known titles are disposable garbage. NES had loads of great platformers from the mega-popular to the obscure, and they usually offer a better challenge than SNES platformers. Super Mario World is just way too easy. Shmups were overall better on NES since there were more of them, and they tended to move faster and offer a better challenge. I might give adventure games to the NES too. SNES was absolutely better for RPGs, though, and racers were better too (although I think 3D really helped racers take off).

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

I've seen some interesting answers here and I'm actually surprised by the negative criticism for All-Stars! This is actually the first place I've been to where I've heard this many people say bad things about it. I do agree, there's nothing like the NES versions, but I always seem to come back to the ones on All-Stars.

SNES seems to be a favorite with RPGs, and I couldn't agree more, there were nothing like SNES RPGs, still isn't. One of the best parts is that there's really so many of them to choose from. SNES did have some amazing platformers as well, like Super Metroid, Sunset Riders, Mega Man X1-X3, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and quite a few more.

I also agree with pretty much everything substantial_snake said too, basically hit the nail right on the head.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Love the SNES. It was the first system I had to save up for and buy when I was younger. The Squaresoft games. Super Metroid. I had it hooked up to my stereo back then, it was just gaming greatness.

And yeah, i hated the floaty feeling you got when you jumped in the SMB remakes on all stars. The controls were vague and imprecise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as All Stars is concerned, I like SMB 1&2 (US) better on the SNES, but SMB 3 is much more enjoyable on the NES. Especially the music, which sounded gimped on the SNES version.

My thoughts on the two systems: even though I've played the SNES way more than the NES and most of the games may be technically superior, I associate more positive memories with the NES. It was a huge part of my childhood and I remember all of us in the neighborhood getting together, renting and playing NES games almost all night. Or walking a mile or two so I could borrow Marble Madness from a buddy of mine. I'd get into conversations about the NES with kids at school that I had never talked to before and then magically we were friends, fool! While the SNES brought great gaming into my home, the NES will always have a special place in my heart that no system could ever replicate or replace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the time of its launch, the SNES conquered my heart and made me more or less abandon my NES to the dark recesses of my closet as I played Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and the Street Fighters. Now, however, it is the NES that I prefer. Visually, there is something about the highly pixelated graphics of the NES that charm the nostalgic hell out of me. The stylization entrances me. As graphics became increasingly more and more "realistic," they paradoxically looked less real to me, appearing as aborted simulation of reality. It was around the dawn of the first Playstation and the N64 when the superior graphics of these systems started to disenchant me with video games. The NES, even with its flickering issues that surfaced from time to time, possesses a simplistic purity that will forever endear me to the venerable old grey box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    And yeah, i hated the floaty feeling you got when you jumped in the SMB remakes on all stars. The controls were vague and imprecise.
    Actually.. Now that I think about it that's one thing I did actually happen to dislike about it, the controls in the NES versions seem a lot sharper and more accurate. All-Stars' control scheme seems to have taken after Super Mario World, which doesn't honestly surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by treismac
    At the time of its launch, the SNES conquered my heart and made me more or less abandon my NES to the dark recesses of my closet as I played Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and the Street Fighters. Now, however, it is the NES that I prefer. Visually, there is something about the highly pixelated graphics of the NES that charm the nostalgic hell out of me. The stylization entrances me. As graphics became increasingly more and more "realistic," they paradoxically looked less real to me, appearing as aborted simulation of reality. It was around the dawn of the first Playstation and the N64 when the superior graphics of these systems started to disenchant me with video games. The NES, even with its flickering issues that surfaced from time to time, possesses a simplistic purity that will forever endear me to the venerable old grey box.
    I suppose you could consider me polyamorous in a way with the NES and SNES, I almost love them equally as much, the NES I love for pretty much all the same reasons you brought up. I like your point of view on how gaming's come, they try so hard to make games realistic these days but they seem to get more fake to me. Besides, why would you want a game to be realistic when one main purpose of playing games is to get away from real life? I enjoy these newer games time to time, but I tend to spend 90% of my time in the 80s and early 90s

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Growing up I had a Master System - not a NES. I didn't get a NES until it was long obsolete so I view it differently than those who played it when it was fresh. I probably view it the same way people people view the Master System. There's a bunch of great NES games but it can't compete with something I actually played when it was new. I got my SNES not too long after launch and enjoyed every day I had with it. I think nostalgia plays an important role. For those of us here who had both - those who grew up with Mega Man, Contra, Mario, etc., on the NES might have a harder time choosing. For me, the SNES was the first time I played many of those iconic franchises. Both systems had large libraries but I think the quality of the SNES line-up was better overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pixelsnpolygons View Post
    Both systems had large libraries but I think the quality of the SNES line-up was better overall.
    Maybe, maybe not, but remember this: The NES is the only game system in history that was popular enough to have had its own movie (The Wizard)! And it's not a bad little movie at that. A bit cheesy, perhaps, but it has a certain charm that lets you forgive that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but remember this: The NES is the only game system in history that was popular enough to have had its own movie (The Wizard)! And it's not a bad little movie at that. A bit cheesy, perhaps, but it has a certain charm that lets you forgive that.
    And the best game ever made was the spotlight feature!