Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 3DS second analog stick attachment unveiled

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D View Post
    The 3DS is a new product, it shouldn't all of a sudden be old and out of date due to this seemingly "optional" add-on (We all know that for the games that support this, and there will be MANY, that the best experience will be with the add-on). So it's true: my new toy is no longer capable of all things new. The new gaming experiences that I specifically bought this toy for can not be had to their full potential unless I spend more money on something that is extremely ugly and goes against the portable nature of the product (I'm a commuting-gamer).
    Would you be happier if developers like Capcom just stayed within the limitations of the system and made something like Monster Hunter not meet it's full potential for everyone by not supporting this accessory?

I don't see how this accessory is harming your experience because some gamers that are pleased this exist can get a second analog stick and additional shoulder buttons to improve their experience if they desire.

How is that harming your ability to enjoy the 3DS? Your experience is the same whether this accessory gets released and you ignore it for the reasons you've stated, or if it just didn't exist at all.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-04-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5839649/do-you-own...ewing-you-over

Amusing to see all of the people bitching about Kotaku's negative tone when writing about the 3DS. I almost bought a 3DS, having enjoyed the DS a lot (and the GBA SP, GB, etc.). The initial launch lineup didn't really have a must-have game for me, though, so I passed on it, figuring I'd wait for that game. It still hasn't come.

If I had invested $400+ in a 3DS and a bunch of games at launch, I would have been pissed by this add-on crap. Sure, when you buy in early to something, you're paying to have it early. It's a privilege to get to enjoy something new and exciting before other people. It still doesn't excuse the fact that half a year into the system being out, Nintendo is already making it obsolete. Yes, this add-on clearly signifies an upcoming revision, one that is not only more streamlined, which is to be expected, but one that features additional features that will prevent you from enjoying games being played the way they were intended to be without the add-on and/or the next hardware revision.

People will defend anything. I think too many people get their jollies just by arguing any point. Hell, today I attempted to watch another filmmaker trying to tear apart a scene of the Dark Knight, bitching about how it's shot. These silly people like attention too much.

Jive, you're entirely entitled to feel the way you do.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 09-14-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-04-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    If I had invested $400+ in a 3DS and a bunch of games at launch, I would have been pissed by this add-on crap.
    I bought it at launch, and I'm not pissed off.

However, I don't think I'll be an early adopter of Nintendo stuff again for awhile.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Amusing to see all of the people bitching about Kotaku's negative tone when writing about the 3DS. I almost bought a 3DS, having enjoyed the DS a lot (and the GBA SP, GB, etc.). The initial launch lineup didn't really have a must-have game for me, though, so I passed on it, figuring I'd wait for that game. It still hasn't come.

If I had invested $400+ in a 3DS and a bunch of games at launch, I would have been pissed by this add-on crap. Sure, when you buy in early to something, you're paying to have it early. It's a privilege to get to enjoy something new and exciting before other people. It still doesn't excuse the fact that half a year into the system being out, Nintendo is already making it obsolete. Yes, this add-on clearly signifies an upcoming revision, one that is not only more streamlined, which is to be expected, but one that features additional features that will prevent you from enjoying games being played the way they were intended to be without the add-on and/or the next hardware revision.

People will defend anything. I think too many people get their jollies just by arguing any point. Hell, today I attempted to watch another filmmaker trying to tear apart a scene of the Dark Knight, bitching about how it's shot. These silly people like attention too much.

Again, how is this add-on in any way making your 3DS obsolete? At this point, the only way you can even use the add-on is if you own a regular old 3DS, the same one they have been selling since launch. There is no dual pad model nor has Nintendo announced one. Nothing has been made obsolete and there is no indication it will be made obsolete at any point in the future. Please explain how this "clearly" signals an upcoming revision when Nintendo has a long history of releasing add-ons that aren't required to play its games (rumble packs, Motion Plus, etc....). With specific reference to Wii Motion Plus, some two years after release there are only four released games and one upcoming game that require it. Several of these games were only sold with a Wii Motion Plus controller or add-on pack as a bundle. Why aren't people complaining that Nintendo made the regular Wii remote obsolete? I think it's because most people aren't reactionary whiners who fear progress and greater choice and the fact that most of us appreciate a company working to improve a product we have spent our hard earned money to buy.

You don't even own a 3DS like many of us, you didn't pay anywhere near $400 since you have spent a total of $0 on the 3DS and its games, so IMHO, you are just another one of the cattle-like masses bitching about something for which you have no personal stake whatsoever. Nintendo could have just said "hey, developers want a second analog stick, we're going to release a new piece of hardware and if you don't buy it, you can't play the new games". Instead, they offered an inexpensive add-on that isn't even required to play any game at this point. I think they should be commended rather than criticized and frankly, the only people who are trying to get their jollies and defend anything are people like you who have zero credibility because you have no stake in the outcome of the situation either way. Tell you what, why don't you come back when Nintendo actually announces a new handheld with this second analog stick, ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Tell you what, why don't you come back when Nintendo actually announces a new handheld with this second analog stick, ok?
    See you within the next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I certainly understand how you feel, Jive (I bought my DS just a few days before the DS Lite was announced, for instance). But you had to have known when you bought this so early on that there was an excellent risk that something like this will happen.

The Game Boy saw two significant revisions (One of which was a Japanese exclusive), the Game Boy Advance saw three revisions (Which brought sidelighting to the GBA and later on, backlighting to the platform), and the DS saw three revisions that significantly enhanced the system over time.

Buying this handheld so early on all but guarantees that you're not going to have the best version of the system by the time everything is said and done. Who knows just what improvements we'll get when, but I think Nintendo's past practices all but guarantees a revision or two.

You're an early adapter. Stuff like that happens and if you buy it early, it's because you want to enjoy it now. I wouldn't let the threat of a revision drag your enjoyment of this platform down just because it might not stay as the latest and greatest version of the system for the next 5 years.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-14-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I certainly understand how you feel, Jive (I bought my DS just a few days before the DS Lite was announced, for instance). But you had to have known when you bought this so early on that there was an excellent risk that something like this will happen.
    I also bought a DS right before the Lite was announced. I honestly didn't think Nintendo was going to release another revision, and if they didn't I didn't think it was going to be anywhere near that soon. Thankfully I never bought a Lite though, as when I finally played one about three years ago, while the screen was better and it was lighter, the buttons were just much worse in comparison.

The reason I didn't think another revision was coming is because it was already backlit, andit's like, what could Nintendo really change.

The multiple revisions the DS came out with really makes me not want to purchase a 3DS until the end of its life cycle, and it really sucks because I want to play some of the games that have been announced on it, but I also don't want to have an inferior handheld in comparison to the one I could end up owning. With the DSi and then the XL, it has become apparent that the newer 3DS could be as different from the original as the XL is from the original DS.

I was also extremely close to trading in my original DS and purchasing a 3DS when the price dropped early. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was glad I didn't.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People complain far less when Apple make repeated revisions of their products.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The multiple revisions the DS came out with really makes me not want to purchase a 3DS until the end of its life cycle
    Nintendo did the same thing with the GBA too, releasing the SP and then a second SP with a much better screen.

The second analog thing hasn't changed my timeline for buying a 3DS, as I wasn't rushing out to get one. And if I had one, it wouldn't bother me much either - after all, I've been through this with the GBA and NDS, so I'm practically expecting it at this point.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

With the GBA it was going from the GBA to GBA SP with backlight. I'm aware there's the SP2 which wasn't much of a revision from SP and then the Micro, so it's not like those matter.

However, the DS has some really major revisions after the DS Lite. DSi with the cameras and the memory slot, plus exclusive games, then the XL with the much larger screen. There's no past Gameboy that has ever had major revisions like the DS has. Same thing with the PSP. TV out on the PSP2000 and future revisions, and really, that's it(there's the mic on 3000 and then the Go which was a flop.) I'll be picking the Vita up day one, as I can't very well foresee any future revisions to be much different from the one I'll end up purchasing.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-14-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

However, the DS has some really major revisions after the DS Lite. DSi with the cameras and the memory slot, plus exclusive games, then the XL with the much larger screen. There's no past Gameboy that has ever had major revisions like the DS has.
    Regardless as to whether it's a 'major revision' or not (which is an arbitrary designation on your part IMO), your point is moot: the consumer in question is saying I'm not buying your hardware yet because I know changes are coming, even if they don't know what those changes are. They value waiting for the revision more than they value getting their hands on it now.

Which is really what you were saying in the first place, so I don't know why you took issue with the GBA comment (other than I guess you felt the need to say those differences didn't matter to you personally?)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Which is really what you were saying in the first place, so I don't know why you took issue with the GBA comment (other than I guess you felt the need to say those differences didn't matter to you personally?)
    Yeah, this right here.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I was one of those launch day people who spent WELL more than 400 at launch. Hell I think my launch count of games was 9 in addition to the system. Not mad about this, and frankly don't give a shit that this preferial is coming out, or that it could be part and parcel of the eventual revamped system. I didn't care when the DSLite hit and I continued to use my Phat for another 2 years before I upgraded to a Lite. I skipped the DSi because I didn't need one with the only added option of DSiWare games. About the time I wanted one (for the DSi store access, over the better screen of the DSi), the XL hit, got one for katchoo and decided to wait for the 3DS that'd do all the DSi did + well.... 3D.

I've only got 2 beefs with the system. Battery life and the split between DSi & 3DS-ware DL games. 3DS games can be stored on memory cards and accessed via that, the DSi games are stored in onboard memory. I'm more worried about the much larger selection of DSi games and a lack of onboard memory for them. Does this shortened battery life kill my ability to play the system? No... but at times I've got to worry about charging more than i'd want to, but I've yet to run out of the ability to play this on the go.

I'm not grumpy by 'additional' features for the 3DS any more than I am about Kinect or Move and those have games that REQUIRE those controllers to be able to play. Those are just as much of a system add on as this second stick. I've yet to adopt either of those systems and have no huge rush to do so. I'll get em eventually (the Move has some stuff i'd want to play, vs the 2 games i'd want to play for Kinect). At least with the currently slated Japanese games that'd be getting this second stick compatability they can all be played w/o the stick. If it becomes standard, so what, by then I may be willing to jump to a new system, but will likely already have that second stick adaptor and unless battery life has gotten THAT much better i'll continue to use the 3DS that will still be perfectly fine.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With the GBA it was going from the GBA to GBA SP with backlight. I'm aware there's the SP2 which wasn't much of a revision from SP and then the Micro, so it's not like those matter.
    The SP was sidelit and had a worse screen than the original DS.

The backlit SP2's screen was a huge improvement and used the same screen technology as the DS Lite (And the GBA Micro).

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moggles View Post
    People complain far less when Apple make repeated revisions of their products.
    No offense, but out of curiosity, do Mapquest directions to your house involve crawling under rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A
    Would you be happier if developers like Capcom just stayed within the limitations of the system and made something like Monster Hunter not meet it's full potential for everyone by not supporting this accessory?
    This argument is kind of flawed. This addon is most likely something cooked up by Nintendo, not Capcom. Nintendo is using Monster Hunter, one of the biggest name titles in Japan, to ensure that this gets a large install base fast. Remember Monster Hunter Tri for Wii being packaged with a Classic Controller Pro before it was sold separately? It's the same as Valve making deals with game developers to require Steam to play a certain game.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What I said had nothing to do about the motivation behind this product or what software will be supporting it.

I was just posing a theoretical question to him. If he had the power as a 3DS owner to decide, would he rather have everyone be stuck with a single analog stick as their only option like the stock system has? Or allow developers to support this accessory to give gamers an option of selecting dual analog control in their games by purchasing this accessory?

His games will still be using a single analog stick either way. So I don't see what him or other disgruntled 3DS users would be losing by this accessory or a system revision being released. The only scenario I can think of where the experience of a stock 3DS owner could be harmed was if we had 3DS software that requires this accessory. But we have no sign of that at this time or reason to expect we will. Publishers will no doubt want to continue selling their software to stock 3DS system owners, so I don't see anyone requiring this accessory with their software.

I'd personally always vote for having options such as steering wheel support in a racing game, USB keyboard/mouse support in a fps, etc. Their presence doesn't damage the standard experience and provides the gamer the option of enhancing their experience if they decide to purchase and use the accessory.

That seems like a good thing from my perspective.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-15-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I have to be honest and say I really thought this was fake, but hey lets hope it makes it to the states. Unlike the Arkanoid/Space Invaders Extreme paddle controller. Which I imported btw. What can I say? I luv me games!