Thread: Need S-Video Cord off ebay - Recommendations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need S-Video Cord off ebay - Recommendations?

So the S-Video cord on my PS2 finally died. I went to radio shack today as they are the ONLY store that still caries this sort of thing, and got a multi cord that works on PS3 PS2, xbox 360, etc and the thing gives me some serious shaking even on composite settings.

What do I do now? Do I just buy an official PS3 S-Video cord since they're backwards compatible?

Come to think of it, did sony ever MADE an official S-Video cord for the PS2 and PS3?
    Last edited by wingzrow; 09-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own the official Sony PlayStation s-video cable. It works on the PlayStation, PSone, and PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does the box look like? I cannot find a single one on eBay for the life of me.

They're all chinese knockoffs.

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a monster cable. They can be had for less than ten bucks used if you find one I think.

I might be thinking about the component cable though so don't quote me on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sony s-video cable model number is SCPH-1100, which may help you in your search. I did a quick search on ebay and found no results. There was one hit for the Sony analog flightstick, but that is because the sell made a mistake with the model number. The flightstick is SCPH-1110.

Here is a photo of my PS2 component cable, which I have in retail packaging. This packaging is identical to the PlayStation s-video cable, except it says "PlayStation" instead of "PlayStation 2", of course. The font, colouring, etc is all identical.

The older, original s-video cable from before the days of the PSone and PS2 came in the usual black box and the cable was grey, not black.

I suppose I could have just taken a photo of my s-video cable package, but I already had the PS2 cable photographed since it is for sale ($10 plus shipping if you want it).

I'm actually not currently using my PlayStation s-video cable, but I may someday and now knowing that it appears to be ultra-rare, I guess I will hold on to it. I bought it from ebay several years ago and there were a few to choose from, although mine was the only one still sealed in the package.
    Last edited by Zing; 09-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I searched the PS2 section for the cables as well, and you are right, they are all just random third party no name cables. It seems that an easy way to detect these cables is if they also have composite (yellow) connector. The real s-video cable just has the s-video and red/white audio connectors. The real one also has a rather large ferrite ring (or whatever is inside that large plastic cylinder built into the cable).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1st party, 3rd party doesn't matter. Just watch to be sure all four pins are intact on the SVideo cord. Why didn't the industry follow Commodore computers with the dual RCA leads?

Why not utilize the best for your PS2 and go component 480p?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not all PS2 games support 480P.

I should have mentioned this but I use my PS2 chiefly for playing Playstation games, many of which are 2D or have 2D backgrounds.

In addition to that my 32 inch sony trinitron only accepts composite & s-video so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Well, i've been through two "NEW" sets of cords now, one from radio shack, one from walmart. Each claimed they worked on PS2 but gave me screen shaking in menus in chrono cross which is NOT suppose to be there.

Would try one of gamestop's "legacy " multi cords but they do NOT allow you to make returns on cords unless they are for the same exact item.

I'm hoping I can pick something up at a flea market in a few hours, as ile be making my rounds anyway.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 09-11-2011 at 01:41 AM.