Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Common" game that eludes you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the moment it is Superman 64. One of these days, this game shall be mine!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    At the moment it is Superman 64. One of these days, this game shall be mine!
    Yeah just don't try and play it and you'll be fine. Probably a lot of them were burnt and smashed with hammers so I reckon it would be pretty rare.
    Go, go Ackman!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Put me down for Super Metroid as well. I SEE it sometimes, but I'm not paying 30+ dollars for the damn thing either. Meanwhile I got Metroid II at a good price without even really looking for it.
    Hah, I actually have a story behind this one. A year or so back, I was talking to a fellow DPer about trading stuff. He had some anime VHSes I was interested in, although he said we wasn't looking for anything at the moment besides Super Metroid. The very next day, I went into a Goodwill and just happened to stumble into it for $2. I consider that the luckiest find ever.

You're welcome, exit.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me it's Gunstar Heroes for Genesis, just can't seem to pick that one up anywhere and everytime I see it online it costs a little more than I want to pay for it.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Insert Coin (Level 0) ishashobar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
    Yeah just don't try and play it and you'll be fine. Probably a lot of them were burnt and smashed with hammers so I reckon it would be pretty rare.
    So that's why I can't find any copies of shaq fu in the wild.

I seem to have trouble finding almost any common nes Carts. One day, i will find a Legend of Zelda cart.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Hah, I actually have a story behind this one. A year or so back, I was talking to a fellow DPer about trading stuff. He had some anime VHSes I was interested in, although he said we wasn't looking for anything at the moment besides Super Metroid. The very next day, I went into a Goodwill and just happened to stumble into it for $2. I consider that the luckiest find ever.

You're welcome, exit.
    Get me another one and I can offer you some VHS anime in exchange probably, haha.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ET for the atari vcs. I swear I can't find a single copy of this game anywhere.

-mike

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by killersquirel View Post
    ET for the atari vcs. I swear I can't find a single copy of this game anywhere.

-mike
    Keep digging!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Get me another one and I can offer you some VHS anime in exchange probably, haha.
    Heh, I doubt I'll ever get that lucky again. Biggest coincidence in my collecting experience ever.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For what it is worth, although everybody talks about how common some Atari carts are I have never seen one in the wild at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You haven't been around long enough then, GameNinja. You should eventually run into some.

I still remember BigLots/Odd Lots selling boxes Atari games for $1-$2 in the second half of the 90s.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can kind of back up GameNinja, actually. While I have seen Atari carts in the wild, I bet it's been fewer than 10. And that's in over 10 years of collecting (albeit, I only really hunt over the summer). And I've never once come across an Atari system. Oddly enough, I've found more Intellivision and Colecovision games, but even then that's probably no more than 20 games a piece. No systems in the wild for those either. Had to pick up my Colecovision here on the board, and I still don't have an Intellivision to play my carts on.

I would say that the vast majority of stuff I find is from the NES and later. Most people that no longer want their pre-crash stuff probably got rid of it many years ago. And those who haven't probably have it buried so deep in the attic that no one will find it until someone dies, haha.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely Shaq Fu. I could go on Amazon and buy a sealed copy for under $10, last I checked, but that doesn't seem like it should be necessary...

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I can kind of back up GameNinja, actually. While I have seen Atari carts in the wild, I bet it's been fewer than 10. And that's in over 10 years of collecting (albeit, I only really hunt over the summer). And I've never once come across an Atari system. Oddly enough, I've found more Intellivision and Colecovision games, but even then that's probably no more than 20 games a piece. No systems in the wild for those either. Had to pick up my Colecovision here on the board, and I still don't have an Intellivision to play my carts on.

I would say that the vast majority of stuff I find is from the NES and later. Most people that no longer want their pre-crash stuff probably got rid of it many years ago. And those who haven't probably have it buried so deep in the attic that no one will find it until someone dies, haha.
    Weird, must be a regional thing. I was just out doing some shopping today and between Play N Trade and Half Price Books, there must have been well over 100 Atari carts, all commons. Many have been languishing there for months/years too. I'd say I run into an Atari 2600 system while garage sale-ing at least once every 2-3 weeks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Glitch695's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For whatever reason Donkey Kong Country 3 never turns up around here for under $25, and I still don't have that game. I saw it one time in the wild: at a rummage sale. I said 'oooh!' in a Homer Simpson donut reaching voice and grabbed for it, only to find the person at the rummage grabbing it first saying it wasn't supposed to be out there, then taking it in the house.
    Not cool.
    Well Versed in the Classics Podcast - http://wellversedintheclassics.blogspot.com/
    Check us out!

07/04/11 - RIP, Frank Garrett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A common game that has eluded me for a while is Digger T Rock for the NES. Its a cheaper game but I have never seen it in the wild or any video game store. I once won one on Ebay and didnt end up getting it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

It took me forever to find Contra for the NES at a decent price. Its seems to be on the same rarity level as other in demand action games such as the Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden series of games, but yet it always sells for 2 to 3times the amount of those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Ikari Warriors III, the first two are all over the place, this one, I've never seen on game hunts. Stuff I do buy off ebay or forums, I wind up finding a ton of afterward. There's a few more as well, including one that isn't common, Lolo II NES, I missed a copy by 1 day at a local game shop.