Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

HANDS-DOWN Best version of Tetris and BEST game for N64. For me anyway.

Also, what the fuck, no one mentioned Mario Tennis? That game is second place for me, so much fun with 4 players!

And where are Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2? The Mini-Games in those are great!

AND none of the Mario Parties mentioned? Geez guys!
    Last edited by Baloo; 09-16-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There have already been lots of topics that serve this purpose. This one's the sort of "official" one:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Body Harvest is great. Put it on the list. Also Castlevania Legacy of Darkness was a fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

also dont forget TopGear Overdrive, not a bad racing game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paper Mario is the only game that wont make you blind from bluriness, thus the only game worth owning for the system. Its also a fun game too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I only count about 10 games that I see listed that I'd personally consider justifying owning a Nintendo 64. Some pretty weak examples have been listed that I don't think the average person would think nearly as highly of as the person that listed it (Excluding SuperMan 64, which I'm sure was just a joke).

For myself, I got a Nintendo 64 along with Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, and Monaco Grand Prix a year after Ocarina was released. Ocarina of Time alone justified my purchase and even if I never played another game on it that I enjoyed, I couldn't of regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    Paper Mario is the only game that wont make you blind from bluriness, thus the only game worth owning for the system. Its also a fun game too!
    I dismissed this back in the day since I wanted a platformer and not a RPG. Bought it on a whim a few years ago on the Virtual Console and fell in love and went out and got every other Mario RPG there was...

It looks so good through component cables on my Wii hooked up to my Trinitron that I forget I'm playing a Nintendo 64 game. Very polished game that has aged far better from an aesthetic view than virtually any other game in the library.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-17-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64 may be dated but still is very relevant as has many quality games still very enjoyable, which is a reason the N64 is such a popular system to make into a handheld. Games like Super Mario 64, Pokemon Puzzle League, Waverace, Zelda and a stack of other titles will keep the N64 popular for as long as people can get the consoles and games still working.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    see people always complained of this "Bluriness" that the N64 supposedly had that was annoying.

I honestly never even noticed it on mine. and i am partially blind in one eye which renders me more sensitive to stuff like this cause the other eye compensates for the lack of vision from the latter eye. Never once did i stop playing a game and go "you know this is making my eyes hurt maybe i should stop"

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    There have already been lots of topics that serve this purpose. This one's the sort of "official" one:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493
    This thread is more of the best games for the console I was looking for more along the lines of games that would be fun to have with the console not necissarily the "top x" games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    see people always complained of this "Bluriness" that the N64 supposedly had that was annoying.

I honestly never even noticed it on mine. and i am partially blind in one eye which renders me more sensitive to stuff like this cause the other eye compensates for the lack of vision from the latter eye. Never once did i stop playing a game and go "you know this is making my eyes hurt maybe i should stop"
    I'm legally blind in my left eye and never noticed that I was more sensitive to anything. I just don't see in 3D and the vision from my left eye basically serves as extended peripheral vision on that side since I depend on my right eye. But I never felt like it made me more sensitive to something like blurry videogame graphics.

Buy a Virtual Console Nintendo 64 game and compare to the original console. The blurring effect is eliminated on that emulator and the effect becomes much more obvious when you return to the original hardware (Not that it ever bothered me, but it is there).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ogre Battle 64, Nightmare Creatures, Mega Man 64.

I own all three as well as others mentioned, I've never owned an N64. Since I usually didn't ever play it, I'd borrow my best friends. I also own Nightmare Creatures, Mega Man Legends, and Resident Evil 2 on the PSX(GC too for RE2,) giving me less of a reason to eventually purchase the system, even now. Great system with too few good releases. Probably the best system to play with friends though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snowboards is probably one of the most fun "racers" I've ever played. Both are classics. Rocket the Robot on Wheels and Space Station Silicon Valley are must play 1 player games for the N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard Killer Instinct Gold was a pretty good entry but I've never played it to vouch for it's validity.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think there were two Custom Robo games on N64. I saw a bit of gameplay footage of the sequel (V2 it was called? Not sure.) Maybe someone here has played them and can suggest if they were good. The battles reminded me of Sega's Virtual On games.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I didn't see Perfect Dark on your list so add that one too.

I have never owned an N-64 but I did have a blast playing that game with friends of mine, the multiplayer was just awesome.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    I think there were two Custom Robo games on N64. I saw a bit of gameplay footage of the sequel (V2 it was called? Not sure.) Maybe someone here has played them and can suggest if they were good. The battles reminded me of Sega's Virtual On games.
    Yeah, you're right on the two games and the sequel being V2. I own the first and have beaten it. It's really good stuff. Haven't played the sequel (yet, still need to land a cheap copy), but I know it's mostly just more of the same so it should be good too.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I liked the N64 port of Gauntlet.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I only count about 10 games that I see listed that I'd personally consider justifying owning a Nintendo 64. Some pretty weak examples have been listed that I don't think the average person would think nearly as highly of as the person that listed it (Excluding SuperMan 64, which I'm sure was just a joke)..
    The list is not meant to be a list of the greatest games or anything like that there is already been plenty of threads about that this was meant to be where people listed their personal ideas of games worth playing. While you may only see 10 on the list you see worth playing, most of the games listed given some time are worth playing to many people. I have played most of the ones listed and would say they are worth giving a shot.

When you say you don't think that the average person would think nearly as high of the game as the person who listed it, who are you talking about? These ARE the average people listing these games.

Are some not the greatest games? Yes. Are any of the ones listed as bad as Action 52? No. They are just some average games. If some people see them as fun chances are the average person would find some fun in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I've heard Killer Instinct Gold was a pretty good entry but I've never played it to vouch for it's validity.
    Very fun. I've had many laughs with this game. You can pull off killer combos without knowing the fighting system really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    I liked the N64 port of Gauntlet.
    Red Warrior is about to die!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    The list is not meant to be a list of the greatest games or anything like that there is already been plenty of threads about that this was meant to be where people listed their personal ideas of games worth playing.
    I thought the topic was to list games worth buying the system for, not just good enough to play if you already owned one. I actually thought he was being generous with counting 10 titles.

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    They are just some average games.
    This pretty much covers my experience with the system, I found everything to just be average. I've had fun with Beetle Adventure Racing but if you already own another fun racing game on another system there's really no need to own it. The other fun games like Goldeneye all seem to be multiplayer, which I don't do.

Nobody seemed to mention Wonder Project J2, I've never played it as it wasn't released here but it's the only game that looks interesting to me. That's one positive thing I'll say about the system.