Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst arcade port to a home console

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ports

Ok this may be unfair but still...Dragons Lair on the NES. What a garbage, sure I can't expect a direct arcade port but at least make a playable game.

Plus on the C64, ZX Spectrum, Amiga, Atari ST tons of crappy arcade ports. Pretty much anything by US Gold...bleh

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I felt burned by the Saturn port of Mortal Kombat II. I remember asking a Babbages employee if it was arcade perfect and she responded "completely." It was a dripping mess, and to add insult to injury, the Ultimate Mortal Kombat III port was much better.

I've purchased MKII for several consoles over the years (Genesis, SNES, Saturn, 32X, Xbox, PS2, PSP) and still haven't received a 100% perfect version. I have yet to try the new compilation released a little while ago for 360 and PS3 and hope my search will finally end.
    It really boils down to the fact that just about every port of every Mortal Kombat game is absolute junk.

Don't bother with 1, 2, 3, or UMK3 on Genesis, they're all bad. Mortal Kombat II on Playstation and Saturn is terrible. All forms of MKT are a glitchfest, as are the ports of UMK3 on Saturn and SNES. MK1 for SNES is bad for obvious reasons. And I swear every port of Mortal Kombat decides to ax half the sounds from the arcade.

The only port that might actually be half-decent of a Mortal Kombat game is MKII for the 32x, and even that's not as good as it could be.

Stick with the arcade, don't waste your time on any of the shitty home ports really.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Wow. I struggle to imagine the original Street Fighter being any worse than it already was at the arcade. Sure, you could downgrade the graphics but how could the game play be made more horrendous than it already was? Any success with pulling off a move felt like the result of pure chance. For whatever reason, I actually like the horrible digitized voice overs. If, hypothetically, those were lost, the game would be irredeemable.

I'm going to hunt on YouTube for a video of the PC version. How could that game be even crappier than it already was?
    My friends and I were Street Fighter fiends BITD (the 6 button conversion, not the 'two huge pressure buttons' original). We didn't have much trouble with the special moves, but there were a lot of people who weren't good at the game who'd just shake the joystick and hammer away at the buttons and hope that an uppercut would happen.

Heck, I had trouble for YEARS doing non-charging special moves in Street Fighter II because I didn't realize that they weren't done like the original motions in the the first Street Fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac Man for the 2600 was a massive dissapointment. Talked my grandmother into buying it for me and was super excited to play it. It sucked.
    Last edited by stargate; 09-21-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Double Dragon for the Atari 2600, complete shit!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Though truth be told, SNK censoring the blood on Sam Sho 1 and KoF 95 on their own hardware was a huge crime.
    I think that was due to pressure from watchdog groups. Remember, Mai didn't uh, bounce either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I never knew that Double Dragon found its way to the 2600! Wow, how bizarre. I just checked it out on YouTube and it looks more like a misguided sequel to Keystone Capers than Double Dragon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    Pan Man for the 2600 was a massive dissapointment. Talked my grandmother into buying it for me and was super excited to play it. It sucked.
    Why haven't I heard of pan man? Is it a cooking game for the 2600 like Fast Food?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    My friends and I were Street Fighter fiends BITD (the 6 button conversion, not the 'two huge pressure buttons' original). We didn't have much trouble with the special moves, but there were a lot of people who weren't good at the game who'd just shake the joystick and hammer away at the buttons and hope that an uppercut would happen.

Heck, I had trouble for YEARS doing non-charging special moves in Street Fighter II because I didn't realize that they weren't done like the original motions in the the first Street Fighter.
    After Street Fighter II, I never struggled pulling off any moves in the series. Perhaps the original Street Fighter arcade game I played at the movie theater had banjaxed controls. I think the choppiness of the animation turned me off too much to really try to get a handle on the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The NES version of Paperboy is IMO, a horrendous port of the arcade version and I've always had a hard time understanding why people seem to have some type of affinity for it. I suppose nostalgia + rose tinted glasses + having never actually played the arcade version on the original arcade hardware has a lot to do with it, but seriously the NES version is just awful in comparison.
    While I don't flat out hate the NES port, I do agree that it just isn't good. It's just so alien compared to the arcade original, playable or not. It's always been passable to me as a mediocre NES game, however since the arcade original was awesome, being mediocre at home carries with it a heavier connotation to most.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    While I don't flat out hate the NES port, I do agree that it just isn't good. It's just so alien compared to the arcade original, playable or not. It's always been passable to me as a mediocre NES game, however since the arcade original was awesome, being mediocre at home carries with it a heavier connotation to most.
    Yeah, your review is right on.

I suppose at the end of the day the NES game isn't broken, but it's a pale lifeless interpretation of one of the most colorful, original and fun arcade games of that era.

Thankfully decent home versions did follow (Lynx, Genesis, PS1, 360)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Odyssey2. It has some surprisingly good arcade ports (Turtles, Q*bert and Frogger). But hands down Popeye for the O2 is one of the worst arcade-to-home conversions ever released.
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Horrible game, but a technical marvel, IMO.

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

The NES version of Alien Syndrome by Tengen never sat well with me. Pit Fighter on the SNES really takes the cake though, that's a piece of shit inside and out, upside and down. It's really hard to believe it's supposed to be a port. I have another one, actually, that most may disagree with, but I think I also have to add Double Dragon on the NES. I've played both the arcade and NES versions and the NES one simply doesn't do it for me, I liked the second much better. I do also agree with the PC port of Street Fighter, that was god-awful.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Worst arcade port to a home console

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Many classic era home ports of Outrun fall into this category. I've played some horrible renditions of Outrun over the years.
    I agree with you. Car goes all over the road. That's my main gripe with most driving games. They don't handle like they should or don't control like real cars do. Just my opinion. Or any game that makes you feel like your running in mud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

It's not the WORST arcade port ever, but I was really disappointed by the Saturn version of Groove on Fight. They tried to cram it into the 1 meg RAM cart, and it doesn't fit at ALL. They slashed the animation worse than some of the Capcom ports that didn't use any RAM expansion - enough animation is missing it feels like it hurts the gameplay. The backgrounds were cut down as much as they could manage, too. And the physics feel wrong - don't know if that's because of the animation? Either way, it's a much worse game than the arcade version because of it. And it was released just a few months before the 4 meg RAM cart came out. If they'd just waited a little bit...

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xenophobe on NES was one that really let me down, having been a big fan of the arcade game. Tiny sprites, bland visuals, few playable characters, and, most offensively, a lack of the arcade original's distinctive aiming control. As well, Altered Beast on SMS is quite the unfortunate arcade port - the severe choppiness to the game makes it feel like a joke.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of PC ports of arcade games were terrible.
    TMNT: The Arcade Game for DOS is a good example;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ngf...eature=related

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aryoshi View Post
    ... I think I also have to add Double Dragon on the NES. I've played both the arcade and NES versions and the NES one simply doesn't do it for me, I liked the second much better.
    I am so with you. I LOVED Double Dragon on the arcade and I have many cherished memories of my older cousin, Brandon, and me riding our bikes to the local Circle K to play it during the summer. The NES version, however, failed to capture anything of the original. While not a horrible game in its own right, it is a poor, poor attempt at recapturing the magic that the arcade version possessed. You're also right about the second NES one being a marked improvement on the series' NES installments. Technos eventually gave us River City Ransom so I can forgive them for this blunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Dord View Post
    Why haven't I heard of pan man? Is it a cooking game for the 2600 like Fast Food?
    He mean's Pac-Man...