Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elitedarklord12
    PSN
    Elitedarklord12

Default help with game room

hi, im new to collecting, and i really need help/ my game room , is, well my room
    and ever since i started collecting, my room has been a mess and my mom keeps yelling at me to keep it clean. any tips for storage/space saving?
    thanks in advance
    Video Games And Video Game Accessories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My best advice is to first tell your Mom that you are going to research it so she gets off your back. Then spend some serious time looking over game room pictures online. There's a lot here and some over on Racketboy as well, probably a ton elsewhere. Read through the captions people put near the pictures. You'll get a lot of ideas that you can use to tailor to your specific room and collection items.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go into superstores and look for some shelving. I just got some large shelves a few months back for $40.

My room is pretty bad itself. Despite having shelves, my room is barely big enough to hold my 600+ games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, I really dislike the cluttered "games and toys EVERYWHERE" look I've seen with some game rooms. Ditto for the "museum displays" people have going.

I've got most of my stuff either in bookcases and recently, I've picked up 4 of these Sterilite 3 drawer carts:

You can get these for under $20 a pop at Walmart. I've got all my loose SNES and N64 carts, GBA, DS, PSP, PSone, Japanese Saturn games in these - and I own quite a bit of these games too.

These carts are stackable (the wheels are optional) and I can fit 4 in one of the closets in my game room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've seen those sterilite containers for lower prices at Big Lots / Odd Lots stores, btw. I think our local Walmarts sell them for closer to $30, but we found them at Lots stores for under $20.

The containers are okay, as they are a good and cheap quick fix. I just hate how prone they are to sagging if you put anything on top of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Personally, I really dislike the cluttered "games and toys EVERYWHERE" look I've seen with some game rooms. Ditto for the "museum displays" people have going.

I've got most of my stuff either in bookcases and recently, I've picked up 4 of these Sterilite 3 drawer carts:

You can get these for under $20 a pop at Walmart. I've got all my loose SNES and N64 carts, GBA, DS, PSP, PSone, Japanese Saturn games in these - and I own quite a bit of these games too.

These carts are stackable (the wheels are optional) and I can fit 4 in one of the closets in my game room.
    I was going to suggest the same thing. It's a cheaper way of dealing with all the games and stuff. What kind of budget are you working with? How much were you willing to spend to organize everything? That might help us when we're making suggestions.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elitedarklord12
    PSN
    Elitedarklord12

about 40 dollars

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/g...2_itemId=18955

This is my first "gameroom" which, just like you, was my bedroom. I've since progressed to the 2009 set in the link in my sig but this is where I started.

The best thing is a ring of shelves around the top of the room. I would have had nowhere at all to store Genesis. I made those shelves with wood, screws and L-brackets. I don't have the best hand with crafty stuff but you can see they turned out just fine.

Wall mount anything you can. Cover any wall space with something. Closet doors have to go. HAVE TO!

I do NOT recommend stacking like I did with the NES boxes. While stuffing them with NES foam worked great in keeping them in good condition (shockingly!), today I would never do that. Genesis plastic cases - yes, but anything cardboard, no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

portnoyd you've got a lot of nice stuff but man that looks like a fire hazard!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

portnoyd, dude, that Fatal Fury Terry cap is awesome. You've got lots of great stuff in that hoard of yours (heh, it really is a fire trap), but that cap just jumped out at me. I love clever shit like that.

I like that you have several other game theme caps, as well. I collect bandanas, myself. I'm usually wearing a bandana, so I got in the habit of snagging whatever game related ones I could find (which aren't many). I remember I was going to purchase a Kojima signed one for Metal Gear 3 (or 4, I don't remember), but I decided not to because it sold for over a hundred bucks on eBay. They 'featured' the person who bought it in a caption in an EGM magazine the next month. By featured, I mean they talked about how wacky it was that someone paid that much for a bandana with a logo and a name. Anyway, sweet stuff you got there.

Back on topic...

Could you post a picture of your room/stuff nouserever so that we can have a better idea what you need to organize? Those bins could do the trick if you don't have quite that much stuff, but there may be another solution you need to explore if you have more.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 09-19-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Heh, thankfully the pics I linked in my post are about 6 years old and that room as it looks doesn't exist anymore.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I collect bananas, myself. I'm usually wearing a banana hammock, so I got in the habit of snagging whatever game related ones I could find (which aren't many). I remember I was going to purchase a Kojima signed one for Metal Gear 3 (or 4, I don't remember), but I decided not to because it sold for over a hundred bucks on eBay.
    Fixed that for you? And how is that for an image of a Kojima signed piece of swag! blarghph

For the OP, maybe you've got some space under the bed? These sterilite containers are what I use to store my NES collection in. I also have my Xbox + games in one since I only have a handful of games for that system.

There are little tab type things on the lid that dug into the games some, so I cut them off. They add a little rigidity to the lid, but I found I didn't need them for my purposes.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Walk into a big box hardware store and go the home organization section with all the shelves and closet stuff. They are constantly coming up with new stuff. Something will probably catch your eye. Your mom might be interested in buying you something if you take her too.

If console storage is a problem, I have a video link in the signature section below that shows my setup. I keep all my consoles hooked up to the TV, but have found ways to keep controller cords tucked and wires under control. There's also the Collection's Gallery section over on the left side of this page where you can borrow ideas from other Digital Press gamers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Fixed that for you? And how is that for an image of a Kojima signed piece of swag! blarghph
    Ha! Fixed. I don't know what I'm thinking/typing sometimes.

Oh, and under bed storage is a fantastic option. Good call.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Another efficient method I've seen people use is one of those shoe holders that hangs on the back of the door stuffed with controllers and the like.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Another efficient method I've seen people use is one of those shoe holders that hangs on the back of the door stuffed with controllers and the like.
    Essential tip.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elitedarklord12
    PSN
    Elitedarklord12

thanks everyone for the tips!

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have one of those shoe caddies, but I don't have those hooks that hold it to a door.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I have one of those shoe caddies, but I don't have those hooks that hold it to a door.
    That is really cool.

If you don't mind only displaying half of your collection, shelves that are deep enough to hold 2 games are huge space savers. The shelves I use can hold 2 rows of PS2 shaped cases. Very tall too. Got them at Walmart maybe 4 years ago. 30-40 bucks a shot and can hold around 500+ games.