Thread: Ghosts 'n Goblins Fruit Bowl My Girlfriend Painted

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Ghosts 'n Goblins Fruit Bowl My Girlfriend Painted

My girlfriend had been working on a special ceramics project for a long time and picked up the finished piece today. She paints ceramics occasionally and awhile back we were looking at the different pieces offered for painting and saw a large fruit bowl with relatively flat sides and plenty of surface area. I got the idea to section the bowl off into the six individual areas of Ghosts 'n Goblins and put Astaroth and Prin Prin in the center as essentially the final objective. Each section would show Arthur engaged in his quest relative to an actual scene in the game. She did some concept drawings, including one that would more or less end up being the portrait of Astaroth, and we headed out to get started.

I hung out in the ceramics lounge with her while she sketched out the characters and scenes. After that first session she worked on the bowl over the course of many months, going to work on it for a few hours every week or so when time would allow. Sometimes weeks back to back, occasionally with almost an entire month in between sessions.

While we printed screen captures I made for her to work off of, everything was done freehand. Tonight we picked up the bowl as glazing and firing was complete. It turned out AWESOME.

Keep in mind it's a very large piece, about a foot and a half across at the top rim, and due to it being super glossy there's a lot of reflection in the pictures.

Over all picture of the inside of the bowl, with the first area up top, working around clockwise....

Another shot of the same at a different angle to change up the glare...

The underside of the bowl, showing the start of the story as Satan steals away Princess Prin Prin. We decided to use the little wisp guys to fill out one third as they weren't going to be used anywhere else and fit the intro / first stage. The mountains and castle are based on the background of the opening scene...

Levels 1, 2 and 3...

Levels 4, 5 and 6...

Astaroth and Prin Prin in the center...

The three sections of the outside area that go around the bowl, crazy glare in these pictures due to the black...

I can't express how happy I am that this turned out so well. She really did an incredible job on it and put in far more hours than I can comprehend. Makes completing the game seem easy in comparison.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-29-2011 at 12:11 AM.