Thread: Xbox Live Starter Kit Questions

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox Live Starter Kit Questions

Yesterday while out shopping I ran across an old Xbox live starter kit for the original Xbox. This particular kit includes a 1 year subscription, headset and Crimson Skies. It is still sealed and in pristine condition, and I paid $6.99 for it. I'm weighing my options for what to do with this. Keep in mind, my Xbox live gold account expired earlier this year, and I've been sort of keeping my eyes open for a good deal for a renewal, but at the same time I have a three month card that I still haven't found the need to use yet. So, I have a few questions:

-Is the live code still valid? I've been researching it a bit and all indications seem to point to it still working, but I'd hate to open this up and have the live code be invalid.

-Is there any collector value to keeping this sealed? I found an ebay seller that has a few of these and is trying to get $70 apiece. Prices for this bundle on amazon appear high as well.

-In light of those questions - what would you do? Open the package and potentially get a year of Live for 7 bucks (but with a chance it won't work), or keep it sealed and hold on to it for future collector value, or sell it now given current asking prices?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Why not call MS and ask if it works? They can give you the straight dope on it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scrimble
    PSN
    Scrimble

I found the same bundle at an FYE for around the same price and the 12 month worked on 360.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    Yesterday while out shopping I ran across an old Xbox live starter kit for the original Xbox. This particular kit includes a 1 year subscription, headset and Crimson Skies. It is still sealed and in pristine condition, and I paid $6.99 for it. I'm weighing my options for what to do with this. Keep in mind, my Xbox live gold account expired earlier this year, and I've been sort of keeping my eyes open for a good deal for a renewal, but at the same time I have a three month card that I still haven't found the need to use yet. So, I have a few questions:

-Is the live code still valid? I've been researching it a bit and all indications seem to point to it still working, but I'd hate to open this up and have the live code be invalid.

-Is there any collector value to keeping this sealed? I found an ebay seller that has a few of these and is trying to get $70 apiece. Prices for this bundle on amazon appear high as well.

-In light of those questions - what would you do? Open the package and potentially get a year of Live for 7 bucks (but with a chance it won't work), or keep it sealed and hold on to it for future collector value, or sell it now given current asking prices?
    I doubt you will get anywhere near what those people are asking. Kmart had a bunch of these a year or two ago for clearance prices and I know the codes still worked then. It's actual value is probably roughly the same as a year of XBL which given the regular discounts, etc...is about $40-$50.