Thread: So, I just came up with a new NES mod...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So, I just came up with a new NES mod...

I got kinda excited when I thought of it and started tinkering with it, and confirmed today that my main concern should not be a concern at all. I have just ONE more concern but I need to build it to find out if it will be a problem.
    Maybe it's been done before but... a quick google search produced no results.

^_^

it's all in my head right now though... I should have time to mess with it next weekend, maybe a little bit in between.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the mod?...
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't leave us hanging!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is an actual toaster mod isn't it? It toasts various "toast burns" of characters into your daily breakfast.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a top loader mod that

1. preserves the original look of the NES
    2. has correct pin pitch. No rare or valuable devices(real top loaders) were hurt in this process :P
    3. I forgot what my 3 was XD. the 2 big things are that the toaster will preserve the look of the NES and it will have correct pin pitch. The pin spacing is what I confirmed last night. The game will load through the original card slot. It's not ideal but I figure it is less tacky than cutting a hole in the top of the NES.

I'll have to rework the door so it will open and shut nicely, which I'm not sure how to do just yet but I'm sure it can be done.

the idea is to get a top-loader with a minimal amount of money and effort that still looks clean when not in use. I'm going to have to bend/break a few best practice rules but in the end I think it will still be pretty nice.

Also, thinking about this has given me other ideas. I very much like the idea of preserving the original look and feel of the NES(or at least the flow) so that the results are better than the old in most every way.
    Last edited by nonameo; 10-03-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Neat, another pitch for a product for people to buy.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Neat, another pitch for a product for people to buy.
    Heh, I don't think this is really something you'd want to sell. The plan re-uses the old connector, but instead you're putting the game in the LIF end of the 72 pin connector. The old end that is normally used is lobbed off and the contact leads are soldered directly onto the card edge. Yes, I know it would be better to use wire instead so that there is some flexibility, and I may still do that...

the board has to be flipped and the expansion connector has to be removed. The RF box will have to be removed and re-mounted, too. Parts from the old slot can be re-used for spacing and to guide the game into the connector correctly.

So yes, now go ahead and crap now because you think this is a poor way to go about this. It's not an experiment in making a production quality piece. It's an experiment in making do with what I have. WHY? because... that's what I have! If you wanted something to sell, there are much better places to put your efforts than here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's wrong with using one of the new 72 pin replacement connectors available everywhere?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like the long way home to me honestly. You can get a similar solution from two connectors cannibalized from Game Genies and a bit of ribbon cable, and that homespun connector is swap-able between toaster systems with no further mods required besides building the edge-con/cable once.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

What I crapped on was making a topic with "ZOMG hey guys I have a cool idea but I'm not going to tell you anything about it in this first post. Have fun waiting. KTHNXBAI!"

Which looked like an attempt at garnering interest for a new product. Low production quality be damned, annoying posts are just that.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?