Thread: [HELP WANTED] Video Game Trader Magazine

Cherry (Level 1) videogametrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default [HELP WANTED] Video Game Trader Magazine

Hello Everyone,

This has been a rough year for Video Game Trader. After swearing that I would never miss publishing an issue, I missed an entire year. NOT ACCEPTABLE! But…

… We're back! The next issue is already at most subscribers. It's a bit smaller this time around (40 pages) and only has a few articles. But it was, admittedly, rushed to press. The next issue should be our normal 48 pager.

At this time I would like to let you know where the magazine is heading and what opportunities you will have as a writer/contributor to the magazine.

First of all, if you are simply happy submitting an article to the magazine just for the fun of it, that option will always be available. And I appreciate it. Just forward your submission to us.

I am, however, looking for two (2) individuals who would like to put more time into helping the magazine and website grow, and make a little money in the process.

Here is what I envision, and I am always looking for suggestions. These two individuals would be responsible for the following:

1) Posting 7 articles per week (no more than 2 per day) to the vgtradermag.com web site. Each article should be at least 600 words and can cover a range of topics concerning classic and modern video gaming. You must be familiar, or willing to self-teach yourself, WordPress.

2) Submit 1 feature article for publication to Video Game Trader Magazine. This should be 2-4 pages in length.

3) Publicize both 1) and 2) via social networking sites and internet forums you are a member of. Example: FaceBook, Twitter, Atari Age, Digital Press, etc.

The idea is to drive lots of traffic to vgrtradermag.com and videogametrader.com.

Compensation would be as follows: An agreed upon per blog post fee with a minimum monthly fee of at least $100. That is a minimum of about $3-$4 per post. The per blog post fee and the minimum monthly fee will be negotiated based upon the following criteria: Experience Blogging, Number of forums you are currently an "active" member of ("active" meaning you already regularly post and are known on the forums), number of Facebook friends, number of twitter followers, etc.

You will also be provided your own Google Adsense HTML code to insert into posts so I can track the amount of traffic to your posts and the ad revenue. An additional part of your compensation will be based upon the ad revenue. The percentage you receive is negotiable depending upon the amount of traffic and ad revenue that is received. Ad revenue income is in addition to the per blog fee you will receive.

If you are interested in this, please contact me ASAP, as I would like to get started right away. Please include the following:

* Your Full Legal Name
    * Your Phone Number
    * Your mailing address
    * Your birthdate
    * Any social networking IDs or Handles so that we can find you and verify your posts.
    * Links to up-to 3 sample writings

You'll retain copyright to any material you produce for us. In return, we obtain an exclusive, perpetual license to any material you produce for us. We retain this license in order to control reprints, so the articles you produce for us aren't competing against other copies of the same article on other sites.

Thanks,

Tom Sansone
    TRS Game Trader Inc.
    www.videogametrader.com
    www.vgtradermag.com

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by videogametrader View Post
    You'll retain copyright to any material you produce for us. In return, we obtain an exclusive, perpetual license to any material you produce for us. We retain this license in order to control reprints, so the articles you produce for us aren't competing against other copies of the same article on other sites.
    Lol wut?
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

While your offer is nice, some of the stipulations come off very constricting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    While your offer is nice, some of the stipulations come off very constricting.
    There seems to be some confusion regarding the "Perpetual License". Basically you remain the copyright holder of the articles be we retain the rights to use them. This is to prevent them appearing on other sites or in other publications. If we ever stop publishing and the website ceases then you will retain the rights to do whatever you want with the articles.

I may consider alternate arrangements on a case by case basis.
    ========================
    Video Game Trader Magazine & Price Guide. Keeping classic video games... alive!

Subscribe for 4 quarterly issues only $29.99. Subscribe @ www.VGTraderMag.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would love to see "your greatest finds in the wild" type section in the magazine as a on going feature. Every issue, you could have a reader tell about his "greatest find" and show a picture or two.

Those types of finds, keep me going to the local flea markets. Just one major score can keep you hooked for a long time. The hunt is on!!!

BTW, congrats on getting back on track!!! I love getting your magazine!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I would love to see "your greatest finds in the wild" type section in the magazine as a on going feature. Every issue, you could have a reader tell about his "greatest find" and show a picture or two.

Those types of finds, keep me going to the local flea markets. Just one major score can keep you hooked for a long time. The hunt is on!!!

BTW, congrats on getting back on track!!! I love getting your magazine!!!!
    That would be a great feature. If anyone has a good story to share, please PM me the story.

Thanks!
    ========================

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There seems to be some confusion regarding the "Perpetual License". Basically you remain the copyright holder of the articles be we retain the rights to use them. This is to prevent them appearing on other sites or in other publications. If we ever stop publishing and the website ceases then you will retain the rights to do whatever you want with the articles.

I may consider alternate arrangements on a case by case basis.
    File this under "You're doing it wrong." Stop worrying about exclusivity and start getting quality articles in your mag. Who cares if they are on the Internet somewhere else? If they are awesome articles, people will read them.
    #vbender

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That would be a great feature. If anyone has a good story to share, please PM me the story.

Thanks!
    Just sent you a pm about one of the greatest finds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    File this under "You're doing it wrong." Stop worrying about exclusivity and start getting quality articles in your mag. Who cares if they are on the Internet somewhere else? If they are awesome articles, people will read them.
    I would agree with your for general submissions to the magazine from volunteers. But if I am going to start and pay for articles or blogs then they should be unique to the magazine/site.
    ========================

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would agree with your for general submissions to the magazine from volunteers. But if I am going to start and pay for articles or blogs then they should be unique to the magazine/site.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If you were a major publication or a major website I would get it. Or maybe if you had a 6 month clause that gained exclusivity until that 6 months are up. But basically what you are saying, is as long as you own one of those domain names, that Intellectual Property is yours and that person cannot reuse it anywhere else. Ever. Period. if you publish the issue or you don't, you still own that property. Hell, you could collect retro game articles and sit on them for years without publishing. In this stage of the game, being a year out with no issue, I can't see why you can think making these exclusive perpetual agreements is a good idea and would attract awesome article writers.

You need great articles. That's what makes people read magazines. Volunteers do good articles. Pay for great articles. Don't pay for infinite exclusivity. I wish you luck.
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

What do the copyrights matter if I can't ever copy them elsewhere, ever? I'm not sure if you're trying to give something back (which you're not really doing) or don't understand what you're putting people into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If you were a major publication or a major website I would get it. Or maybe if you had a 6 month clause that gained exclusivity until that 6 months are up. But basically what you are saying, is as long as you own one of those domain names, that Intellectual Property is yours and that person cannot reuse it anywhere else. Ever. Period. if you publish the issue or you don't, you still own that property. Hell, you could collect retro game articles and sit on them for years without publishing. In this stage of the game, being a year out with no issue, I can't see why you can think making these exclusive perpetual agreements is a good idea and would attract awesome article writers.

You need great articles. That's what makes people read magazines. Volunteers do good articles. Pay for great articles. Don't pay for infinite exclusivity. I wish you luck.
    You have a valid point. I would be willing to amend the agreement to something like: Unless we publish the article within 1 year all rights revert back to owner, and once we publish we have a 2 year exclusivity for the article. I'll have to think about the actually time frames a bit more.

Thanks for your feedback.
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those that don't want to invest the time and energy for consistant posting, we just rolled out an alternative that will pay you in gift cards instead of cash for posting to vgtradermag.com. You can post 1 or 100 posts. For information check out this link.
    ========================