Thread: Rob's Weekend Find -7/20

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Rob's Weekend Find -7/20

So this friend tells me 2 weeks ago about this store in the most hidden corner of a tiny New Hampshire town where I live. He said, "It's weird, you go down this dirt road behind a church and you'll see this beat up old house and a big metal builiding. He sells really old can's of paint and a lot of really random crap. He has shades of paint you can't find anywhere. You'd never know it was a store unless you KNEW it was a store..I mean, you'd have to just know before hand....there's no sign and it's never open. But, if you walk up to the house and ask, he'll open the store for you."

"Yeah, so?" I said

"Well I remember years ago he had these old Emerson videogame systems he was selling for like, $40."

"What, Emerson Arcadia?" I asked

"Yeah, that's it. I always tried to talk him down to like, $5 a piece for them, but he'd never budge. I was like 'Come on, Roy, just sell them. You've had 'em for 20 years.' He always told me that 'someone will buy them eventually.' I said, 'Yeah, but Roy, you're like 70 years old! And put up a sign or something. Your location is horrible. How do sell anything?' He said, 'I like to keep a low profile.'"

Well, folks, I half didn't believe my friend because half of what he says is bullshit. Today I found this hole in the wall he was talking about..It really was in th emiddle of fucking nowhere. I asked the owner, "Um....I'm looking for a store around here." He said, "You found it" and point to this shithole of a metal building. Surprised, I said, "A friend of mine said you might have some old videogame systems hanging around in your store." He was kind of ignoring me, watching a race on TV." He kind of seemed like he didn't care that I wanted to buy something from him. He said, "Oh, I don't know.....I'm not sure, I don't remember........<long pause>...........oh, old kids games, right?" I said, "Uh, yeah. I, uh, wouldn't mind buying them from you if you have em hanging around." He said, "Well, I'm kinda busy watching this race."

Then there was one of those uncomfortable silences. I mean, what the fuck do you say to that? Then a commercial came on. "Oh, a commercial!" he said.

So we wander into this store that I'm pretty sure was lit purely by one bulb (and it was a big place) and any ambient sunlight...jeez, I don't think there were any windows besides the door we came in. The place was in ruins. Boxes were piled everyewhere, Shit was strewn all about. Just masses of junk and stuff to sell was everywhere. Very random. Oh, and paint too. There was indeed paint.

So he leads me down some twisty aisles and there on the shelf were three brand new, never used Emerson Arcadia 2001 units. Still in their boxes. The boxes were all scuffed but in pretty darn good condition. One was actually torn on one corner with about 2 inches of a flap missing, but no biggie. All was intact. He had no games.

" So, uh, how much did you want for these?"

He answered, " Oh, jeez, I don't know, 10 bucks a piece?"

I said, "Yeah, Ok. That would be good....I could always use the spare parts."

I handed him $30. He was surprised...he though I gave him too much. He said, "Oh, you want all 3!"

Well anyway, that was my killer find for this weekend.

Hey, how much are these babies worth anyway? I'm quite positive I've never seen any brand new ones before, ever. Would be glad for some help on this. Thanks for reading!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbudrick For This Useful Post:

goldenband (09-07-2018), Slate (06-02-2022)

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Oh Man That's Sweet,,A great find indeed,

I love reading the stories behind the finds..and yours was awesome..

I'm not sure on the value..but if you decide to list any of these on Ebay..please send me the link........

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Living in New Hampshire, I must immediatly ask where this store is so that I may peruse it

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

50 bucks a peice boxes probably
    I AM THE PWNER OF ALL THAT PWNS

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Oh Man That's Sweet,,A great find indeed,

I love reading the stories behind the finds..and yours was awesome..

I'm not sure on the value..but if you decide to list any of these on Ebay..please send me the link........
    Thanks, Videogamerdaryll! I know, it's such a weird story, I had to share...perfect LORE! material for the guide, imho. Oh, and I will post on the Buy and Sell forum before I post to Ebay. Ebay is a pain sometimes, and I'd rather give you folks the chance first.

Oh, and AdamG, if you go down route 13 towards New Boston (go up the big hill into Mont Vernon and stay on Route 13). About maybe 5-7 miles after the top of Mont Vernon Hill you will see a couple of Log Cabins on the left. Just after that you will see a church on the left. Pull down that road on your left and behind the church is a dirt road. Take that road and look on the left. After like 3 seconds you will see it. Unless you want paint though, don't bother...he had no gaming stuff left....it truly was a fluke.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!