Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever overcome a serious glitch in a game and push through despite it?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Default Ever overcome a serious glitch in a game and push through despite it?

I was thinking about this the other day when I remembered how in Condemned: Criminal Origins I somehow got to the final boss with a weapon, died and it got stuck in the floor. This also prevented me from being able to pick up any weapons so what do I do? Rather than restart (since it auto saved right after the glitch, and I had no intention to try and go back through the last level; no going back) I decide to do the only reasonable thing and kick the boss to death. Over the course of numerous trial and error runs I finally succeeded in kicking his ass (quite literally).

I'm sure there are tons of them out there but what glitches have you all overcome and actually completed a game while dealing with them rather than either finding a way to go around them or just giving up entirely?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat Megaman 4 with the graphics completely glitching out by the last Wily levelt. That was a proud moment.

Otherwise, I think I've had more game-stopping bugs than consistent bugs I was able to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I remember this kinda thing happening in the NES days. We were playing through a marathon session of Gauntlet and someone stomped the floor near the NES and the game glitched but kept going. We played through about a dozen levels with glitched graphics and then hit a point where we really couldn't find the exit... and as a group we decided to try to wiggle the cart and not make the game reset. We had 4 players swapping out between levels.

A slight nudge restored the graphics and we cheered, finished the level - and then the game locked.

Screw you Gauntlet.

Screw you.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

On L4D1, I got knocked out a window by a boomer exploding, and landed on a ledge where you can't be. I played for another 20 minutes or so, killing confused infected, until a smoker pulled me down. I died sonn as I hit the ground. Ugh, I love to hate that game. If there was an achievement for killing bots outta frustration...

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Do you consider playing through the Siege of the Hover Dam in New Vegas again and again and again for hours because of freezing glitches applicable? That game seriously seemed to be just breaking down the closer I got to the ending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

I've definitely come across a bunch of games like this... wish I could think of good examples.

Black Sigil's the one I thought of right away. I liked the game, but it was pretty buggy. It didn't get gamebreaking until the part late in the game where you return to the castle from the very beginning of the game. For some reason, the first time I returned, the game reset one of the quest flags from the very beginning of the game and blocked off the exit with an invisible character directing me to talk to someone. Since the person to talk to was no longer around, it was impossible to fix. And since I saved over my game while I was inside before I noticed the bug...

Thank god I had a savegame from 2 hours earlier kicking around, because otherwise I would have had to restart the whole game - 35+ hours in.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ishashobar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Several 3d Sonic games. Does Sega have any QA?

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i beat advent rising on the original xbox so uh....yea, since that entire game was basically one BIG glitch...i think it qualifies

lol there was a even a glitch that prevents a boss from appearing and thus the game cannot continue...and yet...I CONTINUED!
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 10-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

Lufia II for the SNES. For whatever reason my cart had glitched graphics in one dungeon, no matter what I did when I loaded. I finally made it through by sheer trial and error, and the game was fine once I passed that level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not exactly a glitch, but I've dealt with some really horrendous autosaves, like having no shield and one health point in the middle of a firefight in Halo.
    The autosave overwrites all older saves, so rather than restarting the level, I kept dieing a fraction of a second into the restart until I found the right direction and jump timing to escape.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    Lufia II for the SNES. For whatever reason my cart had glitched graphics in one dungeon, no matter what I did when I loaded. I finally made it through by sheer trial and error, and the game was fine once I passed that level.
    Hah, I forgot about that. It's not just your cart, EVERY US version of the game is like that. I hear the bottom of the Ancient Cave is like that too. I remember calling Nintendo back then about it, and the guy didn't know what to make of it. He thought my game was defective or something, haha. I ended up doing just what you did. Thankfully it's a small, straightforward area, with no battles or puzzles. There are a lot of glitchy things about Natsume's localization of the game, but that's definitely the worst. But it's such a fantastic RPG that it's worth putting up with that stuff.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Not exactly a glitch, but I've dealt with some really horrendous autosaves, like having no shield and one health point in the middle of a firefight in Halo.
    The autosave overwrites all older saves, so rather than restarting the level, I kept dieing a fraction of a second into the restart until I found the right direction and jump timing to escape.

THIS.

Similar for me. I've gotten stuck in CoD3 on Veteran, because I've got to get back inside a building while dodging Germans w/ machine guns that have the power and range of a 50Cal, only to have to hold out, then take out 3 Tiger Tanks. It's just stupid hard, as none of the tank takeouts save anything. It's get em all, or die, to redo another 10 minutes over and over and over.... Probably done it 100 times by now.

I had gotten stuck w/ a bad save at Chernobyl in CoD4 on Hardened as well. Took me a LONG time to figure out what I needed to do to survive that final onslaught. I had an easier time w/ Veteran. In fact Veteran was easier than Hardened.

I've had numerous achievements glitch, that have required replays, save wipes and the like, which are closer to what the OP is askin for over the really bad auto-saves.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 10-12-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I hit every glitch imaginable in Shadow of the Colossus back when it came out on the PS2. The one that really stuck with me the fight with the final Colossi, I had a hell of a time climbing up, either the Wander wouldn't climb up properly, or he would not grab anything, at one point I literally fell right through the Colossi and to my untimely death. I eventually beat him tho, but it left me on a bitter note with the game for years.

I also played through all of Damnation, which was just a mess of a game with glitches at almost every corner.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Agreed that seems to happen to me quite a bit. The most aggrivating time that comes to mind was in the original Red Faction where I was just outside of the door to the boss battle with Capek and had like 25 health with no chance of finding more. I never did actually finish that game because I couldn't ever get past that part.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Do you consider playing through the Siege of the Hover Dam in New Vegas again and again and again for hours because of freezing glitches applicable? That game seriously seemed to be just breaking down the closer I got to the ending.
    Yeah I had a similar problem. I was doing the Legion's final mission and I couldn't get the final guy to appear even though I killed everyone. I tried going back to an old save and trying again, but still nothing so I ended up talking himself into killing himself instead of initiating the final battle.

Back in the day I had a copy of Archon that had corrupted graphics for some of the sprites. It still worked, but you couldn't tell what the character was. I beat the game several times anyway.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I played though New Vegas a second time and just blew through the main story. I get to the Legion camp and face Lanius. He kills me easily since I'm underpowered. I reload and go fight him again. He somehow dropped into the ground and only the top of his head was visible. He couldn't move, he was just stuck there and none of my weapons could touch him. Reload the game again, and again he's glitched. This time he's invisible. Well, I THOUGHT he was invisible but I look up and there he is, waaaaay up frozen in the sky. Any time I went "under" him he'd attack me. I tried lobbing grenades and using a sniper rifle but every time I got close to killing him some other Legionnaires would come out of the blue and kill me. I kept reloading but each time he became glitchier and glitchier. I finally gave it up when he turned into something straight out of Silent Hill, still just floating up there in the sky.

That would've been the easiest boss fight ever if I wasn't so underpowered. Wish I had a camera at the time.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think this is called "Playing New Vegas." Right now, for example, every time I turn around and look at Lily she's splayed in a weird posture on the ground and kind of in the ground, then she pops back up. And I just got her weapon to stop floating several feet away from her.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say for me that tolerating playing through Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 on the PS3 counts. I just learn to deal with the glitchy physics in order to complete levels. I had to retry several times on Crisis City due to the fact that if I didn't hold the left analog stick in a certain direction while going off of one of the loops in the level, Sonic would fall to his death EVERY TIME.

Despite the rushed nature of the game the levels themselves aren't too bad. If you can learn how to overcome the glitches then Sonic 2006 isn't that bad. By far not the worst Sonic game ever (that goes to either Sonic Labyrinth on the Game Gear or Shadow the Hedgehog).

Another game that I have pushed through despite a serious glitch would have to be WWF No Mercy on the Nintendo 64. The first print-run of the cartridges had a nasty bug where the game would randomly wipe out ALL of your save data at any point when starting it up. Created Wrestlers, Story Mode saves, unlocked stuff, etc. Well, I happen to have the glitchy cartridge. I've been through multiple save file resets and still play the game because it is so awesome despite this. Good thing I have a Gameshark that can unlock everything just in case it happens again.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Hah, I forgot about that. It's not just your cart, EVERY US version of the game is like that. I hear the bottom of the Ancient Cave is like that too. I remember calling Nintendo back then about it, and the guy didn't know what to make of it. He thought my game was defective or something, haha. I ended up doing just what you did. Thankfully it's a small, straightforward area, with no battles or puzzles. There are a lot of glitchy things about Natsume's localization of the game, but that's definitely the worst. But it's such a fantastic RPG that it's worth putting up with that stuff.
    Well at least I am glad to hear that it isn't just my cart. I agree with you about the game, it really is a great RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

The Matrix for the first xbox had a ton of issues, but i loved the Matrix movies and had to see it to the end of the game.