Thread: Name a system you have no desire to play again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the Atari Jaguar was utter garbarge back in the 90's, though a friend who owned one tried his best to convince me otherwise.

I still think the Jaguar is a turd of a console.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I don't know that I would never play it again but the N64 comes close here.

I don't like the controller and I find the visual style of the N64 to be unappealing. Although I know its a technically more advanced system then the Saturn or PS1 I actually prefer the 3D that those systems put out. I always felt like N64 games just looked bad and felt like the majority of them ran at significantly low frame rates, or at least the games I've been exposed to.

Although their are certainly a lot of systems I have no interest in spending money to pick up or acquire a library of games, I can't think of any I outright would never play given the opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I struggle with early polygons and such too, but it's not enough to make me fully disregard anything. I can't really enjoy first and second generation consoles because of the limitations personally but I didn't want to disregard entire generations.

I'd love to see more games get the remakes similar to the current HD remakes or Resident Evil Remake. A lot of the fifth generation games did not age well graphically. Trying to play the first Silent Hill game almost hurts my eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    I still think the Jaguar is a turd of a console.
    A steaming turd.

What really killed the possibility of any affections I might have had developing for that system was the wretched animation of the soldiers in Aliens Vs. Predator. 64-bits and that was the best that it could do?? I swear, man, it was like two frames of animation for a soldier walking. I returned the game and I don't think I ever bought another Jaguar game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    A steaming turd.

What really killed the possibility of any affections I might have had developing for that system was the wretched animation of the soldiers in Aliens Vs. Predator. 64-bits and that was the best that it could do?? I swear, man, it was like two frames of animation for a soldier walking. I returned the game and I don't think I ever bought another Jaguar game.
    A low opinion of the Jaguar is one thing, but just so we're clear, the poor animation you speak of in AVP isn't the fault of the console. It's not like the Jaguar itself is cleaving out frames of animation or something, they just weren't there to begin with. It's not hard to find games that are visually underwhelming for "64-bits" in the Jaguar library but it's definitely a case of developers being without the time or proper resources to really take advantage of the hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CDI

I played this over at a friend's house, and despite the fun I had with Twisted, I really didn't care much for the system, and I don't feel like I am missing out by not playing it.

Kinda shocked by all the dislike on the Atari consoles. But hey that's openion's for you. Everyone has one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really can't think of a single system I've played that I just don't ever want to play again. There is a game on every one of them that I like.

However, now that I've repurchased a couple N64 games on my Wii, I don't ever need to play the system again to enjoy those select titles. So N64. It remains the one system I dumped along with all the games.

(obviously I did regret selling a few of them)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    A low opinion of the Jaguar is one thing, but just so we're clear, the poor animation you speak of in AVP isn't the fault of the console. It's not like the Jaguar itself is cleaving out frames of animation or something, they just weren't there to begin with. It's not hard to find games that are visually underwhelming for "64-bits" in the Jaguar library but it's definitely a case of developers being without the time or proper resources to really take advantage of the hardware.
    We are clear. I understand that a system, regardless of how powerful it is, cannot magically transform the crap work of programmers into something worthwhile that fully showcases what a system can do. (Not entirely sure if I knew that as a kid, though.) Sadly, as powerful or unpowerful as its 64-bits were, the Jaguar was evidently not a magical system.

Also, I remember the programmers of Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar were too lazy to program the corpse of a character to lie on the ground in such a way that it didn't rotate as you moved around it so that it was always "facing" you. I was hoping that the Jaguar was going to take me to new heights of realism, so I was infuriated when its first-person games lacked any credible realism. The Jaguar was supposed to be the system that brought us virtual reality, if you recall. Of course, that plan was scrapped.

http://jagcube.atari.org/jaguarvr.html

Once again... steaming.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Talking

I was hoping that the Jaguar was going to take me to new heights of realism, so I was infuriated when its first-person games lacked any credible realism. The Jaguar was supposed to be the system that brought us virtual reality, if you recall.
    Ahahahaha! Ah, *gasp* Ah, *gasp* Aaaahahahaha! Wow! What were you thinking?!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some systems that are unimpressive enough to be dismissed in terms of both hardware and software. Then there are others that have severe hardware issues, but have gameplay potential that would get truncated off my want list. I do know for a fact one possible incorrect answer to this question is Dreamcast.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't hate on any system, but there are a ton that I can see myself never playing again.

Playstation 1 and 2, the Original Xbox, Game Gear, Anything pre NES, maybe even the NES itself, the Master System, The original Gameboy.

Not that they are bad systems, I just see me picking up other games and systems well before them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Ahahahaha! Ah, *gasp* Ah, *gasp* Aaaahahahaha! Wow! What were you thinking?!
    I had and still have a soft spot for ol' Atari. My hopes were that they would return to the world of video games and regain something of their former glory. It just seemed like it should happen- like it was written in the stars. *sigh*

On a less romantic reasoning, my reasoning was that the 16-bit Super Nintendo looked great and was easily twice as good as its 8-bit predecessor, the NES, so how could the 64-bit Jaguar not be four times as kick ass as the SNES? Also, as a kid when I saw that photos of Atari's virtual reality goggle for the Jaguar in a video games magazine, I thought the future had arrived. Clearly it hadn't.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We are clear. I understand that a system, regardless of how powerful it is, cannot magically transform the crap work of programmers into something worthwhile that fully showcases what a system can do. (Not entirely sure if I knew that as a kid, though.) Sadly, as powerful or unpowerful as its 64-bits were, the Jaguar was evidently not a magical system.

Also, I remember the programmers of Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar were too lazy to program the corpse of a character to lie on the ground in such a way that it didn't rotate as you moved around it so that it was always "facing" you. I was hoping that the Jaguar was going to take me to new heights of realism, so I was infuriated when its first-person games lacked any credible realism. The Jaguar was supposed to be the system that brought us virtual reality, if you recall. Of course, that plan was scrapped.

http://jagcube.atari.org/jaguarvr.html

Once again... steaming.
    Your post highlights arguably the most serious problem with the Jaguar and that is the game library's failure to live up to the expectations created by the marketing that accompanied the console. The ads for the Jaguar made it out to be fuckin' awesome and the multitude of (vapourware) games mentioned in some of those ads painted the Jaguar library to be something it was not. Personally, I don't often get the urge to fire up my Jaguar but there are games that I definitely go back to when I do, and that's as someone who was initially disappointed by the thing. This whole thread is kind of ridiculous because there has to be at least one game on a given console that would deserve your play, or at least your curiousity.

That Jaguar VR helmet is, so I have read, supposed to be pretty sweet if you're playing Missile Command 3D with it but the hardware was never really finalized, it wasn't used as a selling feature of the Jaguar and thusly it can't really be judged like a regular peripheral. Also, corpses face you in every FPS that I can think of that uses scaling sprites for enemies.