Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why don't you have more games?

Doing this as a poll on my site since I'm wondering what the percentages are on the big reasons (space, spouse, $$$, etc). Please click your reasons on my blog/poll at...

http://mamezach.blogspot.com/

Also, if you wish, describe the details here on the thread. The poll is good because of the numbers it draws to collect the data. My last poll (consoles you owned) got a smattering of anecdotal answers on the thread, but over 220 answers to the poll on the blog. Starting to collect a nice amount of interesting data.

Also have added a new Arcade game wars....Galaga won the last one over Tempest, T&F and Centipede.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mostly lack of $$$ Castlevania moneybags. Secondly, lack of space. Seriously though, its like 85% the former over 15% the latter

I could make space..

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Running out of space, broke, can't find the games I really want in the wild or for the price I'm willing to pay for them, lost my passion for collecting a little...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Mainly money issues I suppose. More specifically, I'm cheap, and a lot of the games that I'm interested in that don't already own go for more than I'm willing to pay. I never purchase new releases until they under 30 bucks (and I'll still only purchase it on sale), unless it's an offline coop game that the wife wants to play. I also don't pay the ridiculously high prices that rare classic games demand. I always hold out for a deal.

The other reason is that there are a lot of games I'd like that I just don't see for sale. Games that I won't actively hunt down, but would purchase if I happen to see them for a decent price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely not enough money, also kind of a lack of focus of what consoles I want to focus on at the moment.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Because I have self-control? Haha. I never think "Oh, I wish I had more games." I already have tons, more than I can play. I like buying games and will continue to do so, but I have no desire to buy them by the boatload. I just casually buy what I want, when I want, and when I'm happy with the deal I'm getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The local cost of cable internet. I tried the local DSL, but the only thing that made it different from dial-up was the missing "Beep-Boop-Boop, Buzz, Boing-boing."

On the other hand, I'm still picking up a few games here and there.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't find anything I want anymore.

I buy 99% of my items locally. Every physical game I've found has been obtained from a game store, electronics store, pawn shop, thrift store, or special sale, with the sole exception of Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for Gamecube. That said, I have many of the common games I want. I've been looking, and waiting to find something good which I don't yet own. Good, more uncommon games do appear from time to time, but I've probably only spent around $100 on console games this year.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Like Frankie and Cornelius, I think I do have more games. Ask again tomorrow, and it'll be even MORE more games. I guess the only reason I don't have even more is because I sell everything extra and some consoles I don't really collect for, so those games go away too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Lack of motivation and changes in direction I want my life to go. I think I've got too many games already with almost 2900. Trying to downsize to what I honestly want and get rid of all the stuff that means nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mebinici
    PSN
    mebinici

Money and space is probably the biggest issue for me.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I hardly have time to play the ones I already have so partly time but free funds is a close second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

because I already have everything I want in this hobby, for the most part.

happy, glad and way content to be 'retired' from the 'rat race' so to speak. I used to worry and wake up early on Saturday mornings to rummage flea markets, scour eBay and craigslist. While there was a definite 'high' to those days, I don't really miss 'em either

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    happy, glad and way content to be 'retired' from the 'rat race' so to speak. I used to worry and wake up early on Saturday mornings to rummage flea markets, scour eBay and craigslist. While there was a definite 'high' to those days, I don't really miss 'em either ;)
    "Rat race"? LOL, damn, I can't say that I've ever felt that way about acquiring. I suppose I was never really a game hunter, either. It's interesting how the experience is different for everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Money is what holds me back. I'd like to buy games like Earthbound and Pocky and Rocky 2 but the amount they go for is a bit ridiculous. Just the same, I am happy with my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Money is partly the reason for me. I have Dr. bills that I need to pay off. Plus I started collecting games as a gamer, and then turned into a collector. I want to be a gamer again, and the only way I see that happening is getting rid of systems and games I didn't grow up playing. Mostly. Lastly, I got a new turntable. Records are sounding better now, so I would rather have more of those instead.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I've pretty much given up on gaming. Realized I've squandered lots of cash on things I really can't rely upon. I wish I had saved that cash for situations I am currently facing. Right now, things are ultra bad here, and I'm seriously considering getting rid of most of my games.

It's not that I don't like gaming anymore, I just don't see the point of wasting money that may be needed later on on things that are actually important.. LIke I stated previously, I seriously regret buying so many games, and this is also a reason I don't frequent the boards as much. I love DP and it's members, but without having that gaming *spark*, I just don't feel the love anymore.

I am trying my hardest to get money from different sources to pay bills, either by working (same old job which is now netting me crap profits), tutoring, computer repairs...you name it. Therefore, I don't buy games as I used to...maybe one game a month, and it's usually a super cheap $5 game. AND I DONT EVEN PLAY IT.

So I'm seriously considering abandoning gaming altogether.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I used to worry and wake up early on Saturday mornings to rummage flea markets, scour eBay and craigslist. While there was a definite 'high' to those days, I don't really miss 'em either
    It's hard to relax and simply forget about the flea markets, garage sales, and craigslist once you've made a kickass kill out in the wild. Reading "miracle" stories about other collectors' finds also makes you want to keep fighting the good fight. One day I want to find some crate at a garage sale packed with everything I could ever imagine wanting for only $5. Then, to further sweeten the fantasy, they offer me the hand of their lovely gaming daughter with future lower back problems.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At this point, I have way more games then I'll ever have time to play. Since I don't have a whole lot of disposable cash, the games I get for my collection are either pulled from a lot I bought off Craigslist or elsewhere, or I found the game pretty cheap. I'm at the point now where I don't care about getting the cheap games since I own all the really good cheap ones already, and I don't have space for what I already own. So if I find a really good deal on an expensive game that I need for my collection, I'll pick it up. But I might just end up selling it instead of keeping it, since I need money more than I need more games. The last two games I got for my collection were Phantasy Star Online 1+2 plus for the Gamecube and disc only Lucienne's Quest for the 3DO. I got PSO for $20 at PRGE and it's been a real battle to not put it up for sale. LQ I got as a present from a friend, and considering its rarity, it's staying in my collection (I wouldn't sell/trade it anyway since it's a gift but since it's so tough to find, if it had been a cheap purchase I wouldn't sell it).

So really, there's a ton of reasons I've slowed down on collecting. I still buy games, but mostly to sell.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Other hobbies/interests tend to compete for my attention and resources. Compared to most of my friends, I have a "shitload" of games... so people that don't know me too well think I focus on games 24/7. But for any of my hobbies/interests, I have a "shitload" for those as well. I just happen to go a little nuts on things I like when I get around to them. But my interests in things are pretty cyclical and eventually I always come back to it, even if it's years down the road. One of the main reasons why I never sell anything.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]