Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you have more games?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    happy, glad and way content to be 'retired' from the 'rat race' so to speak. I used to worry and wake up early on Saturday mornings to rummage flea markets, scour eBay and craigslist. While there was a definite 'high' to those days, I don't really miss 'em either ;)
    "Rat race"? LOL, damn, I can't say that I've ever felt that way about acquiring. I suppose I was never really a game hunter, either. It's interesting how the experience is different for everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Money is what holds me back. I'd like to buy games like Earthbound and Pocky and Rocky 2 but the amount they go for is a bit ridiculous. Just the same, I am happy with my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Money is partly the reason for me. I have Dr. bills that I need to pay off. Plus I started collecting games as a gamer, and then turned into a collector. I want to be a gamer again, and the only way I see that happening is getting rid of systems and games I didn't grow up playing. Mostly. Lastly, I got a new turntable. Records are sounding better now, so I would rather have more of those instead.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I've pretty much given up on gaming. Realized I've squandered lots of cash on things I really can't rely upon. I wish I had saved that cash for situations I am currently facing. Right now, things are ultra bad here, and I'm seriously considering getting rid of most of my games.

It's not that I don't like gaming anymore, I just don't see the point of wasting money that may be needed later on on things that are actually important.. LIke I stated previously, I seriously regret buying so many games, and this is also a reason I don't frequent the boards as much. I love DP and it's members, but without having that gaming *spark*, I just don't feel the love anymore.

I am trying my hardest to get money from different sources to pay bills, either by working (same old job which is now netting me crap profits), tutoring, computer repairs...you name it. Therefore, I don't buy games as I used to...maybe one game a month, and it's usually a super cheap $5 game. AND I DONT EVEN PLAY IT.

So I'm seriously considering abandoning gaming altogether.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I used to worry and wake up early on Saturday mornings to rummage flea markets, scour eBay and craigslist. While there was a definite 'high' to those days, I don't really miss 'em either
    It's hard to relax and simply forget about the flea markets, garage sales, and craigslist once you've made a kickass kill out in the wild. Reading "miracle" stories about other collectors' finds also makes you want to keep fighting the good fight. One day I want to find some crate at a garage sale packed with everything I could ever imagine wanting for only $5. Then, to further sweeten the fantasy, they offer me the hand of their lovely gaming daughter with future lower back problems.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At this point, I have way more games then I'll ever have time to play. Since I don't have a whole lot of disposable cash, the games I get for my collection are either pulled from a lot I bought off Craigslist or elsewhere, or I found the game pretty cheap. I'm at the point now where I don't care about getting the cheap games since I own all the really good cheap ones already, and I don't have space for what I already own. So if I find a really good deal on an expensive game that I need for my collection, I'll pick it up. But I might just end up selling it instead of keeping it, since I need money more than I need more games. The last two games I got for my collection were Phantasy Star Online 1+2 plus for the Gamecube and disc only Lucienne's Quest for the 3DO. I got PSO for $20 at PRGE and it's been a real battle to not put it up for sale. LQ I got as a present from a friend, and considering its rarity, it's staying in my collection (I wouldn't sell/trade it anyway since it's a gift but since it's so tough to find, if it had been a cheap purchase I wouldn't sell it).

So really, there's a ton of reasons I've slowed down on collecting. I still buy games, but mostly to sell.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Other hobbies/interests tend to compete for my attention and resources. Compared to most of my friends, I have a "shitload" of games... so people that don't know me too well think I focus on games 24/7. But for any of my hobbies/interests, I have a "shitload" for those as well. I just happen to go a little nuts on things I like when I get around to them. But my interests in things are pretty cyclical and eventually I always come back to it, even if it's years down the road. One of the main reasons why I never sell anything.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have too much already. And that's with yearly trims and a fair level of discerning what gets the green light onto my shelves, drawers and closet.

I've managed to expand, while keeping in the 750-1000 band for years now. I'm thinking I can contract down to 500 or so without feeling it much, if at all.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Because I don't have more money. Simple as that. If I had more, of course, I'd buy more games. I'd also work less and have more time to play Wii & Kinect with the kids. So, if I had more cash, I guess it would increase everything related to games. Lol.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I have plenty of games and will always want more but what I need more is the time to play them. Never seems to be enough time.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I chose "Don't want anymore", although its not entirely true. There will always be a game here or there that I'll want to pick up (for example, I just discovered Space Megaforce for the SNES, a kind of spiritual sequel to TG-16 Blazing Lazers so now I'll be looking for it) but for the most part, the core of my collection is complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Space and $$$

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I guess it comes down to time I don't have the time to go out and purchase games, and I don't have enough time to play the games I do have

Do I want more? sure I've spent the last couple years digging into the pre-crash consoles and games, and I am at the point where I'd like to have a near complete 5200 collection and I am still working to getting every USA Turbo Grafx game (I've already got the complete USA CD/SCD set of 44 games!) otherwise, there are games here and there I'd like to get when ever I see them at a price that is difficult to refuse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mostly because of racial oppression and just a dusting of sexual frustration

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they had kept making "GOOD" games consistently, I would have more games. Not many companies over the last 15 or so years release 2D RPGs, quirky Japanese games, point and click, text adventure games, etc. I feel like Ram Jam talking to the Call-It-Doody kid from the "The Wrestler" film, that gaming has passed me by and I'm bewildered and confused by what I see today.

Sadly, I've always kept up with gaming and getting the new games I like and the newest systems since the NES era, but each year it seems my new game buying is less and less. My collection is actually pretty large and it's very rare for me to find something old that I need. It does have a lot of rare titles that certain types of people (nerds?) would envy. Not the super rare games that people want only because they are rare, but stuff like every PS1 and PS2 RPG as I love RPGs that much. There just is not that much good stuff to collect these days and I already have most of the old stuff that I have ever wanted. I'm looking forward to the Vita and the 3DS as there seems to be several new games that I really want that will be out by Spring as well as several good odd Japanese ones that could make it over, so I really expect my collection to start to grow by a couple dozen a year from now with those new games. I don't really see my old collection growing unless I go crazy and decide to collect one of every sports game ever made or something batty like that. !

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'd say only money is a factor. If you had more money, you could just BUY more space. haha.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I chose "other bogus reason"

I personally feel overwhelmed by some of the people's collections here and I have a strong sense of buyers remorse if I buy something that I never use. It's not a money, spouse, or space issue I simply go after what I want and nothing is interesting me on the classic front too much at the moment. I guess you could say that I'm content with my collection for the moment.

Insert Coin (Level 0) BnGamesReviews's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kenji_Matsuo

Because Ebay prices are usually outrageous. I usually wait until something im looking for falls into my lap which tends to happen rather frequently if im patient enough. $100 bucks for MegaMan X3 on the SNES on Ebay or more in Game Stores that still sell classic stuff? Nope, $15 of some kid who wanted to buy a PS3. The collection grows slowly with time.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

I usually just find the holy grails by fate.. then trade newer stuff or random stuff for those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

money some of the reason, but the main reason is time...sure i can look online..but i dont have time to go the the flee markets i use to go to, or the time to play that much anymore..Though i do play when i get the chance.