Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God Gamestop is Clueless.....Thank God! (A Big Find for Me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default God Gamestop is Clueless.....Thank God! (A Big Find for Me)

As some of you guys may remember, a while back I was bitching about how Gamestop and Funcoland routinely throw away tons of perfectly good product because.... Well, I still haven't figured out why yet. But anyways because of this I make it a habit to check out the dumpster in back from time to time. Yeah you can call me a garbage picker if you'd like. i've been called worse before.

Well today I walked away from the TRASH BIN with the following

Complete boxes and manuals for the following SNES games

Chrono-Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Illusion of Gaia
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    Lost Vikings 2
    Wizardry V
    Wanderers of Y's
    Lagoon
    Paladins Quest
    Act Raiser
    Act Raiser 2
    Warlock
    Prince of Persia
    Soul Blazer
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts
    Skuljagger
    Star Trek TNG

All RPGS had manuals as well as maps.

Needless to say I was blown away.

After finding these treasures a few thoughts came to mind.

1) What damn fool would trade in complete copies of these games to a Gamestop?!?

2) What damn fool Gamestop employee would THROW THE EMPTY BOXES AND MANUALS AWAY?!?

Anyways, I went inside hoping to find the games that went with the boxes and all I was able to find were Secret of Mana, Paladin's Quest and Secret of Evermore which I bought under the "Buy 2 get 1 Free" sale.

Needless to say I'm happy.

I'll post pictures if anyone wishes once I find out what's up with my ISPs ftp access.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Apparently they throw the boxes away to have more space, or something. I asked the local Gamestop employees about this a while back, and that was the answer they gave me, I'm pretty sure.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WHOOOO!!!! "DUMPSTER"

*Chugs beer*

+1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well at least you didn't have to pay for the boxes and manuals...I went into gamestop a couple of weeks ago and also found some complete boxes/manuals in perfect condition, of which i asked for and recieved. I felt bad that I was getting all this free stuff so I bought a genesis arcade controller for a buck...had to give them at least some money. Every time I go into the store now, I hope to see more boxes on the counter prime for the taking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

What an awesome find, congrats! I was also shocked when I went into Gamestop to trade in the most turderiffic GBA game I've ever played (Fire Pro Wrestling 2), the guy asked me when I was trading it in:

"Do you want the box for anything?"

"Uh...why would I want the box, I'm trading it in?"

"Just asking, we always throw them away."

seriously, how much space can boxes take up, considering about 10% or less of SNES/NES/N64/GBA trade-in games come with boxes?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Nice find.

And how many times does this need to be covered? Take a stack of say 20 games in their boxes and check the amount of space that takes up versus taking said games out of the boxes. Now multipily that difference many, many times. Plain and simply that's why they toss the stuff.

Not saying it's "right" or whatever but, once again I must remind those that forget, Gamespot is not in the business of serving collectors. They are only interested in moving as many games as they can.

PS-I hope no one takes this as being too cranky or anything. It just seems like every 2 weeks or so another topic pops up about the evil of Gamestop and it gets a little old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

I've dug through the garbage at GameStop multiple times and all I have to show for it are a few N64 boxes covered in some mysterious liquid. x_x

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't Gamestop realize, though, that people will pay more for complete games? Hell, I'd definitely pay 30 for a complete Chrono but would pass up a loose copy for 20

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great finds, I gotta try that one these days, asking about boxes, not going through the dumpsters that is.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, did you actually go through the dumpster or was there something near it that you found?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Nice find.

And how many times does this need to be covered? Take a stack of say 20 games in their boxes and check the amount of space that takes up versus taking said games out of the boxes. Now multipily that difference many, many times. Plain and simply that's why they toss the stuff.

I understand that they can't save all of the boxes but anyone working at a Gamestop should know that you just don't throw away Chronotrigger and Sercret of Mana boxes and maps.

I'm sure that they get so little boxed NES and SNES boxes by now that they would be able to keep what they do get.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Nice find.

I understand that they can't save all of the boxes but anyone working at a Gamestop should know that you just don't throw away Chronotrigger and Sercret of Mana boxes and maps.

I'm sure that they get so little boxed NES and SNES boxes by now that they would be able to keep what they do get.
    Chalk that up to an employee who works there for the WAGE, not the love of games. Seems like more and more employees are going that route. Sad, but true.

If someone had brought those in to my store, they would have SO gone home with me...
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, but an employee, working only for wage and who knows his merchandise, would have taken those items home and hit ebay with them.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamespot is not in the business of serving collectors.
    But they are serving collectors. At least those already in possession of specific rare titles. Imagine how many game boxes get trashed every year. Rare titles will be even rarer, complete at least.

I e-mail Gamestop and EB at least a couple of times a year and complain. If they didn't accept loose games for trade-in, they wouldn't have any loose games for sale. Or, atleast, they could have a collector's service via their online store where you can check a box which adds a few dollars to the price, but guarantees you a complete copy.

Especially games for newer systems, like the PSX, DC, etc. should only be accepted if complete.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Yes, but an employee, working only for wage and who knows his merchandise, would have taken those items home and hit ebay with them.
    Most employees are not knowledgeable when it comes to older systems. THey know what's new and hot because the company tells them to. Of course, there are knowledgeable employees, but a good majority of them are not.

Lastly,

GAMESTOP IS NOT A PLACE FOR COLLECTORS TO SHOP AT AND NEVER WILL BE.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so really now. did you dive in, open it up and look or see it peeking over the rim? i have no idea how to find the trash area of the mall stores but at my strip mall stores i've looked into it briefly. both stores used those big flat topped dumpsters, hehe i'm not sure i have the guts to go peering over that. i'm older are more paranoid now i imagine some cop or security would see me and have me rustled out of there like a can picking hobo.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About a year and a half ago, I turned up 600+ Genesis, SNES, and NES boxes in the dumpster of a video store that just went out of business. Lift up that lid and dive in kids!

Regarding the paranoia about being caught, I have some advice that works for me (since I'm paranoid too.) Act like you belong there. A security guard on "patrol" once challenged me while I was elbow-deep in a Funco dumpster. I said "Oh, my manager accidently tossed out some new stock with the trash, and of course the new guy has to go dig it out." He shook his head, smiled, and continued on. No worries.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure I want those items badly enough to go waist deep in a dumpster for it. I mean, COME ON, my local gamestop is next to a taco bell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I went dumpster diving a few weeks ago at Bb and picked out 200 DVD cases and some promo boxes.......I also encountered mystical goo.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting caught. Whats the worst that could happen, they tell you to get out. It would be pretty funny if you are in the dumpster when a gamestop employee comes out with a bag of garbage though....just pretend like you sleep in there waiting for them to throw out the garbage, then grad the bag from him and start going through it.

ANYWAY, nice find.....cheers to the Dumpster Divers

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forget that, man. Wait outside until the employee comes out, then offer him $5 for the bag so you don't have to get in the freakin' dumpster.