Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone feel like the Wii U is doomed?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Goatdan spoke of inflation. A $599 PS3 is nothing in comparison to what you really paid for consoles back then. The PS3 didn't drop in price as fast as the 3DS, but it wasn't too much later that it had its first price drop. Since then it's stayed around $100 more than the 360.
    Inflation and current value of money is really not the right way to analyze modern consumer products. You need to analyze it in relative terms to other products in proportion to disposable income.

$600 for a game console five years ago was more than most kids are given by their parents for Christmas and even though I bought one at launch, I know it seemed like a heck of a lot of money to me at the time and I make a pretty good living. Obviously a lot of others agreed as it didn't meet first year sales goals nor did it remain sold out for more than a few weeks after launch. The point is, there are many, many factors which make a product successful. Even the folks at Apple have had failures or disappointments in recent years like Apple TV and the novel controller on the WiiU is certainly not going to be the thing that determines in and of itself if the console succeeds. Just like the 3DS is becoming marketed less as a 3D system, the WiiU can easily be repositioned as a high-def powerhouse for all the classic IP kids and families love and the controller written off as a mistake if it doesn't add anything to the gaming experience.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'm more or less tuned out on it until it's at least established, I pretty much do not buy consoles at launch. If they start talking about quality Startropics and Earthbound games at launch maybe I'll pay more attention.

Also how about a 2D Metroid again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope we'll get full fledged online integration this time and achievements. I'm a single player gamer 99% of the time, but I've fallen in love with things like the competition that leaderboards for classic game rereleases bring, keeping an eye on what friends are doing, collecting achievements, etc.

I hope the WiiU provides for all that, although I suspect it's wishful thinking looking at how little the 3DS has advvanced their online integration.