Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Discussion Topic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Discussion Topic

So i've been playing for 5 hours or so in my er...swedish copy of the game and am enjoying it immensely.

Is anyone else here playing? If so, what do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I've got a somewhat stupid question: can Link sit on toilets to recover stamina? I saw this "mechanic" mentioned elsewhere online, and I'm curious as to whether or not it's true.

In any case, I'm picking-up a Deluxe edition on Sunday.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can sit on the toilet but i don't think it does anything. There's a bath in the school i imagine would heal you but i was at full hearts when i went in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far I am enjoying it. I had to get past the obligatory "go find this" mission in the beginning which was boring, but I finally began the real game and it sure is Zelda alright. I'd say that one of the coolest things so far is the weapon you get in the first dungeon. I won't spoil what it is, but just playing with it is pretty cool.
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

I'm excited to finally get my hands on the game in a few days!

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MetalMilitia's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I can't wait to buy this game on Sunday! By far my most anticipated game of this holiday season. 4 more days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Game looks great, I cant wait. Picking it up Sun as well
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo's check must've bounced, GameSpot gave it a 7.5 after gushing about it in several days ago in several writeups they did as they played through it in preparation for the review.

Kidding aside, I don't put any stock in their review in light of what most every other outlet is saying. I'm not even sure their complaints are legitimate when the guy was dozens of hours into it just a couple of days ago and seemed in love. Makes me wonder if it was an intentionally low score to increase the number of hits they were going to get when other review outlets had reviews ready to go the minute Nintendo's embargo expired. Plus, I'm still in love with the Zelda formula and that was their biggest complaint, the lack of enough evolution.

That said, I'm all but convinced I'm not going to like the lack of an overworld in this game. I'm sure I'll love it just the same, but I've always enjoyed exploring the overworld just as much as I did the dungeons themselves. So I didn't really care for train tracks, oceans, or likely this fast travel system from the cloud world above Hyrule or whatever the land form is called..
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-17-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Is it more interesting than Twilight Princess? I'm one of those nut jobs who's a little tired of the Ocarina format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Is it more interesting than Twilight Princess? I'm one of those nut jobs who's a little tired of the Ocarina format.
    Plenty of people besides GameSpot seem to think it's a nice evolution and reimagining of the series. So I'd say it stands a good chance at being what you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    From what I've read, it's almost more like a Phantom Hourglass format than Ocarina. You know, revisiting areas and such. I think that was a huge flaw in Phantom Hourglass, but apparently they've done a much better job in this one.

I have no problem revisiting areas in games, I just want it to be fun and different while I'm doing it. In PH it felt like a chore.

I'm also looking quite forward to Sunday, though I'll probably be watching football mostly. I did take off Monday and hope to get a solid 10 hours into it on my day off though, so we'll see.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of reviews, IGN seems pretty happy about it:

"The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the greatest Zelda game ever created. It's the best game for Wii and one of the finest video game accomplishments of the past 10 years. The game has once again raised the bar and forged new territory for an iconic and innovative franchise. It's not enough that it finally establishes a powerful, stirring origin story or that it features near-perfect pacing. What puts Skyward Sword over the top is its layered, dense, absolutely perfect gameplay that manages to not only nail motion-controlled combat but remarkably offers a stunning level of diversity. "

That is some pretty high praise!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The praise is similarly high in Edge Magazine (which I got a copy of early this month at the Montreal International Games Summit). I was rather surprised, because, while I was expecting positive reviews, I didn't think I'd read something akin to "the best Zelda game ever made", considering the general love for both A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can always count on GameSpot to give Zelda games a lower score than everyone else. Remember their infamous 8.8 for Twilight Princess? Everyone else seems unanimous on it being the best Zelda game of all time (though I'll have to play the game to determine whether that's for political reasons).
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't bother following Gamespot's own scores. It's the User Score average I find the most useful. If 500 people say a game is good, then it's most likely a good game. If one magazine or website says a game is good, it's not as certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Not too far into it, but I am liking the game. I have to say that as a big zelda fan, this one is a nice swan song for the Wii
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Probably going to get heat for this but I find this game unbelievably boring so far. Zelda games used to immerse you in the action immediately once you pick them up. In this one you go around finding pets and learning flying lessons for hours.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    Probably going to get heat for this but I find this game unbelievably boring so far. Zelda games used to immerse you in the action immediately once you pick them up. In this one you go around finding pets and learning flying lessons for hours.
    You shouldn't get any heat for it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Personally, I expect Zeldas to have a lot of story and didn't mind the slow start. The "baby dungeon" to find your bird was well fitting IMO. Maybe it could have been a bit more streamlined, but with the way tutorials are presented in games nowadays, you pretty much expect the first hour or so to be a slow introduction to the controls.

So far I'm only halfway through the first temple but I'm enjoying it. My only slight complaint is the battle controls. I think I'm still in the learning curve, but my horiztonal slashing skills aren't quite up to par yet. It's causing me some frustrations with Skulltulas... sometimes I can kill them with no damage, and sometimes they take all of my 6 hearts.

Just save frequently though, and it doesn't become a problem.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Discussion Topic

Been playing it since I got it launch day. Yeah it starts out a little slow IMHO but to me it more eases you into the controls and lets you get a feel for the game. After I got used to everything, the game starts picking up. So I'd say so far I like it. But then, I've been a fan of Zelda since before it started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegamezmaster View Post
    But then, I've been a fan of Zelda since before it started.
    How'd you pull that one off?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213