Thread: Is anyone into making reproductions? Any great resources? What have you made?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is anyone into making reproductions? Any great resources? What have you made?

Once I've filled out my SNES collection (~310-320 unique games right now) I want to make some reproductions including Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) and the NTSC version of Terranigma.

The internet is, sadly, pretty bare when it comes to solid guides to help lead enthusiasts through recreating games. I know I'd need an eeprom burner and some chips, doner boards, soldering iron etc. ...but it's not the most intuitive process. I don't know if there's someone out there who'd be willing to mentor me... I already have the soldering gear and would drop the cash on the other supplies immediately if I knew there was someone willing to help.

I try to buy official releases, but unfortunately it looks like a few fantastic games never saw the light of day, and I'd prefer to make them myself over buying them from gamereproductions.com or something.

I'm also pretty psyched about (hopefully?) the eventual release of Nightmare Busters by the Super Fighter Team.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, well, most people do NES repros (2 of your links), and the ones that do SNES repros are typically inactive (pootle's last post was almost a year ago) or won't share their information.

I was hoping maybe an active member with experience in this area would want to chime in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talk to Mindless punk. He and his partner make all kinds of stuff. Tell him your old pal RCM sent ya.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check a little bit deeper kogami last post was like two weeks ago.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. ^_^

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people dont like to share their knowledge of how to build reproductions. Good Luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MrMark does excellent Genesis repros: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/member.php?u=18631

For SNES and other systems check out:

http://www.mutecityelectronics.com/

http://gamereproductions.com/
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Most people dont like to share their knowledge of how to build reproductions. Good Luck!
    Personally I figured out everything using available documentation and researching without approaching anyone else. I did not have to ask anyone to show me how to do anything. The instructions are already out there and have been for a long while now. You can also start small with simple projects and the rest falls into place eventually.

Some things I even figured out on my own with no precedence, such as label quality, adhesives, etc, good old fashioned trial and error in many respects on that front.

It's my personal experience that if someone isn't technically minded enough to grasp what goes into making reproductions by themselves, they are the sort of people who will ask you questions every step of the way and essentially need to be spoon fed. You become their 'go-to guy' for every stupid little thing. I know I sound like an ass (and I am an ass in many ways) putting it like that but I don't have the time or patience to be someone's tutor, especially for free under the pretense of them taking shortcuts.

It's not about keeping competition down because I don't even make them anymore.