Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worthwhile Master System Titles?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Worthwhile Master System Titles?

I just picked up a master system and do not have a single game to play! What are some good titles? I know about US releases for the most part but I hear the master system has no region lockout and European and Brazilian games will work? Is this true? I have heard that more titles were released in Europe, and especially Brazil where the system flourished up until the late 90s! So, what are some good titles from each region? how rare are some titles? Thanks!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Phantasy Star is oft-recommended.

I like the SMS port of Rastan, and its not exactly the same as the arcade version so if you're familiar with one it won't entirely spoil the other for you.

Golvellius: Valley of Doom is also quite good.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheClash603's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheClash603
    PSN
    TheClash603

Golden Axe Warrior and Shinobi are my favorite games on the system.

I also am a huge fan of the 3D goggles and games, but that can get a little pricey.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

How much do the 3D goggles normally run for? I saw a store selling a system with all the accessories (including the goggles) for like I think $40-$70. Should I run out and get it or is it not worth owning two SMSes over?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SMS library's fairly neat, especially if you're open to trying some interestingly downsized and/or rearranged arcade & Genesis ports. Some worthy SMS games, in my opinion, include the likes of:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Bubble Bobble (no NA release, regrettably)
    Cloud Master
    Gain Ground
    Gauntlet
    Ninja Gaiden (Euro exclusive)
    The Ninja
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Master of Darkness (Euro exclusive)
    Quartet
    Rampage
    Zillion

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, Ill def check some of these out!

Any more recommendations for any European and Brazilian exclusives? thats what Im mainly interested in.

The Krustys funhouse port looks awesome, Ive heard its the best version as well, although the final levels cant be reached in game, only via password.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    I just picked up a master system and do not have a single game to play! What are some good titles? I know about US releases for the most part but I hear the master system has no region lockout and European and Brazilian games will work? Is this true? I have heard that more titles were released in Europe, and especially Brazil where the system flourished up until the late 90s! So, what are some good titles from each region? how rare are some titles? Thanks!
    I own no non-US releases, but I like:
    Space Harrier
    Space Harrier 3D
    Golvellius
    All of the Wonder Boy's, particularly 1 and 3, for entirely different reasons.
    Zaxxon 3D
    And it's a no-brainer (and I don't own the US release), but Sonic is seriously a must-have for anyone who wants to showcase his collection to fellow geeks. It shows the SMS's capabilities like no other game I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    How much do the 3D goggles normally run for? I saw a store selling a system with all the accessories (including the goggles) for like I think $40-$70. Should I run out and get it or is it not worth owning two SMSes over?
    From other threads, I think you're a touch like me with the Pokemon/collector 'gotta have it all' bug. If I'm right there, grab it, up till $50 anyway. If it's boxed, $70's cool. Master Systems had different built-in games on lots of consoles, 4 or more variants I believe. So like a true geek, I want all from snail maze to the 2 game consoles. Also, I paid $40 shipped for my first set of guaranteed to work 3D glasses, and they were cracked, right down the middle. Still happy with the purchase. And I buy-n-sell for a living, so I'm a cheap-ass. Got em on DP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll put in the vote for
    Castle of Illusion
    Land of Illusion
    Power Strike
    Dragon Crystal
    Ghouls n Ghosts (for some reason this is my favourite version)
    Lucky Dime Caper is ok

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Asterix (Euro exclusive)
    Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
    Fantasy Zone II
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Kenseiden
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Wonderboy III

to name a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found Phantasy Star the other week and have been playing it each morning before work while sipping on coffee. There is level grinding involved starting out to progress anywhere, but once you gain some experience footing and upgrade items (armor, sword, and shield) it's time to move on. The creatures and backgrounds are vivid and colorful beyond what I've played on the Nintendo or Atari systems of the era. Oddly enough I am enjoying it more than I did playing Phantasy Star II or III.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land was one of the few games I had growing up with the system and it's an enjoyable action platform. There are timing sequences, variety of monsters, item upgrades, and an ending castle maze (take the bell if you don't know the way) with a tough, finale dragon fight.

If you're a fan of the Fantasy Zone series there are three on the Master System, two scrolling shooters and an action maze. These further demonstrate the bright colors offered by the system and chirpy sound. Fantasy Zone: The Maze is an oddball game to grab so watch some gameplay videos, read a few reviews and decide from there. Other shooters to try are Cloud Master, R-Type, and Bomber Raid.

The recent issue of Retro Gamer Magazine has an extensive write-up on the history of Bubble Bobble and praise is given to the Sega 8-bit port, might be worth a read if you're a fan of the series or of the genre. Not being released in the U.S. would place it on your import list.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was the first system my parents bought me as a kid. I would highly recommend Alex Kidd in Miracle World, WonderBoy 1, and Zillion 1.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dont think many other people enjoy this game as much as I do, but I enjoy Shanghai. It is a fun little puzzle game and the color and graphics on the Master System is top notch. It has a fun two player mode where you can set a timer for each player and you need to make your picks fast. It is a cool game, and usually goes for pennies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep for the most part there is no region lock out on the SMS, IIRC there are only 2 obscure Brazilian games that won't work on the North American SMS system, I don't remember which ones right now.

Anyway, some decent games to get:

Kenseiden - it's like Shinobi, if you like Shinobi you'll like this one
    Shinobi - duh lol
    The Cyber Shinobi - I always liked this one a lot, but it seems to really divide people
    Sonic The Hedgehog - difficult as a mofo but still fun (it's the same as the Game Gear version)
    Sonic 2 - see above
    Sonic Chaos - by far the best of the SMS Sonic games and one of my favourite games of all time, it's really well made and not as insanely difficult as the first 2 Sonic games
    Jurassic Park - unexpectedly fun game with surprisingly good graphics, it's basically the same as the Game Gear version except your character sprite is different
    Phantasy Star - it's a classic, though if you don't like RPGs much maybe avoid it, it's a grind fest, but if like old school stuff like that, you'll love it
    Transbot - cool little shmup, and probably the only good Sega Card game
    Penguin Land - you can make your own levels, 'nuff said!
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Any more recommendations for any European and Brazilian exclusives? thats what Im mainly interested in.

The Krustys funhouse port looks awesome, Ive heard its the best version as well, although the final levels cant be reached in game, only via password.
    For Brazilian exclusives, take a look at this list on Wikipedia for anything published or developed by Tec Toy. As far as worthwhile curiousities are concerned, they've published a number of SMS Game Gear ports that weren't released outside of Brazil, in addition to developing some weird "original" creations (basically just spritehacks of other SMS games translated into Portugese). They also released Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, a game which had its European release cancelled, making the SMS version a Brazilian exclusive.

Here are some of the more interesting "Brazil exclusive" GG ports:

- Dynamite Headdy
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Legend of Illusion
    - Sonic Blast
    - X-Men 3: Mojo World
    Last edited by Drixxel; 11-27-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll drop my two cents in for Wonder Boy 3: The Dragons Trap. It's not system exclusive and it uses passwords but man, it's a pretty easy game to get into. I liken most to Metroid style although it's far more playable in this day and age. Lots of areas to explore, good controls, and great visuals all lend themselves to the experience being enjoyable. I began playing it this past year and I was pleasantly surprised.

Power Strike (Aleste) is also quite good if you can track a copy down. Thankfully, the European release is much cheaper (and easier to find) if you source a cartridge only copy. Power Strike 2 however is very expensive/elusive although it's an excellent game, so I'd try before you buy on this if you're unsure.

I also quite enjoy Shinobi and Choplifter, which are both cheap and easy to find.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

If you like RPG's, the game Miracle Warriors is not too shabby.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-m...-the-dark-lord

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    Yep for the most part there is no region lock out on the SMS, IIRC there are only 2 obscure Brazilian games that won't work on the North American SMS system, I don't remember which ones right now.
    From what I've heard, the only games that don't work on (some?) NA systems are the 8-megabit games, of which there's only a few.
    Street Fighter II, Sonic Blast, Virtua Fighter Animation, Woody Woodpecker (Férias Frustradas do Pica-Pau) and I think a couple other games based on Brazil-only licenses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    From what I've heard, the only games that don't work on (some?) NA systems are the 8-megabit games, of which there's only a few.
    Street Fighter II, Sonic Blast, Virtua Fighter Animation, Woody Woodpecker (Férias Frustradas do Pica-Pau) and I think a couple other games based on Brazil-only licenses.
    I've also heard Codemasters European games have had issues running on NTSC/US-Canada systems too. I don't have much interest in those yet so I don't definitively know off hand. I am including a text file (zip'ed) I believe I got off Gamefaqs a while ago which does cover all overseas issues/compatibilities though.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you sure it didn't come with any games?
    Most SMS systems have a game or two built-in.

Anyway, I still fire up R-Type, Rastan, and Wonder Boy in Monster Land from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Well for one..Sonic is good on it, and Golden Axe is close the the Genesis version..It had a ok port of Outrun, Afterburner, and Altered Beast..The list could keep going on and on..These are just some you will know.