Thread: Getting into the Sega Genesis - Advice Needed

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Getting into the Sega Genesis - Advice Needed

Hi all,

I've decided to hunt down a Sega Genesis and experience a part of the 16-bit era (my favorite) that I missed the first go-round. I made a list of games I am interested in checking out (I am more of a player than a collector per se) but I have a question about the system itself.

I am a little confused about the various versions of the console. I know there are/were 3 different versions of the Genesis but I'm not sure which one is right for me.

I know I want composite or s-video output. Can I do RGB to component somehow with a Genesis? I am going to be using HD televisions for the most part, both at home and on the road for work.

I remember reading somewhere around here that certain versions of the Genesis have something strange going on with the audio. What's the deal with that?

I don't know if I want/need Sega CD or 32X compatibility or not... Not sure what the killer apps were for those add-ons. Feel free to convince me I need either or both!

Thanks!
    Last edited by marlowe221; 12-04-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

The three versions aren't a big deal unless you want the CD/32X, then I think (feel free to call me stupid, people!) the model 3 won't work with them. Least that's what I heard, still don't have a model 3.

None of them will use component cables without a mod. I have an S video adapter, but it probably just converts the AV signal, so it's probably not better quality.

If you want nostalgia and didn't own the CD or 32x, then why bother? If you want to experience the full mess of the Genesis titles, you'll want both.

And I dunno what's up with any audio issues, but maybe others will...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

buy a colecovision
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by marlowe221 View Post
    I know I want composite or s-video output. Can I do RGB to component somehow with a Genesis? I am going to be using HD televisions for the most part, both at home and on the road for work.
    All models of the Sega Genesis can output RGB via SCART, but the original giant one with the headphone jack has its own video cable, so make sure you buy the correct SCART cable. None of them can do component video. You're a good decade too early for that. None of the systems natively produce S-Video, and all produce a dirty signal for composite. If you want S-video, you'll have to mod your system. Model 1 Genesis systems are the easiest to mod because of how large the casing on them is. If that sounds too daunting, most clone Genesis systems these days come with S-video output.

I remember reading somewhere around here that certain versions of the Genesis have something strange going on with the audio. What's the deal with that?
    Different Genesis revisions have slightly different audio. Unless your an audio nazi, you won't care/notice the difference. It's the kind of difference people say they notice with emulation of Genesis games on good compilations like Sonic Mega Collection. Unless you OMG MUST HAVE THE BEST AUDIO EVER1111111111 it doesn't matter too much. The differences on the offical systems aren't as pronounced as the differences on clones.

I don't know if I want/need Sega CD or 32X compatibility or not... Not sure what the killer apps were for those add-ons. Feel free to convince me I need either or both!
    Sega CD is nice to have if you like RPGs. The original versions of Lunar The Silver Star and Lunar Eternal Blue are on the Sega CD, and they're extremely fantastic. It's GameArts at their best.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The Model 3 isn't compatible with all games so you probably won't want that, it's harder to find than the first 2 models anyway. There are also a couple of games that are only compatible with the very first version of the Model 1 but I don't think most people care about them much. Either the first or second model will be fine, if you're really picky with sound or video quality it should be mentioned that there were several different revisions of the Model 1 and Model 2 and some have better video and audio quality than others. It would be a pain to track down specific versions. For the most part I don't really notice much of a difference between them so just buy whatever you can find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The Model 3 isn't compatible with all games so you probably won't want that, it's harder to find than the first 2 models anyway. There are also a couple of games that are only compatible with the very first version of the Model 1 but I don't think most people care about them much. Either the first or second model will be fine, if you're really picky with sound or video quality it should be mentioned that there were several different revisions of the Model 1 and Model 2 and some have better video and audio quality than others. It would be a pain to track down specific versions. For the most part I don't really notice much of a difference between them so just buy whatever you can find.
    Sound advice here. I might add: A model 2 costs less to ship if the seller isn't a shit. Also, the 3 or 4 games you can only play on a first run model 1 are playable with a Game Genie, and finding a early Genesis can be tricky. Here's more to get you started.

http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/SEG...ion_Specs.html

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

If you import a euro RGB SCART cable there is a converter box you can buy for $50 or so that converts S-Video and SCART cable connectors to HDMI. You could do that for Genesis 1 and run the audio out of its headphone jack for true pure stereo sound. It looks so shiny on my TV and the converter box also came in handy for Neo Geo CD and 3DO which have S-Video jacks built in.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Friends Don't Let Friends Genesis & Drive.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Get a Genesis Model 2.

Seriously, the Sega CD Model 2 is more stable/reliable, and combined with the Sega 32X, the whole system will look flush, and all of the lettering will be white.

No red, no hard to find cables, everything is black and white and sits flush.

Here is a pic of mine.

Actually, come to think of it, I have an extra cable for the model 1 Genesis if anyone needs one. I got the Sega CD CIB
    Last edited by FxMercenary; 12-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Ahh genesis. You shall enjoy mk1 in all its bloody glory. The better version of aladin (imo) and sonic titles. And one game i think is cool that i tried when i got it with a bundle deal i purchased early this year. Mazing Saga Mutant Fighter

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    Also, the 3 or 4 games you can only play on a first run model 1 are playable with a Game Genie
    Not in my experience, I've tried that with Budokan and couldn't get it to work on anything but the original Model 1. Maybe it depends on the version of Game Genie, I don't really know for sure.

A Nomad with a video out cable could also be a good system to get.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There are games that don't work with certain Genesis models? What games are they?

That just perplexes me. I can't imagine a console having that kind of issue.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    There are games that don't work with certain Genesis models? What games are they?

Its more common then you think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Seems as if some of the unlicensed EA carts refuse to work in some systems. And, of course, Virtua Racing doesn't work on a Genesis 3. I'm sure there's more. With such a wide range of hardware options and software like the Genesis has and such a long run, there is bound to be the occasional issue.

There's been plenty of other examples, as well. The Playstation consoles had the occasional incompatible game depending on which revision, expansion pack equipped N64 consoles sometimes have issues playing Space Station Silicon Valley, there is a wide range of compatibility issues across 2600/7800 revisions, Intellivisions that won't play Coleco and a Mattel cart or two, etc.

You'd be hard pressed to name a console that doesn't have have the occasional issue. Even the Xbox 360 has an issue currently with Halo Reach and Halo ODST when playing on a slim arcade system with 4 gigs of internal memory. The multiplayer modes refuse to work since the systems aren't hard drive equipped, despite there being ample internal memory for caching and such that the game could use. And plugging in a USB memory stick to serve as a Xbox 360 storage device to take the place of a hard drive also doesn't resolve the issue like it's supposed to.

Supposedly a fix is on the way, but there's a modern day example of such a thing in action.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-04-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would seriously recommend the Model 1 + Model 2 Sega Cd combo, the audio on model 2 consoles is pretty terrible, I myself had a model 2 for years and laughed off peoples claims that it had inferior audio until I had both a model 1 and 2 running side by side, there is a pretty noticeable difference. The other advantage of going the model 1 route is you can use a PBC and play master system carts and cards without any mods to the unit.

In terms of video out, you'll either need a s-video modded console(which is pretty good on CRT's or good HDTV's that upscale) or buy an RGB + RGB to HDMI or Component convertor, that's going to give you the best and easiest results on a HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Not in my experience, I've tried that with Budokan and couldn't get it to work on anything but the original Model 1. Maybe it depends on the version of Game Genie, I don't really know for sure.
    Like lots of Sega's stuff, no one knows for sure

I can't remember the list, but the story goes EA and Accolade were watching the Mega Drive, hoping for no BIOS lockout when it came to the States. When it didn't, they had games ready to release. SO Sega made all the Genny's afterwards display that 'Lisenced By Sega' screen. If the game isn't lisenced and you display that screen, see ya in court! If it doesn't have that screen, won't work. SMMS or SMSS or something like that it's called...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yup that screen also doesn't appear in Sega CD or SMS mode. If for some odd reason you only use those and not any Genesis carts period, you may potentially never discover the feature's presence.

PBC fits and runs on CDX without mods as well. One benefit it has over near all model 2 or newer models. Sure you "can" modify the Nomad to support PBC/32X, but that'd be disgustingly uncomfortable to use portable...
    Lum fan.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Model 1 Genesis uses the same AV cable as a Sega Master System. These only come with mono audio, to hear stereo you must use the headphone jack on the front.

Model 2 Genesis used a different AV cable. It's available in either mono or stereo.

32x uses the same AV cable as Model 2, but originally came with various adapters so you could use Model 1 cables. If for some reason you get a 32x and intend to use it on a model 1, make sure you get all the adapters you'll need.

A Model 1 Genesis will work with a Model 2 Sega CD, no problem. There's an extender piece for the Sega CD and it will look funny without it, but it still works.

A Model 2 Genesis on a Model 1 Sega CD is a little trickier, it doesn't want to fit right and will put stress on the connectors because the angle is wrong, but it can be done. I've done it, just to see if it would work, but it's not anything I'd do long term.

Other things to consider...
    If you're planning to play any fighting games like SF2, MK, etc., you definitely want to make sure you get a 6 button pad. If you're sticking to more RPG's, platformers, etc, it's probably not critical and a 3 button might be enough.

If you do get a SegaCD and/or 32x, each has its own power supply wall wart in addition to the one for the Genesis, so make sure you have room to plug everything in.

BTW, Sunnyvale, the thing you're thinking of is TMSS, in case anyone wants to look it up for more info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Get a JVC X'Eye. It's got the genesis and sega CD all built into one unit, you only need one power adapter, and it has S-video output.

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/others/jvc_xeye.htm
    Life is like a hurricane...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are serious get a non TMSS Model 1 and a model 2 and pair them with a Model 1 and 2 Sega CD and add a 32x to the model 2 pair. There are about 10-20 games that have trouble with certain combos. A few examples are early EA titles and both Lunars. If getting a Sega CD get a ram cart too, they are expensive but required for Shining Force CD. There are a few Laseractive LD-ROM games but almost all are available on other systems for far less than you would have to pay to get one of those set up.