Thread: Just got a Robotron. Looking for help!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just got a Robotron. Looking for help!

I just got a Robotron cabaret (awesome) but it doesn't work. I've started the troubleshooting process but I'm new to this type of game and problem...

Good news, the monitor and boards are getting power and the monitor turns on (no picture though). Anyone know where to start on this? There are LEDs on the boards. The first is of, which I'm going to guess is a problem.

Also, cabarets are so much easier to move than full size games...
    Last edited by Raging Prawn; 12-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Prawn View Post
    I just got a Robotron cabaret (awesome) but it doesn't work. I've started the troubleshooting process but I'm new to this type of game and problem...

Good news, the monitor and boards are getting power and the monitor turns on (no picture though). Anyone know where to start on this? There are LEDs on the boards. The first is of, which I'm going to guess is a problem.

Also, cabarets are so much easier to move than full size games...
    First off, congrats -- and if you are anywhere around me and ever want to sell it, that one is on my short list

As for the first thing to start with, try removing and reseating all of the connectors going to the board and between the board and the monitor. DON'T MESS WITH ANYTHING AT THE BACK OF THE MONITOR. That is the easiest tip and the first tip that I have been told to do with my arcade games, and I would say it fixes problems about 75% of the time. The connectors can get corroded, and reseating them allows them to make a better connection again!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check resistance on all the fuses on the game pcb and PSU.
    Check the voltages on the different rails.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

You say the monitor is getting power but no picture...What IS it doing? Is there neck glow? I had a monitor with the same symptom and it ended up being a couple small problems, the main one was a loose wire on the chassis. What's the model of your monitor? I found a repair flowchart on the net that proved very helpful.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the monitor neck is glowing, the first thing to start with on a Williams of that vintage is a replacement power supply followed by new RAM. That will clear up the bulk of issues on these.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where's the best place to buy these?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First thing to do is measure your voltages and report back here with your results. Low +5 can cause many issues. If you do need to rebuild the power supply, order the rebuild kit from Bob Roberts (about $7 IIRC) to get it running like new again.

The motherboard should give you a few flashing numbers, e.g., 1-3-1. Those numbers will give you the error code and point you in the right direction. As 98PC said, likely suspects are the power supply PCB and RAM. Check the code and report back.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got a multimeter and plan to dive in tomorrow. The power supply looks nice so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't reconditioned at some point (or replaced).

The motherboard has lights 2-3 on. Need to grab the manual to see what that means.