Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splatterhouse

Insert Coin (Level 0) dchristie74's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Splatterhouse

whats the best port of the splatterhouse games. So far i have the first for turbographx and II for genesis. Haven't come across the III yet.

www.thevideogamecollector.weebly.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) William_the_Saint's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first three Splatterhouse games are unlockables in the 360/PS3 version of Splatterhouse (1st arcade and the 2 & 3 are the genesis games) if your interested. They seem to run fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dchristie74's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is it an actual port of the aracade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably just emulation.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Turbo Splatter1, Gen Splatter2 and 3 are the ONLY ports that exist, except for the emulations included in the new Splatterhouse.

The Turbo Splatterhouse isn't quite arcade-perfect but its pretty good.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

As stated earlier, Splatterhouse for the TG16 is not an arcade perfect port. The core game itself is intact, but a lot of things were cut: some enemies were removed, animation sequences, background and foreground details, sound effects. The US version had a few other changes too: among them, Rick's mask was changed, the Evil Cross was removed and replaced with a character called "Evil Sleep," and the cross that marks Hell Chaos' grave was changed to a tombstone.

The closest thing you'll find to an arcade-perfect port of Splatterhouse are the FM Towns port or the 2003 Windows port. However, both were Japanese exclusives.

Splatterhouse 2 and 3 were not ports of any pre-existing Splatterhouse games. Those were original creations for the Mega Drive/Genesis. There are differences between the Japanese and U.S. versions, especially Splatterhouse 2: Rick's mask has yet again been changed for the international release and the story in the Japanese version is a little more clear-cut than the slightly vague U.S. story.

The ports included with Splatterhouse '10 are fairly accurate; however, there are some emulation issues. Some sound effects are missing from the arcade game and there's some flickering in the HUD in certain parts. 2 and 3 both play fine, but the music is a bit slower and some of the sound effects are garbled or sped up (or both).

For more information about the series, visit my Splatterhouse site, West Mansion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    The closest thing you'll find to an arcade-perfect port of Splatterhouse are the FM Towns port or the 2003 Windows port. However, both were Japanese exclusives.
    That being said, you don't need to know much Japanese to play Splatterhouse.

I'd like to hunt down that PC version...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie74 View Post
    whats the best port of the splatterhouse games. So far i have the first for turbographx and II for genesis. Haven't come across the III yet.

www.thevideogamecollector.weebly.com
    I think they are all pretty good.

www.robohara.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    That being said, you don't need to know much Japanese to play Splatterhouse.
    This is true, and to my knowledge you can run the PC port on an American (etc) PC. The FM Towns game, on the other hand, would require an FM Towns or FM Towns Marty to run, and IIRC the FM Towns line never made it out of Japan.

Of course, there's always FM Towns emulation, if you're really desperate to play the port and don't have a boatload of cash to shell out for the game and console. Splatterhouse does get to be pretty pricey too, last I saw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I like the TG16 one..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fortunately the japanese PC port isn't too rare or expensive. Picked up a sealed one during my japanese pc game collecting phase for about $10-15.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Will the PC one work with an Interact Hammerhead FX?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I used to love playing the original at my local mall arcade. One of the first games I hunted down for the Turbo was Splatterhouse. The gameplay was there, the graphics weren't all that great, and the audio was severely degraded. I loved the sound effects of the original, and was seriously disappointed in the Turbo game's weak sound. The game was still fun to play, but without good audio I just didn't want to play it very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah I think most people who played the arcade one felt disappointed with the Turbo one. It's at heart the same game we all loved, but its missing some of the creepy (that weird wall thing that would eventually show up if you took too long in a level? Nowhere in the Turbo version).

I wouldn't mind owning an arcade PCB if I can't get my hands on that PC version.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get the PC version of Splatter House here in Japan extremely cheaply. Mine was 65 yen, which is 84 US cents. I had to pay for shipping though, but it was still cheap. I haven't even opened it yet. Anyway the box says it works on versions of Windows from 95 to XP, and I assume it'll work on Vista and 7. There are two box styles, one with a standard CD case, the other is like a DVD case.

There are interesting graphical glitches on the original PCB not emulated in MAME, and maybe not in the PC version.
    Watch this video and notice that part of Rick disappears at about 0:22.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLeXfp_GF_g

It also happens on my PCB, and on a PCB I saw running in Tokyo. Other System 1 games like Dragon Spirit have this glitch too, I nearly went mad trying to fix my PCBs until I found that it was common on other boards.

I have all of the Splatter House games, except the newest one, since it wasn't released here in Japan and I don't have the newer consoles anyway.

I actually managed to get a brand new sealed copy of the FM Towns version for 6000 yen just over three years ago. Something of a once in a lifetime occurence, for me at least.

Oh, and many thanks for the West Mansion site, I've read it many times over.
    Last edited by an_turtar; 12-10-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I used to love playing the original at my local mall arcade. One of the first games I hunted down for the Turbo was Splatterhouse. The gameplay was there, the graphics weren't all that great, and the audio was severely degraded. I loved the sound effects of the original, and was seriously disappointed in the Turbo game's weak sound. The game was still fun to play, but without good audio I just didn't want to play it very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Yeah I think most people who played the arcade one felt disappointed with the Turbo one. It's at heart the same game we all loved, but its missing some of the creepy (that weird wall thing that would eventually show up if you took too long in a level? Nowhere in the Turbo version).
    Now imagine it going in the opposite direction: I played the TG16 version first, then discovered the arcade game in one of Universal Studios Florida's arcades about a year later. I was totally blown away by the details that had been removed and the original audio (just hearing those Water Dead moans for the first time floored me), and IIRC I spent most of my money playing it.

Then we left and I never saw another original Splatterhouse arcade cab again. So I had to be content with the TG16 port if I wanted a Splatterhouse fix, at least until the arcade game was emulated. To this day I still fire it up and play through it when I have my Duo connected, even though I have two ways to play the original now.

Quote Originally Posted by an_turtar View Post
    You can get the PC version of Splatter House here in Japan extremely cheaply. Mine was 65 yen, which is 84 US cents. I had to pay for shipping though, but it was still cheap. I haven't even opened it yet. Anyway the box says it works on versions of Windows from 95 to XP, and I assume it'll work on Vista and 7. There are two box styles, one with a standard CD case, the other is like a DVD case.

There are interesting graphical glitches on the original PCB not emulated in MAME, and maybe not in the PC version.

It also happens on my PCB, and on a PCB I saw ruinning in Tokyo. Other System 1 games like Dragon Spirit have this glitch too, I nearly went mad trying to fix my PCBs until I found that it was common on other boards.
    This is interesting info. No one else that I've ever talked to has brought it up before.

I have all of the Splatter House games, except the newest one, since it wasn't released here in Japan and I don't have the newer consoles anyway.
    It's worth picking up if you do get one. Fun game, probably my most played 360 game of 2010.

I actually managed to get a brand new sealed copy of the FM Towns version for 6000 yen just over three years ago. Something of a once in a lifetime occurence, for me at least.
    Man, I'd love to stumble on a deal like that. My Splatterhouse console collection is still incomplete: I'm lacking the FM Towns port, as well as Splatterhouse Part 2 and Part 3 for the Mega Drive. Maybe someday I'll be able to finish it up.

Oh, and many thanks for the West Mansion site, I've read it many times over.
    You're welcome - glad you've enjoyed it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just thought I'd pass this on since it came in my email today. Namco has the new Splatterhouse for sale on their site at $20, plus it includes a mask from the game.
    http://store.namcobandaigames.com/st...-XBOX-360.html

No clue what shipping is though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Just thought I'd pass this on since it came in my email today. Namco has the new Splatterhouse for sale on their site at $20, plus it includes a mask from the game.
    http://store.namcobandaigames.com/st...-XBOX-360.html

No clue what shipping is though.
    The mask is really cool. I got mine when I pre ordered the game. The ONLY reason I pre ordered it from Lamestop. It's bigger than you would think too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by an_turtar

It also happens on my PCB, and on a PCB I saw running in Tokyo. Other System 1 games like Dragon Spirit have this glitch too, I nearly went mad trying to fix my PCBs until I found that it was common on other boards.

This is interesting info. No one else that I've ever talked to has brought it up before.
    One of the main problems is that very rarely do you get to see the actual PCB running, quite often it's just emulation on youtube etc. The emulation of the System I boards in MAME is "too good" as it were. The problem on Dragon Spirit annoyed me so much I got another board, and then found it had the exact same problem. Saw another board in a Tokyo arcade the same, so I know what I've got is fine. When I found the Splatter House PCB in Tokyo, I had to wait for a guy to finish the whole game just to have a go to see if it had the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    It's worth picking up if you do get one. Fun game, probably my most played 360 game of 2010.
    Splatter House '10 is available here in Japan, imported from the US. I might get it if I can do so cheaply. I'd be interested in that mask that's being given away, though I'm guessing they won't ship to me.
    Here are the rest of my games.

Quote Originally Posted by an_turtar

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Man, I'd love to stumble on a deal like that. My Splatterhouse console collection is still incomplete: I'm lacking the FM Towns port, as well as Splatterhouse Part 2 and Part 3 for the Mega Drive. Maybe someday I'll be able to finish it up.
    I bought that game from an online shop as "used". Was amazed to find it sealed. Sold it on ebay for just over $300 and bought another FM Towns version for not much more. I figured I might as well make some money to keep me going. Actually I might sell the FM Towns version, especially if I can't get employment next year. The only other Towns games I have are the Lucasarts adventures.

I think overall the best version to go for now is probably the PC version if you neither have a JAMMA setup or an FM Towns, presuming you can get the PC version. Otherwise the PC Engine version would probably have to do.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I'd like to point out is that the PC Engine version differs significantly from the Turbo Grafx version. There's less censorship, obviously, but also the stages are in a different order and, oddly, the jump mechanics are a lot easier. Out of the two, the PC Engine version is preferred as far as I'm concerned.

I had no idea that the Splatterhouse 1 game on the new Splatterhouse was the arcade version. I'm really going to have to pick that game up now.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com