Thread: Just some general SNES lovin'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile Just some general SNES lovin'

Just want to express your love/fondness for this great system? Do it here.

Man, SNES will forever rock. I'm coming up on 6 years since I got back into this system, after loving it from 1991-1999 roughly, and my fire still burns as much today as it did nearly 6 years ago when I repurchased the SNES. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this system and its amazing library.

In fact, I'm already salivating at the idea that it's now been over four years since I last beat games like LTTP, Super Mario World and Super Metroid that I have forgotten enough where if I were to play through them again today, they would be relatively fresh experiences.

And there are still a handful of "classics" and personal undiscovered gems I've yet to play. SNES: the true friend that keeps on giving, and doesn't ask for anything much in return. A great friend, especially at the end of a long, productive day taking care of biz. Or when you're gone on a night out on the town catching up with old friends, SNES always sits there patiently at home, waiting to whisk you away to a land of 16-bit wonder and mystique.

A salute to the best system ever (IMO) that keeps on ticking, keeps on giving.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here here. I still have the SNES I got as a kid nearly 20 years ago, still chugging along. I still work away at my website, investigating all the rare and unusual stuff that has never got the spotlight.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I was a SEGA kid back in the day and Nintnendo was the enemy so for a long time I was pretty dismissive of the SNES as the other console. I played a few games at friends houses occasionally but my pride belonged to SEGA so I really wasn't interested in it as a kid. I had seen what Nintendo had done on the NES at friends houses earlier and outside of a few titles wasn't very impressed in their console offerings.

That gradually changed when my older brother first exposed me to the world of emulators in the late 90's and I got to play a ton of great SNES games that I had shunned for so long. It literally felt like a Super Nintendo in the sense that all the "classic" NES games that I never really cared for like Metroid, Zelda, Contra, etc. were tons better on the SNES in practically every way. I was really impressed by the overall ambiance and beauty of Super Metroid and the same with Link to the Past. One of the few NES games I did enjoy was Super Mario Land 3 and World IMO blew it completely outta the water in every aspect. As the JRPG was shining in all its PS1 glory, I gradually looked back on their roots on the SNES. Final Fantasy VI quickly became one of my favorite all time RPGs and is routinely rotated with VII and VIII as my favorite of the series. In the age when 3D was the new dominate force in gaming Chrono Trigger made me look back to how gorgeous a 2D game could be.

Just this year I picked up my own SNES and have been enjoying real games playing on the real system since. I can't help but stress that the SNES really was a "Super" Nintendo in improving on basically every aspect that mattered to this gamer. My first 16-bit love will always be the Genesis but the SNES will always get respect for the many amazing titles released on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never owned SNES as a kid - we were a Genesis family - but I bought one a few years ago and my simple enjoyment of this system has blossomed into a serious mission to collect every game. I wouldn't have 300 games for this system if it wasn't fantastic! I wouldn't have built red oak shelves if I wasn't proud of my SNES games. I wouldn't spend hours and hours cleaning these games and going through the trouble of reselling the duplicates if it didn't have such a robust history worth preserving.

I've got nothing but love for this system!

I love me some NES, I enjoyed Genesis and Gameboy and N64 and all of the other great systems of yesteryear, but for me, SNES takes the cake.
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-08-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coming up on 4 years for me since I got into retro gaming. I still have my SNES I bought used at funcoland back in the late 90s. We had a Genesis in the house for the early 90s.

Although not my #1 or #2, my SNES is in my rotation of old consoles. The negative for me with the SNES is most of the games I want are rather pricey.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    The negative for me with the SNES is most of the games I want are rather pricey.
    Yeah, Genesis games are notably cheaper. I'm a little late to the table, but I'm trying to complete my SNES collection before all of the rares quadruple in price.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I like the Super Nintendo, but I wish they hadn't changed the case when they brought it over to America. The Japanese & PAL ones look so much cooler. Also, mine's got the faulty plastic on top so it's all yellow and ugly now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I absolutely loved the launch(or near launch) titles, I was still very much a Sega fanatic at the time, so I was content to play SNES at friends' houses.

That changed as soon as Street Fighter II was announced as an exclusive, which was only true in the strictest sense. I weaseled my parents into getting me one as soon as I read the news, and when the game got released in japan, I paid an arm and a leg to import it and be the first kid around to own the game.
    Of course, by the time SFIISCE was released for the Genesis, I was too smitten with the SNES to even care about that, and I never regretted getting the SNES. I wouldn't say I 'switched sides' so much as I just stopped taking sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Although I absolutely loved the launch(or near launch) titles, I was still very much a Sega fanatic at the time, so I was content to play SNES at friends' houses.

That changed as soon as Street Fighter II was announced as an exclusive, which was only true in the strictest sense. I weaseled my parents into getting me one as soon as I read the news, and when the game got released in japan, I paid an arm and a leg to import it and be the first kid around to own the game.
    Of course, by the time SFIISCE was released for the Genesis, I was too smitten with the SNES to even care about that, and I never regretted getting the SNES. I wouldn't say I 'switched sides' so much as I just stopped taking sides.
    Street Fighter II made the SNES a must buy for me as well. The L and R shoulder buttons were horribly abused on my SNES controllers from all the Street Fighter II action they saw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its my favorite console by far,back then in the early 90's I had a sega as well but my snes got all of the attention.
    Last edited by Pikkon; 12-09-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Same here. I started with a Genesis and NES simultaneously. Genesis was newer so all the games I got were new while NES was old so all the games except for two of them were used the first time I got them. That also meant NES games were cheap surprises I would get at random times throughout the year while Genesis games were reserved for birthdays and Christmas.

A year and a half later the SNES joined the scene and pretty soon it took the spotlight. I would often decide to ask for certain games either based on commercials or store's ads. The SNES games just seemed to have artwork and characters that jumped out at me more while the only thing on Sega that got me super excited was the next Sonic game. Games about cartoon characters just didn't excite me as much even though I got plenty of those on Genesis without having to ask for them, and still enjoyed them a lot.

Since NES games were really cheap and SNES games had more depth with the save feature being more common, I ended up playing those two systems about equally with the Genesis just a little bit less.

My uncle also gave me his loose cartridges for SNES all the time when he was done with certain ones so that even got me playing fighters, sports and racing games I wouldn't have otherwise asked for. He also had Genesis but I think he only had it for the exclusives so the only loose Genesis game he gave me was X-Men 2, which was awesome for an X-Men game at the time.

In later years, the Super Game Boy made it so I spent a lot of my Game Boy play time on the SNES as well. I had a Game Boy Pocket back then and had beaten 7 games or so. The Super Game Boy made me decide to play through them all again. Even after getting the Nintendo 64 I played it a lot when I wanted something different and couldn't afford any brand new games.

I never really got any RPGs for SNES besides Final Fantasy 6 back then and I never really got into buying them much in later years, but I have always wanted to try them out because I know they are good. I've started files on plenty of them before and liked what I saw but never really focused on them because I was paying more attention to Playstation RPGs.

With that being the case, I know for sure that I have many, many hours of new SNES experiences in my future. Haha the only SNES RPG I've beaten without Game Genie yet was the Dragon Quest I remake.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I got my SNES for Christmas the launch year. I remember it being strange, as the corner video store already had games up for rent.

Fun fact, the very first topic I made on these forums were about getting my SNES fixed. Sadly, it still doesn't work, but that's ok. I play most of my old games via emulator now.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I've been loving the SNES since launch, when a friend got it, Super Mario World (of course) and F-Zero. I got mine close to a year later, and the first games I got for it were Gradius III, Super Castlevania IV and Contra III: The Alien Wars. I had to pick up a replacement console last year when my original finally died (although I'm still keeping it around, in the hopes that I can possibly have it fixed some day). I have it hooked up right now. My kids have been playing it quite a bit recently, usually playing some of their games (IIRC, they have Mario Paint, Sailor Moon R, Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures, Kendo Rage and Super Bonk), but they love going through my collection too.

It's not my favorite console of all time - first place goes to the NES, second place to the Genesis - but it's right behind them (followed by the TG16 and SMS, for those of you keeping score). Next to the Famicom, it's the console I own the most imports for.

Larger pic

Top row: Akumajo Dracula XX, Contra Spirits, Parodius Da!, Gokujou Parodius, Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
    2nd row: Pop'n Twinbee, Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyuushutsu Emaki, Sparkster, Assault Suits Valken, Hagane
    3rd row: Edono Kiba, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie, Super Back to the Future Part II, The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes, GS Mikami: Joreishi wa Nice Body
    Bottom row: Super Valis: Akaki Tsuki no Otome, Cameltry

Most of these are boxed, but I keep the boxes in storage (since I collect to play, I keep the boxes packed away and the carts loose - yet still protected - for easy access). I've got a nice stack of U.S. releases too, among them Gradius III, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Axelay, Sunset Riders, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Demon's Crest, U.N. Squadron, Actraiser, Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Super Metroid. No pictures of that half of the collection though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I will never forget seeing Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the Snes running in a shop and my jaw dropped,it was the ship graveyard level and it made me purchase a snes of my own.Some games i love which first appeared on the system like F-Zero,Starfox and Mario Kart have remained classic and i think that sequels of these games on later systems (Especially the N64) were not as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Got my SNES near launch, was impressed with a friends system with SMW, Pilotwings, and F0Zero, I hadn't seen stuff like that in my life. These days I have fewer SNES games than I do Genesis titles (price and stuff I like being harder to find keep it lower), but Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Castelvania IV, Contra 3, the Parodius titles, Gradius 3 (<3 my Gradius), and Pop N Twinbee make the SNES one hell of a system to own. While stuff like Sunset Riders got censored, what remains there is a game that is still fun to get a buddy to play with you.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Animaniac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the SNES for my eighth birthday in 1993. It got me through a lot of tough times. After I got the N64, it went down the basement. About 15-16 years I dug it back out...AND IT WORKED! Soon, 17 games became 200.

It's an obsession.
    NA SNES collection: 200/724
    Incoming: Nothing
    Last acquired: Too many to mention
    View my collection here (in glorious text-o-vision!)
    http://vgcollect.com/snesmaster

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, and how could I forget the SNES controller. Goddamn I loved that thing, last controller I really enjoyed using. It was just so sleek and comfortable.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jwmollman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Oh, and how could I forget the SNES controller. Goddamn I loved that thing, last controller I really enjoyed using. It was just so sleek and comfortable.
    Agree with you completely on that one. It's such a basic design, but yet the most comfortable to hold. Those things were built like a tank, too. I remember being stupid as a kid trying to get Turn and Burn: No-Fly Zone to work. I remember trying to get the jet to launch off the runway and couldn't figure out the button combinations to do so. (I think it was just hold B and press UP.) I was literally jumping on that controller with my heels trying to get that thing to take off. It still works to this day, and didn't receive any damage at all.

The Super Nintendo is my favorite console of all time. I still use our family's original from the early 90s, and it's still kicking. I cleaned up most of the dirt from over the years on the outside with rubbing alcohol and a tissue (q-tip in the hard to reach areas). I opened it up one day to perform the first internal cleaning and found a big dust ball about the size of a golf ball (not as dense) near the front left of the console, as well as some more dust balls all about. This thing lives a new life now. I bought a new S-Video cable, as well as a (better) AC adapter from my friend. Our original AC adapter had to be laid on its side in order to work. I also took apart the controller and cleaned each individual piece to make everything look as new as possible.

The only downside is the minor yellowing on the bottom frame of the console. It's not too bad, but the plastic is weaker on the bottom than anywhere else. I noticed a small piece of the corner cracked easily, but no biggie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

i got mine on day one, and still have the same one..Works great, never had any issues with it...Love the StarWars games, Super Metroid, Super Punchout, Zelda and many many more..The list could go on for a long time.