Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fortune Street for Wii-Say wha?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Fortune Street for Wii-Say wha?!

Tonight I received an email from Nintendo advertising this new video board game called "Fortune Street", containing characters from the Mario games, Dragon Warrior and such. I followed the link and watched.

What the heck...it's like Monopoly but seemingly more complex with the ability to invest along with changing board shapes, power ups and more. I have no idea how I feel about this game or what to think of it. With the lineup of characters and the mixing of concepts, I...I just don't know. Maybe it's because I had a long day and the brain is too tired to wrap itself around this title, but it's just out there for me.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Could it be fun? Could it be a sleeper hit?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm just amazed that an Itadaki Street title is coming to the US. Definitely wasn't expecting that to ever happen.

This is actually a very long running series in Japan, so the concept and character lineups themselves are old news to me. I have no idea myself if the games are any fun, but I guess if they've been so successful in Japan, then they can't be terrible.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 12-08-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What I particularly like about the Itadaki Street series is it solved a problem I have with the Mario Party series. You've got a crazy little board full of adventure and wonder, and four guys throwing power ups at each other as they make their way around in this battle for stars. A battle that is interrupted every few minutes with an annoying ass mini-game.

Most of the Itadaki Street games I've played didn't have mini-games, and if they did, they were simple 'choose the thing' type games that took less than a second to resolve. It's basically Monopoly with Nintendo characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Could it be a sleeper hit?
    Come now, when was the last time something with Mario's name slapped upon it was a "sleeper hit"?

A better question might be: if it really takes off, will an English translation of the version with the Final Fantasy characters be released on PSN?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember hearing about this some time ago, but, apparently, I quickly forgot about. After reading the reviews, I must say that this game looks to be quite intriguing. It seems to be kind of like Monopoly, except that it is way more complex and involves far more plotting and planning and market manipulation. It is definitely on my want list now.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    but I guess if they've been so successful in Japan, then they can't be terrible.

Sorry, I had to.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've spent a little time with Itadaki Street 2. Not sure what I was doing, but the slime board was a neat little surprise. I'll pick up the Wii version one of these days and hopefully it'll all make sense.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Tonight I received an email from Nintendo advertising this new video board game called "Fortune Street", containing characters from the Mario games, Dragon Warrior and such. I followed the link and watched.

What the heck...it's like Monopoly but seemingly more complex with the ability to invest along with changing board shapes, power ups and more. I have no idea how I feel about this game or what to think of it. With the lineup of characters and the mixing of concepts, I...I just don't know. Maybe it's because I had a long day and the brain is too tired to wrap itself around this title, but it's just out there for me.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Could it be fun? Could it be a sleeper hit?
    I'm so tempted to go buy this. However, I am just as confused as you are lol...

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post

Sorry, I had to.
    Can you name any series that's been around for 20 years and gets great sales and high praise but is still completely awful for those entire 20 years? Because I can't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    A better question might be: if it really takes off, will an English translation of the version with the Final Fantasy characters be released on PSN?
    My wife saw this info about Fortune Street the other day, and told me that the Command Board game in Kingdoms Hearts:Birth By Sleep is just like what she saw of Fortune Street. Not the same game exactly but she was surprised to know that it was such a long running series in Japan as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can you name any series that's been around for 20 years and gets great sales and high praise but is still completely awful for those entire 20 years? Because I can't.
    Well I happen to think Dragon Quest is archaic, unintuitive, and stale to the point of near frustration. And yet it practically gets a national holiday in Japan. So...yeah, that was pretty much what I was getting at. Itagaki Street may very well be a fantastic series. But I don't see the correlation. I don't think huge success in Japan is necessarily correlated to anything other than whether or not a game is successful in Japan.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 12-09-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'm actually watching Cornshaq play the game unrehearsed with some friends - looks like I'll be buying this one.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Well I happen to think Dragon Quest is archaic, unintuitive, and stale to the point of near frustration. And yet it practically gets a national holiday in Japan. So...yeah, that was pretty much what I was getting at. Itagaki Street may very well be a fantastic series. But I don't see the correlation. I don't think huge success in Japan is necessarily correlated to anything other than whether or not a game is successful in Japan.
    Well, my point is that, personal feelings aside, for a series to last that long and see that level of success, more people than not must feel that at least some of the games are high quality. Dragon Quest is well-loved in Japan, and it's only getting more and more popular in the US, which is probably why Nintendo would consider bringing over this version of Itadaki Street, with Dragon Quest characters, to the US (and why they published Dragon Quest IX themselves in the US and even did a big Dragon Quest event at Nintendo World in NYC). And in fairness to Dragon Quest, you can't call at least the first game archaic and stale, considering it was new and innovative for its time and inspired just about every Japanese RPG that came later. Not that I can't relate to not liking mega-popular franchises, but I accept that my view is in the minority. And even if they're not my cup of tea, a hugely popular series is generally still playable. It's not like it's going to be like Action 52 or something, so that's what I was getting at about it not being terrible if it's so popular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, yeah. I wasn't implying that Dragon Quest doesn't function or outright crashes on a regular basis. But games that do are on a whole other level of "terrible" and are never really at issue. It's almost pointless to bring that up as an issue though when somebody says a game is "terrible." If a game is terrible like Action 52 is terrible that'll be readily apparent.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Give or take five games and not even those if a good portion of the internet is to be believed.
    Last edited by JSoup; 12-09-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

this just showed up yesterday at work, does any one have any input on the game?
    it looks interesting, definitly doesent look like a game that will well well and havent sold a single copy yet. it kind of seems like a trial thing to test the waters to be honest considering the limited number of copies we got as well.
    i can see some potental of it being a good game as well as a rarity but i am not sure if i want to spend $50 or if i want to risk waiting for a price drop and not being able to get the game new ever.

its something i would turn my wii on for......hasnt been on in over a year, xbox in over 2, PS3 ..... constantly

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought this game just the other day and I have to say it is incredibly fun. If you like monopoly with extras, then you will like this game. The best way to play though is everything on a higher speed because all the characters have their own sayings so it can take up to 2 hrs to play one game.
    You go around the board buying up property and collecting card types, spade, diamond, heart, club. Once you get all the card types you try to pass the bank which gives you a bonus payout and option to buy stocks, if you own stocks in an area, regardless if someone owns property there you gain interest. In between all of this there are squares which bring up a very brief mini-game to play. Sometimes it is just you and sometimes it is everyone playing. There are tons of board designs to choose from as well. The goal is to gain as much money as you can to meet the goal amount. You also have an option to buy someone elses property when you land on it at a slightly higher value, so it does add a nice challenge as well.
    This game is not getting a lot of press regardless of Mario being on the cover, but I do suggest picking it up if you have someone you like to play board game with.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

For anyone outside of the US, I believe it's called "Boom Street" instead.