Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Remaining GBA 3DS Ambassador games announced

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Snagged them all before I was off to work.

I've got 10 little boxes to unwrap later today!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

They work quite well on the 3DS and are much more bearable than the NES games that were given to us before because these were designed with the small screen in mind where the NES games were not. Still I managed to beat Super Mario Bros. twice in a row on my 3DS so the NES ones aren't terrible or anything.

I would like to see more Game Boy Advance on the 3DS in the distant future as the 3DS has a much more comfortable controller with that thumbstick there. It would make ports of games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance much easier to control too.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Just so you know these games are for Ambassadors only, otherwise known as people who bought the 3DS before the price drop. So if you have a 3DS from after the price drop you won't be getting these games.

Somebody was telling me that he read somewhere that people have been able to get the ambassador's certificate, even thought they just bought their 3DS recently. Supposedly it is a glitch with the Nintendo servers, and there is some certain way to trick it into giving you the ambassador's certificate, and they they were able to download all the games and they have all the games working, even though they bought their 3DS after the cutoff.

Has anybody else heard anything about this?

I have a brand new, factory sealed 3DS sitting a closet right now (one of my sons's Xmas gifts), and I would try to carefully open it, and try to get the newest firmware, etc, etc, and see if I can get this ambassador's certificate, but the problem is that I haven't seen anywhere on the net of other people talking about this, so I wonder if it's just some fake rumor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I imagining things, or does the color seem really washed out in the GBA games?

Also, you can play them with unscaled graphics by holding select + start while you press A to load the game (same as with original DS games).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    Am I imagining things, or does the color seem really washed out in the GBA games?

Also, you can play them with unscaled graphics by holding select + start while you press A to load the game (same as with original DS games).
    Mmmm ... no, I'm not noticing any lack of color saturation, in fact, I think Metroid looks pretty stunning on the 3DS's screen (last time I played it was on the front lit GBA SP).

How about you, have you noticed a significant boost in the overall volume of the system since the latest firmware update or am I imagining things?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Mmmm ... no, I'm not noticing any lack of color saturation, in fact, I think Metroid looks pretty stunning on the 3DS's screen (last time I played it was on the front lit GBA SP).

How about you, have you noticed a significant boost in the overall volume of the system since the latest firmware update or am I imagining things?
    I think the volume of mine was already that loud, but yeah I don't think the games look bad at all. I don't see why someone would even want to hold start and select to shrink the size of the GBA screen, but at least when you do that with regular Game Boy titles it shows a border that resembles a DMG-001 Game Boy, and if you turn 3D on while doing do, the game kinda sinks into the fake Game Boy's screen while the fake Game Boy border pops out at you.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I'm disappointed that there aren't save states for the GBA games, like there are for the GB and NES games. It seems that would have been easy to implement.

I also don't understand the message about closing the 3DS not causing the 3DS to go to sleep when playing a GBA game. I haven't noticed this with other game types, did I just miss it? I've never played a DS game on the 3DS, I have a DSi XL for that, so maybe that also happens with DS games, and I just don't know it.

Pretty good lineup, and I think they play great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I'm disappointed that there aren't save states for the GBA games, like there are for the GB and NES games. It seems that would have been easy to implement.

I also don't understand the message about closing the 3DS not causing the 3DS to go to sleep when playing a GBA game. I haven't noticed this with other game types, did I just miss it? I've never played a DS game on the 3DS, I have a DSi XL for that, so maybe that also happens with DS games, and I just don't know it.

Pretty good lineup, and I think they play great!
    Most DS games have a sleep mode when you close the hinge while everything is powered on.

A lot of the 1st party Nintendo stuff has specialized sound effects when you go in and out of sleep mode, we even have a thread about it!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157292

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Most DS games have a sleep mode when you close the hinge while everything is powered on.

A lot of the 1st party Nintendo stuff has specialized sound effects when you go in and out of sleep mode, we even have a thread about it!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157292
    Then it's only GBA emulated games that stop the 3DS from going into sleep mode. I just tried with an NES title, a GB title, and a GBC title. In all three cases, closing the lid causes the 3DS to sleep (the blue power light fades in and out). That's not the case for GBA games, strangely enough.