Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 5 or so odd years later , has your opinion changed on ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my backwards compatible PS3 back in September after having it about 3.5 years. In the whole time I owned it, I purchased 3 games, and barely played any of them. I used it far more to play PS1/PS2 games, the occasional Mega Man 9/10, and for Blu-Ray/Netflix than anything else, but it still sat idle for months at a time.

I do plan on getting a slim closer to the end of the console's life span, as I didn't sell my 7 or so Blu-ray movies or any of the good games. Heck, I even bought a copy of Bayonetta for PS3 on clearance 10 minutes after I sold the thing. In the short term though, I had better uses for the money I got for it and I don't have to worry about YLOD on what was a first revision model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

I purchased my 60gb PS3 when they hit $500, barely played it at the time but I finished around 5 games or so It died with YLOD a few months outside warranty and I wasn't going to pay Sony the ridiculous fee for just a reflow with 3 month guarantee so I've been without it all these years. Sucks because I could not watch my blu-ray boxsets >.<

My colleague had an 80gb PS3 so I still was allowed to enjoy PS3 fun, but his died to YLOD during Thanksgiving 2011 :/ I am not really happy with Sony, atleast my crappy 360 was replaced for free since its warranty was extended. I am ex IT/Hardware and take immaculate care of my possessions so I'm not really too happy with most of this current generation hardware and software(even my Wii's disc drive buzzed hardcore but Nintendo replaced it free of charge though they could not replicate the problem) except for handhelds so I won't be picking up a replacement PS3 until it hits $99 sadly.
    Feedback
    CAG: 1. 2.
    Ebay: jupitersj
    DP: jupitersj

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Well damn. DAMN DAMN DAMN! My opinion just changed. got the YLOD tonight in the middle of some Dark Souls. And I've been boasting around here about how awesome I am for putting new thermal compound on my system so I don't have to worry about it for the past 6 mo. or so. So much for that! Grumble grumble. Not that I'm swearing off PS3s now, I'm just looking for a good deal on a slim... don't think the repair route is worth it.

I can hardly believe how little a ylod 60 is worth on ebay.
    Well. You can send it in for $150 for a refurbished version of the same model. That's what I'm going to do if mine ever dies. As cheap as they are on Ebay now, I was thinking of buying up a bunch of YLOD 60GBs on Ebay and then send them to Sony to get refurbished consoles. Have a bunch of working and refurbished 60GBs in stock just in case, you know?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    ALL new Blu-Ray movie playing devices are now required to only do 480p or better on HDMI. If you use analog cables with a new device, movie playback is supposed to be limited to 480i. This is the result of the Blu DRM group stepping up their control. It looks like it was supposed to happen at the very beginning of 2011, so it is a little surprising that it took until June for it to hit the PS3. So in my opinion this isn't really a complaint that should be directed (only) at the PS3, since it applies to all BD players.
    I hope this doesn't get patched into older consoles later-on. (If it can be done, that is.)
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    I hope this doesn't get patched into older consoles later-on. (If it can be done, that is.)
    I thought this was already in the newer firmware revisions, not certain though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

My Opinion has drastically changed on PS3 since it came out in '06. I thought it was just another overpriced game console with no notable games for it (Except for Motorstorm). 6 years later, the PS3 has proved to the better console in my own humble opinion with such original franchises as LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, InFamous, and God Of War and not to mention exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots and the original Demon Souls. The numerous remastered collections of older games has made it the ultimate gaming console of this generation in my opinion plus it even has paved the way for the Blu-Ray technology to a mass audience. just like what the PS2 did for DVDs . The Only disadvantage is that some games such as Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas are pretty glitchy compared to their XBOX counterpart :/

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Jack Of Hearts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My opinion of the PS3 has definitely changed since I first saw it back in 2006. It first started in 2008 when I bought the MGS4 bundle since I wanted to play Metal Gear Solid 4 so bad. From 2008 to 2010 I would only use my PS3 for the occasional exclusive, or watching some Blu-Rays. Last year I decided I wanted to try out more game on the PS3, with turned out to be a great idea as I started to like playing most of games on one system as opposed to three.

From 2008 to now my opinion has changed from using my PS3 for a few games, and Blu-Rays to my main console of choice for my gaming needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    So, the most disappointing thing about the PS3 is that you have to play it? The system would be better if there were no exclusives? But then it sounds like you wouldn't play the PS3. Maybe it's just me, but this is a strange comment about making the PS3 better.

Yeah, I know that my comment must seem kinda out of left field. All I can say is that I was primarily a console only gamer, and then I recently switched over to the PC. The main reason I switched over, is to try to almost get a new, next-generation console type feel with my games. It's been so long since a new console has released, so I kinda treat my gaming PC like a brand new console. The games are basically the same at 360 and PS3, since it's mostly console ports. The only real difference with the gaming PC is being able to run all the games at 60 frames per second, and being able to run it in 1080p resolution. You can also have very video effects maxed out. On certain games, the difference between the PC version and the console counterpart is absolutely striking. On other games, not so much.

What I meant in regards to the PS3, is that I really love a bunch of PS3 games, but they never get ported over to the PC. I'm talking about games like Infamous and Uncharted, etc, etc. If you look at the Xbox exclusives, they seem to eventually find their way to PC. Stuff like Fable, and Alan Wake is supposedly coming to PC. I just wish that also happened with the PS3 games. I know it's kind of a silly thing to think about from the standpoint that I'm talking about playing them on a different platform altogether (the PC). I still play my PS3, and still love it, but I still think it would be cool to play a game like Infamous on PC in 1080p at 60 frames with every visual effect set to the highest quality.

It's the graphic whore inside me.....