Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 or so odd years later , has your opinion changed on ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 5 or so odd years later , has your opinion changed on ps3?

honestly I dont think the exclusives arent as bad as people make em out to be im actually enjoying the console this year.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Think I'll skip the PS3 and wait until the PS4, unless they go real cheap, like Wii prices, $149.99.

I actually think the PS3 has become worse, no Linux option, no PS2 support, and not too many exclusives that I'm dying for. Maybe I'll pick up Little Big Planet 1 and 2, and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Nope. Downloads still brick the system from doing anything else while they are processing, I still don't boot it up and even though I tend to buy almost all the exclusives for it (save the Move stuff) I still don't play them. 4 years of PS3 ownership still = me having played Beautiful Katamari, and a few DLC games (Pain, Noby Noby Boy, Fat Princess), despite owning 30 or 40 games.

Give me mah 360.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was looking into getting a PS3 five years ago, but the price drove me away. Jump ahead three years and I learned that I could get near new systems for a tenth of the cost on Craigslist and it's now the most used gaming console in my home.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I didn't find the PS3 too impressive for the first few years after launch and I ended up getting into PC gaming around the same time so I saw little point in getting another console. This was also still around the time when many of the games coming out for both 360 and PS3 were still available on their respective previous gen incarnations and frankly didn't looks much different outside of some lighting effects so I was unconvinced for a while. The 360 was the more likely console to get my cash because early on it seemed that many of the PS2 exclusives I enjoyed like Ace Combat were jumping ship to the new console or at the very least were going multiplatform.

The only thing that really pushed me into picking up a PS3 was in the later half of 2008 some new friends of mine were messing around a recently acquired PS3 and a bunch of games. In among those games was COD4 and I haven't had as good of time playing a console FPS since Red Faction. The original intent was just to play COD4 to play with friends but then remembering things like the recently released MGS4, and upcoming GT5 and Final Fantasy solidified my purchase.

Overall I've grown to really like the PS3, despite some of its issues. What it really comes down to for me are the games and the PS3 simply has more and IMO better exclusives then the 360, which is something I would of regretted had I invested in a 360 instead at this point. The differences in online experience between the PS3 and 360 do not justify the 360's live subscription from everything I've experienced from both services.

I used to recommend to people that the 360 was a better gaming machine and the PS3 was a better media center a few years ago if they would ask me what to get. I honestly don't feel that's true anymore and I think that the PS3 is now the better overall console. The fact that its now practically neck and neck with the 360 despite all of its missteps early on in this console generation speaks to that. The PS3 is no PS2 by far but its still a damn good gaming machine.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 12-18-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

5 years later, I'm still not too impressed with it. The Wii/360 combo has served me well this gen. The ONLY reason I'm even remotely interested in a PS3 is to get all those JRPGs my wife wants to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Game Hoarder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've enjoyed the ps3 more than the wii and 360, but I am disappointed overall. Personally I miss the way things were last gen. I don't like short single player and I hate unfinished games, that require constant patching and firmware updates make me want to
    All your games are belong to us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I started out liking the PS3 as a universal media device. In addition, it was a very nice, fast bluray player that happened to do other things as well. I liked it so much that I got a PS3 for each home theater setup around the house instead of a stand alone bluray player. Sure you can get better players now, but for the price it can play games too. So I picked up a 60gb JPN, 60gb US and a 250gb US slim a while back.

However, I added a dedicated PC capable of playing PC games at very high settings in every TV setup around the house. So now I don't care about the other functions of the PS3. I simply use them for blurays or dvds now. I occasionally play a game on them. Now I just do my web browsing, video files/streaming, music, etc etc on a PC via a wireless keyboard with mini trackball. No need to convert video files and all that BS with the PS3. VLAN media player plus the k-lite codec pack plays anything. In addition, for cross platform games... I prefer going with the PC version due to superior graphic capabilities. Just slap on a wireless 360 pad and it feels like I'm playing on a console.

In terms of console only games, a couple games I wanted looked superior on the 360. The more time I spend on the 360, I'm finding that I like it more than the PS3. I got on the 360 train a little late due to all the red ring stuff. However, once they started churning out shmups I like on the Japanese 360 I hopped aboard. Now I've got 3 360s around the house too (JPN Elite, US Arcade, US Slim).

As for the Wii, it's the platform I like the least. Only got 1 US which I hardly use. I actually prefer to play Wii games via emulation. Once you play Wii in NATIVE HI-DEF, it's hard to go back to a real Wii. For certain games, the results look like you're playing a PS3/360 game.

In terms of games, I find that there are few PS3 exclusives that really interest me. Overall I would recommend a 360 to someone that wants to enter the current gen. I also prefer the 360 analog nubs. Certain games also look better on the 360 vs PS3 due to anti-aliasing. This is surprising to me because the 360 came out first and the PS3 was always being touted as having the powerful cell processor. So it's funny that older hardware is able to compete. However this can be simply be due to ease of programming, more robust/further evolved tools, more time to have learned the system, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I actually think the PS3 has become worse, no Linux option, no PS2 support, and not too many exclusives that I'm dying for.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Hoarder View Post
    I've enjoyed the ps3 more than the wii and 360, but I am disappointed overall. Personally I miss the way things were last gen. I don't like short single player and I hate unfinished games, that require constant patching and firmware updates make me want to
    Say good bye to the good ol' days. Consoles from here on out are going to be simplified PCs with fragile hardware. Gone are the days of simple, built like a tank consoles. Fortunately none of my current gen stuff has broken (though many of my friends have had problems). However, I did go through 5 different PS1s due to hardware problems... I hear you on the overly frequent, lengthy updates.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 12-18-2011 at 05:59 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    I started out liking the PS3 as a universal media device. In addition, it was a very nice, fast bluray player that happened to do other things as well. I liked it so much that I got a PS3 for each home theater setup around the house instead of a stand alone bluray player. Sure you can get better players now, but for the price it can play games too. So I picked up a 60gb JPN, 60gb US and a 250gb US slim a while back.

However, I added a dedicated PC capable of playing PC games at very high settings in every TV setup around the house. So now I don't care about the other functions of the PS3. I simply use them for blurays or dvds now. I occasionally play a game on them. Now I just do my web browsing, video files/streaming, music, etc etc on a PC via a wireless keyboard with mini trackball. No need to convert video files and all that BS with the PS3. VLAN media player plus the k-lite codec pack plays anything. In addition, for cross platform games... I prefer going with the PC version due to superior graphic capabilities. Just slap on a wireless 360 pad and it feels like I'm playing on a console.

In terms of console only games, a couple games I wanted looked superior on the 360. The more time I spend on the 360, I'm finding that I like it more than the PS3. I got on the 360 train a little late due to all the red ring stuff. However, once they started churning out shmups I like on the Japanese 360 I hopped aboard. Now I've got 3 360s around the house too (JPN Elite, US Arcade, US Slim).

As for the Wii, it's the platform I like the least. Only got 1 US which I hardly use. I actually prefer to play Wii games via emulation. Once you play Wii in NATIVE HI-DEF, it's hard to go back to a real Wii. For certain games, the results look like you're playing a PS3/360 game.

In terms of games, I find that there are few PS3 exclusives that really interest me. Overall I would recommend a 360 to someone that wants to enter the current gen. I also prefer the 360 analog nubs. Certain games also look better on the 360 vs PS3 due to anti-aliasing. This is surprising to me because the 360 came out first and the PS3 was always being touted as having the powerful cell processor. So it's funny that older hardware is able to compete. However this can be simply be due to ease of programming, more robust/further evolved tools, more time to have learned the system, etc...

Yup.

Say good bye to the good ol' days. Consoles from here on out are going to be simplified PCs with fragile hardware. Gone are the days of simple, built like a tank consoles. Fortunately none of my current gen stuff has broken (though many of my friends have had problems). However, I did go through 5 different PS1s due to hardware problems... I hear you on the overly frequent, lengthy updates.

What kind of PC do you need to emulate Wii???? An i7 intel core or something????
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    no PS2 support
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthlurker
    yup
    That's not a completely accurate statement.

While all PS3s post 80Gig Software compatible BC units don't play physical PS2 software, BC PS3s are still BC, they didn't strip that out in a firmware update like they did with Linux.

Those of us who got in on PS3 year one can still bust out a PS2 game whenever we feel like it, and currently Sony guarantees that a BC unit sent in for repairs will be replaced with the same make/model.

Also, ALL PS3s now have access to buy & play PS2 Classics (which are pretty much just 1:1 emulated roms in a container that runs the game appropriately) from the PSN store and the list of games in that section grows on a pretty regular basis.

So: there is SOME measure of PS2 support for all PS3 systems.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    That's not a completely accurate statement.

While all PS3s post 80Gig Software compatible BC units don't play physical PS2 software, BC PS3s are still BC, they didn't strip that out in a firmware update like they did with Linux.

Those of us who got in on PS3 year one can still bust out a PS2 game whenever we feel like it, and currently Sony guarantees that a BC unit sent in for repairs will be replaced with the same make/model.

Also, ALL PS3s now have access to buy & play PS2 Classics (which are pretty much just 1:1 emulated roms in a container that runs the game appropriately) from the PSN store and the list of games in that section grows on a pretty regular basis.

So: there is SOME measure of PS2 support for all PS3 systems.
    Oh you know what we mean by the "no ps2" lol. Actually I don't use my hardware BC ps3s anymore for ps2. The upscaling is actually pretty disappointing. Since space for an actual ps2 isn't an issue I just just use a real ps2 and feed it to a stand alone video processor. Does a much better job at picture quality and number of tweaks/options that can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    What kind of PC do you need to emulate Wii???? An i7 intel core or something????
    Nope not at all. Sure it will help but even a Core2Duo 3Ghz with only a Radeon HD5570 (low profile, low power card) can run most games at 1080p with high frame rate. The only game I've had to crank down to 720p with lower levels of interlacing in order to get a good framerate is Sonic Colors. I know it's surprising because ps2 emulation is still pretty hit or miss. However Gradius V in 1080p is jaw dropping.

Dolphin is the Wii emulator I'm talking about and it also does Gamecube games. Mario Kart Wii, House of the Dead 2&3, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, etc etc look amazing in 1080p w/ x4 anti-aliasing.

Here's a side by side comparison of gamecube emulation in Dolphin. What's surprising is that even though the target resolution of the real hardware is low, the textures look amazing at a much higher res. I was expecting the textures to look pretty bad like in ps1 or n64 emulation.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 12-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, still think it's great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    Oh you know what we mean by the "no ps2" lol.
    I do, but as much as you may know what the PS3 can do, and I know what the PS3 can do, I didn't want any casual onlooker to read "no PS2" and go about their business thinking that they've got no options whatsoever.

Since a majority of people don't like getting a pay-to-play bone thrown at them, while it may not be what any of us wanted for a BC option on a modern PS3 - PS2 Classics is undeniably something.

That, and I run into people all the time that need to be corrected about the universal PS1 compatibility with all PS3s based on them spouting some misconstrued notion that non-PS2 BC PS3's also lack PS1 compatibility.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I fire up the old PS3 once every few months when I want to play a new or interesting exclusive (love Uncharted, really enjoy Resistance and Killzone). That's it. I've even gone back to playing PS2 games on a PS2 (since the PS3's graphical enhancements are largely in the eye of the beholder IMO).

I prefer the 360 and Wii so much that I already have no desire to buy a PS4 when it come out. Unless it releases a year or so before Microsoft, I'm completely non-interested. That's something I haven't felt since the original Xbox came out.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

5 Years ago, with the 60g model, the PS3 was an overpriced, under performing, losing all its 3rd party exclusives, Jack-Tretton needs to shut-the-fuck-up, slow-ass-downloading, constantly-needing-updates, portable heater with piss poor backwards compatibility options.

Cue home burglary and replacement.

At present, with the 160g model, the PS3 is a decently priced, same as 360 visuals, no 3rd party exclusives I care about, Jack-Tretton-thankfully has shut up, slow ass-loading, constantly needing updates, over-sized paperweight with really shitty backwards compatible features and missing functions from the 60g.

If it weren't for the once a year Uncharted Christmas gift, I would have a blu-ray player that can sometimes remind me it has games.

At least they have Kevin Butler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I do, but as much as you may know what the PS3 can do, and I know what the PS3 can do, I didn't want any casual onlooker to read "no PS2" and go about their business thinking that they've got no options whatsoever.

Since a majority of people don't like getting a pay-to-play bone thrown at them, while it may not be what any of us wanted for a BC option on a modern PS3 - PS2 Classics is undeniably something.

That, and I run into people all the time that need to be corrected about the universal PS1 compatibility with all PS3s based on them spouting some misconstrued notion that non-PS2 BC PS3's also lack PS1 compatibility.
    Quote Jack Tretton: ""We will not have 2 SKUs- Xbox 360's 2 SKUs are a mistake.""

As this point trying to defend the various hardware mistakes and releases Sony has done (against their own statements) is like a battered wife trying to defend her abusive husband.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering I've bought more region locked Japanese 360 games than I have domestic PS3 games, I'd say my original thoughts haven't changed a bit. Great Blu Ray player that happens to play games. I think the only 2 titles that really got me interested for any length of time were Demon Souls and 3d Dot Game Heroes. It was an ambitious product when it was released, but that isn't always a good thing.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I still view my PS3 as a nice Blu Ray player that also has the ability to play video games. My 360 is still my primary current gen system of choice save the occasional Sony exclusive or multi platform game that has additional features.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The first year the PS3 was pretty crappy with pretty much no good exclusives. Since then, the console has quickly risen above the 360 when it comes to having better exclusives.

Keeping only the PS3 wasn't a very bad trade off, since it saves at most $50, now $60, a year to play games online. There are very few games on the 360 that are exclusive to the console that I want to play. With out paying an additional yearly fee I can use features such as Netflix as well. Even though PS3 has no cross game chat, neither does the 360 when you don't pay for Xbox Live, and that's really the only thing I'm missing. So I've saved a potential of $250 by doing online gaming on the PS3 which works just as good as the 360. The only problem was that it was a full month that the service wasn't available due to the PSN being hacked.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Quote Jack Tretton: ""We will not have 2 SKUs- Xbox 360's 2 SKUs are a mistake.""

As this point trying to defend the various hardware mistakes and releases Sony has done (against their own statements) is like a battered wife trying to defend her abusive husband.
    I'm not defending any bad PR or negative consumer reception, companies put their feet in their mouths all the time, I have nothing to do with that and I don't view it any differently than anybody else.

Loss of BC sucks, I hated it when it happened and I hate it now, but as much as it pisses some people off I don't throw my hands in the air and write companies off when they make bone-headed moves. Not Sony, not Nintendo, not Microsoft, not Sega, not Atari, none of them.

My only intention was clarifying that a definitive statement "no PS2 support" where no=zero was not accurate.

You can still play PS2 games on BC units, and now non BC units have the option to buy a growing library of PS2 games on the PSN store. That's a fact. Period.