Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 or so odd years later , has your opinion changed on ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I paid $500 for the 60gig (BC) PS3, right before the 80gig models came out. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword and Modern Warfare on the console, but the software selection was pretty slim back in 2007. I eventually cracked and bought a 360 Elite about 5 months later.

The 360 became my go to console from 2007 to 2009, but as the PS3 library grew, it started getting more of my playtime. I prefer the trophy system over the acheivement points with the 360. The 3rd party games are pretty much identical, since they finally figured out how to work with the PS3 hardware. And I really haven't played online games in the past year, so I feel like I've wasted $60 for a service I haven't been using.

I also have a really nice gaming PC, but I still play it less than the 2 consoles. I even bought Skyrim on the PS3, since I can sit on the couch and play with surround sound in the livingroom. Yeah, I could drag my PC out there, but it's too much of a chore to move it around and then put it back.

Right now, the PS3 is my favorite source for gaming. It doesn't hurt that I can pop in a Blu-Ray movie from time to time either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There was a bit where I was into the PS3 more for gaming than movie viewing but that's ebbed a bit. I have the fewest games for it, most being exclusives save for Mass Effect 2, Burnout: Paradise and Battlefield 1943. Then again, my modern consoles haven't seen too much use as of late anyway.

As for the comment on fragile hardware, I have to agree I haven't been too fond of this gen. Going through two replacements of two of my consoles (360 and PS3), I don't look forward to the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    5 Years ago, with the 60g model, the PS3 was an overpriced, under performing, losing all its 3rd party exclusives, Jack-Tretton needs to shut-the-fuck-up, slow-ass-downloading, constantly-needing-updates, portable heater with piss poor backwards compatibility options.

Cue home burglary and replacement.

At present, with the 160g model, the PS3 is a decently priced, same as 360 visuals, no 3rd party exclusives I care about, Jack-Tretton-thankfully has shut up, slow ass-loading, constantly needing updates, over-sized paperweight with really shitty backwards compatible features and missing functions from the 60g.

If it weren't for the once a year Uncharted Christmas gift, I would have a blu-ray player that can sometimes remind me it has games.

At least they have Kevin Butler.

This.

I bought my BC PS3 as a HD PS2, Blu Ray, Media streaming player and that's pretty much how it has remained, the first couple or years of really sub par ports of cross platform games was a turn off to me at the time and as I invested more time in the 360 I continue to use that as my platform of choice. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed some gaming on the PS3, ie. MGS4 and the Uncharteds but I suppose the rocky start left me hooked as a 360 gamer.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Five years later, I still don't own one. :P There are some exclusives that interest me, but none had me excited enough to run out and buy the system immediately, especially not for the ridiculous price it used to be (and it's still too expensive for me; I got my 360 for under $200 YEARS ago).

While I haven't exactly been using my 360 heavily either, most home console games this generation that I wanted to buy right away have either been exclusive to it, came out on it first (like Star Ocean 4), or were multiplatform. That doesn't leave much reason to make getting a PS3 a priority. I'll pick one up eventually and I'm sure I'll enjoy it then, but for now, meh.

It's quite an amazing switcheroo too. I still haven't bought an original Xbox because it has so little that interests me, and I have a mountain of PS2 games that I don't even know how I ended up with (just buying games here and there that were interesting) and lots more I'd like. How the heck did the 360 manage to get so many Japanese-developed games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    How the heck did the 360 manage to get so many Japanese-developed games?
    MS must have spread some cash around for that to happen. The 360 bombed in Japan and even its best selling titles over there barely cracked 80k.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 12-18-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

It's much easier to develop for than the PS3. No Cell!

I'm one of those guys who got badly burned by the Xbox 360 red ring fiasco early in the life of this console generation, so my perspective is tainted. I play (most) multi-platform games on the PS3 purely from habit. The exceptions are the rare FPS I play and Elder Scrolls titles.

The PS3 is fine I guess, but there's little to distinguish it from the 360 at all other than Blu-Ray playback. I mean, it's fine. You know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rumor in the SHMUP world is that Sony does not allow letterboxing of any kind. That seems a bit suspect, but pretty much all of the devs went to the 360 with just a couple of PS3 releases.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    The fact that its now practically neck and neck with the 360 despite all of its missteps early on in this console generation speaks to that.
    Actually that speaks more of the koolaid that the Japanese drink when it comes to Sony. The 360 being made in the US automatically means they won't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    The rumor in the SHMUP world is that Sony does not allow letterboxing of any kind. That seems a bit suspect, but pretty much all of the devs went to the 360 with just a couple of PS3 releases.
    I was told that as early as last gen Sony didn't really want that many 2D games on their systen, specifically shooters. This is why the 360 (and original Xbox before it) got more of those games, Microsoft welcomed them with open arms. Of course I have never had this officially confirmed but assuming it's true I've always wondered why Sony wouldn't change this stance when the 2D shmup genre is still very popular in Japan. And as already stated, they won't even touch the plentiful amount of shmup games on the 360 because they're missing that "made in Japan" sticker they crave.

As for my opinion on the PS3, it's come a long way from being an overpriced paperweight with a pretty weak launch line up, horrible marketing and some of the worst PR sound bites ever. Today they have a fair amount of first party exclusives, the system is much more reasonably priced and Kevin Butler deserves an award for helping turn the companies image around. He's much more amusing than a creepy laughing baby in a white room.

Having said all of that, I still seldom find myself turning the system on. Despite having three fully working PS3's, the last time I turned it on was to get free Home swag during the relaunch. The exclusives are nice but they just haven't resonated with me. I tried MAG and stopped playing after two days because it was just so generic. Then I found Resistance and was really getting into it until the flood of holiday games hit.

So today I don't see the PS3 as a bad system at all but despite the bluray player, exclusives like Uncharted and free online multiplayer, it doesn't do nearly enough to pull me away from my 360. My opinion from when it launched has definitely changed but not enough to make it the most played current gen system in my house.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Game Hoarder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    Say good bye to the good ol' days. Consoles from here on out are going to be simplified PCs with fragile hardware. Gone are the days of simple, built like a tank consoles. Fortunately none of my current gen stuff has broken (though many of my friends have had problems). However, I did go through 5 different PS1s due to hardware problems... I hear you on the overly frequent, lengthy updates.

My first 360 damaged the discs from heat and my ps3 60gb got ylod from overheating. I decided to fix the ps3 myself, because the warranty expired. After I disassembled it and replaced the thermal compound, I had it working again. I played it for about a month and then a firmware update bricked it.

It's depressing to think about the future of consoles. So far I'm not interested in buying a wii-u, 3ds, or even vita. There's a good chance that I'll just skip 8th gen altogether and just collect for the consoles I already have.
    All your games are belong to us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I was told that as early as last gen Sony didn't really want that many 2D games on their systen, specifically shooters. This is why the 360 (and original Xbox before it) got more of those games, Microsoft welcomed them with open arms. Of course I have never had this officially confirmed but assuming it's true I've always wondered why Sony wouldn't change this stance when the 2D shmup genre is still very popular in Japan. And as already stated, they won't even touch the plentiful amount of shmup games on the 360 because they're missing that "made in Japan" sticker they crave.
    I've heard that as well, now that I think about it. Perhaps both are part of the same desire for HD games to make the system look impressive. <shrug>

I think the bulk of SHMUPS on the 360 are made by Japanese devs, in particular, Cave. I don't follow any of the ones on XBLA though, just disk releases, so that may be where I'm unfamiliar with the titles in the library. Even the ones released in the US on disk are just ports of JPN titles.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I like both systems and my opinion of the PS3 has not changed since launch. I still enjoy it as much as I did back then and find myself using it more than the 360 as of now. I use it mostly to play dvds, blu-rays, store/watch videos and music on it and some PS3 exclusives on it (MGS4, GoW 3, Collection and Origins, Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls). While I like the 360 as well, I realize I'm not that crazy about this generation of games. While I have found many I DO love (besides the ones I listed), I'm just not loving it as previous generations. I actually find myself playing or replaying many more classic games now...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Actually that speaks more of the koolaid that the Japanese drink when it comes to Sony. The 360 being made in the US automatically means they won't buy it.
    I won't deny that the Japanese public seems to be unreasonably disinterested in the 360, however that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is now close to the 360's total sales numbers despite all of the stupid moves made in the first few years of this console generation.

The US market is the only major market that the PS3 is lagging behind in. Its not just the Japanese being Japanese.

I've heard that as well, now that I think about it. Perhaps both are part of the same desire for HD games to make the system look impressive. <shrug>

I think the bulk of SHMUPS on the 360 are made by Japanese devs, in particular, Cave. I don't follow any of the ones on XBLA though, just disk releases, so that may be where I'm unfamiliar with the titles in the library. Even the ones released in the US on disk are just ports of JPN titles.
    Its not an unreasonable assumption, I've heard that both Sony and Nintendo discouraged 2D games on both the PS1 and N64 initially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    I think the bulk of SHMUPS on the 360 are made by Japanese devs, in particular, Cave.
    You misunderstood me. I'm saying that Japanese gamers won't buy them because they are on the 360, an American made console. I know that the majority of them are made by Japanese developers but in order for the Japanese to buy them they would have to be on a Japanese made system(PS3 or Wii), hence the "made in Japan" sticker reference.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I won't deny that the Japanese public seems to be unreasonably disinterested in the 360, however that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is now close to the 360's total sales numbers despite all of the stupid moves made in the first few years of this console generation.
    Nobody said it changed the fact, I was just putting it into perspective. If one system only sells well in two regions and one sells well in three regions, eventually the one selling well in three regions will catch up to the one that only sells well in two regions, regardless of any head start. And for the record, both console makers had their share of stupid moves.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Mine has been and likely always will be a movie player first and a gaming console second.

I have over 100 Xbox 360 games and just 12 PS3 games, all exclusives except Dark Souls.

I think my perception of the machine is still the same as it was 5 years ago. I don't like waiting for updates, so my machine is normally offline.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

And as already stated, they won't even touch the plentiful amount of shmup games on the 360 because they're missing that "made in Japan" sticker they crave.
    Uh, you do realize that there are countless products from the US and elsewhere in the world that the Japanese adore, right? And if you want to open up that can of worms, suggesting that Japanese gamers are isolationist or close-minded or whatever, then you have to acknowledge the large percentage of the American gaming populace that would never consider playing that "gay ass Jap shit" (sorry for using such vulgar language, but that's honestly how they would put it).

The real problem with the Xbox line in Japan is that Microsoft isn't remotely in tune with the wants and needs of Japanese gamers. They've gotten a lot better in that regard, but when they started out, it was just laughably bad. They basically had an approach of "Well, if this works in the US, it must work in Japan too." So with the original Xbox, they release a monster of a system in a country that's tight on living space, with that Duke controller that they can barely wrap their smaller hands around, with a library of games that's loaded with FPS titles, in a country where a large percentage of gamers report having motion sickness from FPS games, and other completely American-centric games and almost no games representing the favorite genre in Japan, RPGs (and not of the Western variety unless it's something like Wizardry). So even though Microsoft has learned a lot about what appeals to the Japanese, they basically left a legacy of awfulness in the eyes of the Japanese with their first video game system, and I'm sure that has hurt the 360 a lot over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that the original Xbox didn't appeal to the taste of Japanese gamers at all. But after this gen I don't think theres anything they could have done to win Japan over. And I don't mean be a huge success, just sell on a level that would be simiiar to the other systems selling there. But I don't want to derail the thread. I was just pointing out that Sony's three region advantage will always mean they will sell more units world wide.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Uh, you do realize that there are countless products from the US and elsewhere in the world that the Japanese adore, right?
    You realize that games aren't one of those countless products, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure she knows. She was just pointing that out because I made it appear that the Japanese won't buy any American made products, which is absolutely not true. I hear apple(among others) does quite well over there.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nobody said it changed the fact, I was just putting it into perspective. If one system only sells well in two regions and one sells well in three regions, eventually the one selling well in three regions will catch up to the one that only sells well in two regions, regardless of any head start. And for the record, both console makers had their share of stupid moves.
    The same could be said about the 360 and the US. In the US the 360 has 36 million and PS3 has 22 million. In Japan the 360 has 6 million and PS3 has 13 million. Three times the amount of PS3s in Japan would almost equal the amount of 360s in the US so if you were to multiple both by three it'd be 39 million and 18 million. Or if you divide the US numbers by three you'd have 12 million and 7.3 million.

When you either multiply or divide the sales figures to be similar, the end results really aren't all that different. It shows that the US favors the 360 almost as much as Japan favors the PS3.

Europe is the only region which sales are almost equal, the PS3 only ahead by a few million.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-18-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.