Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 5 or so odd years later , has your opinion changed on ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The same could be said about the 360 and the US. In the US the 360 has 36 million and PS3 has 22 million. In Japan the 360 has 6 million and PS3 has 13 million. Three times the amount of PS3s in Japan would almost equal the amount of 360s in the US so if you were to multiple both by three it'd be 39 million and 18 million.

When you multiply the sales figures to be similar, the end results really aren't all that different. It shows that the US favors the 360 almost as much as Japan favors the PS3.

Europe is the only region which sales are almost equal, the PS3 only ahead by a few million.
    Kupo where did you get your numbers? The 360 hasn't even sold 2 million units in Japan despite being in the market for over 5 years. I think they have barely sold 1 million units there.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Kupo where did you get your numbers? The 360 hasn't even sold 2 million units in Japan despite being in the market for over 5 years. I think they have barely sold 1 million units there.
    While VGChartz isn't entirely accurate and wait for the NPD to post the newest numbers, I go there because it's correct up to a point and gives a good general idea.

The consoles can only be broken down by US/Europe/Asia-Pacific. While Asia is a pretty big continent, you have to assume most of the people purchasing and playing games in that continent are the Chinese and the Japanese and they're practically the same race. Kidding about that last sentence, but I don't think the console is released outside of those two areas in that region. Maybe Korea.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-18-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There are Western games that are successful in Japan. The aforementioned Wizardry is a good example, which was probably even more popular in Japan than elsewhere. Check out the info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When they first came out I figured they were overpriced and my Xbox360 was all I would need, but I got a good deal on one a couple of years ago and now I love mine. I play games on it all the time, as well as Blu-Rays, DVDs, Netflix, PSX games and PSN games. The 360 is clearly superior for certain titles, but for the ones where it doesn't matter so much I just get them on PS3. I've enjoyed the Uncharted series, God of War III and some other PS3 exclusives. And for some reason I like the way the PSN store is set up better than the Xbox Live, I even subscribed to PSN Plus for early access to a beta and then just kept it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Five years into the systems cycle, I can say that I have mixed feelings about the PS3. I think that the company has done a good job recovering from a terrible start, a horrible starting price, and corporate blunders in both advertising and direction of the console. As much as the PS3 BC issue totally pissed people off, I think that seeing the PS2 HD collections come out as a nice way for them to recover. Here are my thoughts

Pros:
    Blu Ray Player
    All in one media streaming device
    Console Exclusives are OK...they have gotten better
    Free Online Play
    PSP ad hoc is awesome

Cons:
    Price is still $250...not really making me want to jump out and buy one.
    Many of my friends still dont have one...making multiplayer with them a no go
    Move is stupid

Again, I think that the system is decent, and probably has a good couple of years left before it starts to be phased out. I currently have a 20GB and really would like to get another updated model with wireless. I think that when new systems hit the $199 mark I think I will spring for another one. I currently have been playing my 360 and Wii more, but still think that the PS3 is a sold choice for gaming...even with its flaws.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Five years later and I still don't have a PS3. Of course, I didn't have a 360 until getting one as a gift a year and a half ago, so I'll just wait for the same thing to happen for the PS3. I could be waiting for a while...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My PS3 is only a Blu-ray movie player as for my Xbox 360 is played everyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My opinion on the PS3 hasn't really changed from 5 years ago. I knew that it would eventually have a solid lineup of games, and probably the best exclusives on the market. I still think launching the console at $599 was a colossal fuck up on Sony's part, and I still think that's the biggest reason why it remains in 3rd place to this day even though it's down to affordable prices now. The BC was never an issue with me, if I wanna play PS2 games, I'll play them on my PS2. The PS3 has come a long way from it's disasterous launch though.

I've never been disappointed with the PS3 as far as the machine itself and the games. I've had mine for 4 years with no problems, it does everything you could possibly want a modern gaming console to do, and it has the best exclusives around. The way Sony went about launching it with its high price tag, the arrogant attitude they had at the time, and the way they marketed it as a computer and/or entertainment center instead of a gaming console first and foremost were all factors that caused it to get off to a sluggish start.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 12-19-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My opinion hasn't changed much. It's the very best PS2 on the market (at least mine is), and Sony has done a great job supporting Blu Ray on the system.

I like PS3, but it's not my main system. When people ask which system they should get I still recommend 360, unless you just have to one of Sony's exclusives. They get my vote for "most improved system" of this generation, but it still has more to do to measure up to the experience 360 provides.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 5 or so odd years later , has your opinion changed on ps3?

When they first came out I said no way, too rich for my blood! Then when they came down in price and were more affordable, I happened to be in Walmart and they had Batman Arkham Asylum you could play, and from that moment on I was hooked! Love both Batman games, all three Uncharted games, and the Infamous games. Glad to see Rayman Origins, just not sure which platform game is best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Five years into the systems cycle, I can say that I have mixed feelings about the PS3. I think that the company has done a good job recovering from a terrible start, a horrible starting price, and corporate blunders in both advertising and direction of the console. As much as the PS3 BC issue totally pissed people off, I think that seeing the PS2 HD collections come out as a nice way for them to recover. Here are my thoughts

Pros:
    Blu Ray Player
    All in one media streaming device
    Console Exclusives are OK...they have gotten better
    Free Online Play
    PSP ad hoc is awesome

Cons:
    Price is still $250...not really making me want to jump out and buy one.
    Many of my friends still dont have one...making multiplayer with them a no go
    Move is stupid

Again, I think that the system is decent, and probably has a good couple of years left before it starts to be phased out. I currently have a 20GB and really would like to get another updated model with wireless. I think that when new systems hit the $199 mark I think I will spring for another one. I currently have been playing my 360 and Wii more, but still think that the PS3 is a sold choice for gaming...even with its flaws.
    I don't think $250 is too much for the PS3 at all. Everybody seems to want everything for nothing these days.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

$250 is good at launch, but it's WAY too much 5 years later when the system probably doesn't even have that much left in its lifespan. Like I pointed out earlier, I got my Arcade model 360 for $160 three years ago. Granted that was on sale so the standard price was $200, but even that's less than what the PS3 is three years later. That's just sad. I remember the days when after this many years a system would be down to $100.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    $250 is good at launch, but it's WAY too much 5 years later when the system probably doesn't even have that much left in its lifespan. Like I pointed out earlier, I got my Arcade model 360 for $160 three years ago. Granted that was on sale so the standard price was $200, but even that's less than what the PS3 is three years later. That's just sad. I remember the days when after this many years a system would be down to $100.
    Okay. You got a arcade model of a console that doesn't have integrated wireless, doesn't have a bluray player, and doesn't come standard with a hard drive, and only 256mb of memory. Let's not forget that you got that console "on sale." Three years ago the PS3 would have been $349. Three years ago Bluray players would cost more than the $70 you can get them for right now.

When people say they got something on sale and use it to justify a lower price, it's just stupid. It's not like the items you're complaining about can't go on sale or haven't went on sale.

The 360 Slim has been released and it's priced at $199 with 4GB flash memory. Better reliability and integrated wireless. So for $50 more you can get one of the best, if not the best Bluray players out there, plus a 120GB hard drive. The extra $50 is more than worth it.

So pricewise, it's not very expensive in comparison to what else is on the market. Unless you want to pay $149 for a Wii, or rather "throw $149 away."

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I didn't use the sale price to justify anything. I said myself that the full price was $200 back then, which was still cheaper than the PS3 now.

It really doesn't matter what extra features one has over the other if you don't care about those features. If you're only buying them as game consoles to play physically released games, you don't need a lot of memory for your save files and such, and you don't need anything else either. The graphics of the two systems are comparable, so if I had bought a PS3 three years when it was $350, I would have been paying an extra $150 (that's not counting the sale) for jack (besides PS3 exclusives).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The graphics of the two systems are comparable, so if I had bought a PS3 three years when it was $350, I would have been paying an extra $150 (that's not counting the sale) for jack (besides PS3 exclusives).
    Not sure if you play games online, and if you don't then it doesn't matter, but if you do, the $150 you saved by purchasing the 360 would have been used on Xbox Live Gold.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't, which is why I also don't care about it lacking integrated wireless. The types of games I typically play either don't go online or aren't worth taking online. I think I got a free trial of Xbox Live Gold, but I did nothing with it when I had it.

Actually, I don't think I've ever gone online with a game period, not on a system at least. I have gone online with some emulators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I don't think $250 is too much for the PS3 at all. Everybody seems to want everything for nothing these days.
    I dont want something for nothing, I just dont see the current prices for the PS3 as motivating anyone on running out and buying one. I also think that by 5 years into the cycle...Sony blundered an opportunity to sell a "value PS3 for the holidays for sub-200. Instead they bundled in bigger hard drives and game bundles to up the "value"...and the price. Xbox does this too but at least offers and has offered an Arcade system that is very reasonably priced and has done so for a long time.

Blu Ray players are down to $50 to $75 and can even offer apps. For the PS3 to complete, they are going to have to do better with their system price. The truth is that currently the Xbox is doing a better job showcasing itself as a gaming device. Sales numbers speak volumes.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I dont want something for nothing, I just dont see the current prices for the PS3 as motivating anyone on running out and buying one. I also think that by 5 years into the cycle...Sony blundered an opportunity to sell a "value PS3 for the holidays for sub-200. Instead they bundled in bigger hard drives and game bundles to up the "value"...and the price. Xbox does this too but at least offers and has offered an Arcade system that is very reasonably priced and has done so for a long time.

Blu Ray players are down to $50 to $75 and can even offer apps. For the PS3 to complete, they are going to have to do better with their system price. The truth is that currently the Xbox is doing a better job showcasing itself as a gaming device. Sales numbers speak volumes.
    I'm not saying you specifically, but it just seems like any price drop for the PS3 is never good enough for anyone? I still walk into game stores and hear people bitching and complaining that it's too expensive. The 4GB Xbox 360 that's $199 is a complete joke, I would gladly pay the extra $50 and have a 160GB PS3 w/ Blu Ray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 years later and I still don't have one either. I've thought about it though, and I'll probably get one at some point.

I haven't bit at $250 and I wasn't biting at $199 on Black Friday with those bundles either. I'll probably eventually have to get it around $200 through some slickdeal / fatwallet ad, but I'm ideally waiting for $150.

However, if the new Twisted Metal gets 8.5 reviews or better, I may finally be forced to take the plunge.

Blu-Ray might mean something to some of you, but absolutely nothing to me. I don't watch a ton of movies, so that doesn't influence my buying decision at all.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Unless you want to pay $149 for a Wii, or rather "throw $149 away."
    You give me the giggles.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.