Thread: Hello World On PS Vita, Thanks to Buffer Overflow [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Hello World On PS Vita, Thanks to Buffer Overflow [Slashdot]

YokimaSun writes "Mamosuke, a PSP Homebrewer from Japan, has posted the first Hello World on the PS Vita which comes from the PSP Emulator in the console. Using a buffer overflow, he has found a way into the PSVita, and with many PSP Game exploits still around and not published for the whole homebrew and hacking community this means that in the short term homebrew is here on the PSvita. Lets hope this is the start of a true PSVita homebrew scene."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Wow, the Vita already got de-virgin-ized.

Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

And so it begins..

Hopefully the Vita isn't killed in the west before it even gets its legs by rampant piracy, which weather it impacts sales or not will give publishers just the excuse they need to not release games on the platform. That being said this is one of the advantages of picking up launch hardware over waiting for the next version to be released, if you want access to the homebrew scene its almost always easier on launch hardware rather then the next version down the line.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    And so it begins..

Hopefully the Vita isn't killed in the west before it even gets its legs by rampant piracy, which weather it impacts sales or not will give publishers just the excuse they need to not release games on the platform. That being said this is one of the advantages of picking up launch hardware over waiting for the next version to be released, if you want access to the homebrew scene its almost always easier on launch hardware rather then the next version down the line.
    Unless you're buying Nintendo products, in which case the next version down the line is easier to crack than the last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was bound to happen eventually but thats what firmware updates are for.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

While it's nice I'll probably be able to play PS2 games on my Vita, this was something I hoped wouldn't happen. I don't mind having the system with homebrew, but if they'd only go as far as homebrew and not wide open to allow everyone to pirate everything. People might say piracy isn't what killed the PSP but it's quite obvious that it did. We can only hope that homebrew is the only thing that remains accessible so the system continues to get games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't aware the PSP had been 'killed'.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I wasn't aware the PSP had been 'killed'.
    I wasn't aware of this either, but the endless stream of FPSs, knock-offs, an cookie cutter JRPGs (all sold at high prices) kinda make the system dead to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bet the percentage of PSP's that ever were modded was well under 5% of total production. So I doubt this will be a major problem for the platform.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I bet the percentage of PSP's that ever were modded was well under 5% of total production. So I doubt this will be a major problem for the platform.
    Under 5% sounds believable, strangely enough. I had a launch PSP and was in on the whole modding craze. Other than just being a pain in the ass to mod (unlike now), most people were more interested in using the system as an emulator for older systems than to pirate new games. From what I'm gathering, it's still like that, although the numbers have shifted a bit, likely due to the PSP being cheaper now.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Under 5% sounds believable, strangely enough. I had a launch PSP and was in on the whole modding craze. Other than just being a pain in the ass to mod (unlike now), most people were more interested in using the system as an emulator for older systems than to pirate new games. From what I'm gathering, it's still like that, although the numbers have shifted a bit, likely due to the PSP being cheaper now.

This. I've never pirated a PSP game even once but all I use my modded PSP for is emulators. Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Game Gear just look so much better on it and some PS1 games that don't need all the buttons work well too. NES and Genesis/CD are pretty good on it too. SNES is the main one where PSP isn't powerful enough to handle it at good speeds. It makes me glad that some of the best SNES games were ported to or remade for the GBA.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    SNES is the main one where PSP isn't powerful enough to handle it at good speeds. It makes me glad that some of the best SNES games were ported to or remade for the GBA.
    Really depends on the emulator. I've tried multiple emulators and came to one that I found works the best. Probably half the games it could run with 0 frame skip and not drop speed other than when loading the next screen, so I usually keep those on auto. A fourth of the games would run 60/30 with frame skip 1, and the fact that I you can't really tell the difference is a plus. The only games that the best SNES emulators run slow are those with Mode 7(Terranigma runs fine everything else seems bleh,) a lot of moving layers, or 3D style graphics.

The GBA worked near perfect though. The only games that I ended up having problems with were Golden Sun, but only during battle. Outside of battle it'd run 60fps. I eventually found one that during battle it'd run well except the middle of the characters attacks, it dropped frames.

If they get homebrew working, but don't get through the game card protection that'd be best for the system.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems like the exploit is limited to PSP emulation, which would make it sandboxed from the rest of the system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, if Sony actually opened up the hardware themselves for homebrew they wouldn't have this problem.

I honestly don't believe in the tales of piracy killing the platform, timed obsolescence is a far more agile killer.