Thread: Famulator Controller to NES help please! Need DB-9 pinout

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default Famulator Controller to NES help please! Need DB-9 pinout

Hey all, my favorite Famiclone the Famulator went kaput recently but I'd like to reuse its Famiclone controllers on the NES by replacing the DB-9 cord with an NES 7pin cord. The problem is that I have no idea how to go about getting it to actually work.

Does anyone here happen to know where I may possibly find Famicom DB-9 controller pinouts?

Looking around, time and again I find the common dendy one, like the one shown on the right of this image

The problem is that the Famulator does NOT use this pinout. I've hacked apart the DB-9 cord to try and learn its secrets, and this is what I discovered.

Rather than look like this:

it instead looks like this:

the signals are for this pinout the top middle three and the bottom outer two.

Because I hacked apart the controller edge, I know what color wires each pin corresponds to

x ORG YEL RED x
    BLK x x BRN

but even knowing all this still doesn't yield any results. Soldering an NES cord to each of the five wires and then plugging it in to my nes and running the nintendo joypad test via the powerpak yeilds no results, so I know for certain that the pinout for the dandy Famiclones is not correct. I've tried many different sequences and they all come out as bad.

So i need help finding a pinout that will work. If it'll help, I'll gladly post a pic of the controller PCB, though as its a gloptop I'm not sure how much help that would be.

I'm sure I had read something about Famiclone pinouts on the nesdev wiki in the past
    all I can find is the tutorial that I wrote myself
    http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/N...roller_for_Wii

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you transfer the chip? I assume it's not going to fit on the board the same way, but maybe you could take the points where the switch contacts on the Famiclone controller connect to the chip, and wire those points to the corresponding pins on the NES chip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

+5, ground, and N/A should be easy enough to find with a multimeter. The others would be hard to tell without an oscilloscope but it at least narrows down the possibilities. There is also a small chance that the chip could get/got fried wiring it up incorrectly. Does an actual NES and a Famiclone even necessarily have to use the same data signals? Because if they don't, then you're out of luck. Otherwise, it's just a matter of plugging away at it until it works.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...