Thread: XRGB Frame Meister Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XRGB Frame Meister Review

Fudoh/Tobias just reviewed the successor to the XRGB-3 upscaler, and it's supposed to be a significant improvement:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

I can't wait to try this out with my oldschool consoles, but the $500 price tag stings. Who else is getting this?

ps - my XRGB-2+ is for sale if anyone wants a nice "beginner" upscaler at a reasonable (in comparison to the FM) price!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I considered picking one of these upscallers up.

The problem being that I just can't see its worth in 500 bucks, from what I understand what these things convert the lower resolution signals from older consoles into a signal that newer TV's can read with clarity. In addition they can add effects like scan lines to the image to look as close to an older CRT as possible. Unless I'm missing something that about sums it up right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I considered picking one of these upscallers up.

The problem being that I just can't see its worth in 500 bucks, from what I understand what these things convert the lower resolution signals from older consoles into a signal that newer TV's can read with clarity. In addition they can add effects like scan lines to the image to look as close to an older CRT as possible. Unless I'm missing something that about sums it up right?
    While I’m by no means the upscaler king (that would be Fudoh, the dude who wrote the review), upscalers take low-res content and make them pretty on high-res panels. Blu-Ray players such as PS3 upscale standard definition DVDs with generally great results from my experience (via HDMI, that is). The XRGB line gets considerable attention from classic gamers because it can make the picture “pretty” and produce a minimal, generally unnoticeable amount of latency due to the image processing.

Lag sucks, and the XRGB line is great at minimizing it. According to what I’ve read the FM produces less than a frame of lag, which is outstanding—but still too much for Third Strike purists!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

damn i was hoping this would be the one that finally gets marketed for those of us who dont have trustfunds or defense contracts with the us government

i honestly thought with the whole "mini" thing this would be in the 200 dollar range, na fuck that, i cant justify 500 dollars on something i only plan on using with my saturn and ps1.....PASS
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the higher-end AV receivers will upscale standard def signals to HD too. I paid around $600 for my Onkyo receiver almost 2 years ago and PS1 & PS2 games look great on it. It's something to consider if you plan on dropping $500 on one of these dedicated upscalers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Some of the higher-end AV receivers will upscale standard def signals to HD too. I paid around $600 for my Onkyo receiver almost 2 years ago and PS1 & PS2 games look great on it. It's something to consider if you plan on dropping $500 on one of these dedicated upscalers.
    A lot of upscalers will make SD content look fabulous. But that's only one reason to get an XRGB unit. While I haven't tried every upscaler out there, XRGB (2+, 3, FM) is supposed to be the gold standard when it come to low latency gameplay.

I have no idea what type of processing lag your Onkyo produces, but I'm willing to bet the newer XRGB devices are faster.