Quote Originally Posted by R.Sakai View Post
Being that kid who always had to get up in the middle of night to get any games in, let me tell you:

The little high pitched tune with the red Japanese text that showed up before levels creeped me the hell out, every damn time.

Looking back, I remember that game's atmosphere being fairly creepy/dark, actually. And bombs, so much bomb spam.
Yes, YES!!! That quick little burst of 4 or so of bended notes is creepy as hell, ain't it! I never really thought about it, but you're right about Ninja Spirit's atmosphere being creepy and dark. I suppose my being oblivious to this is akin to fish forgetting that they are swimming in water.

Since you appreciate the dark preternatural atmosphere of Ninja Spirit, R. Sakai, let me plug one of my favorite Japanese flash games of all time: Underworld Trip.

It's a short platformer with an awesome Atari 2600, pixelated aesthetic, where you run through the different levels of the Japanese Underworld. I love the hell out of it, and hopefully you'll dig it too. Below is the url to the thread I started where I shared with the dp crew my love for this lil' dark gem.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158350

Oh, returning to your final comment: bomb spam doesn't work for the Arcade mode all the way through like it does on the PC Engine mode. I'm not sure, but I think on level 6, which I am currently on in my Wii game, the sword or sickle and chain is my only hope.